How to get back a lost map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bunker Junker, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Bunker Junker

Bunker Junker L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Today Hammer started acting all funny while I was trying to make a map, so I decided to get off and try again later. Once I got back on, the Hammer logo was replaced by some white paper logo, I pressed it and it told me that this shortcut no longer works, and pretty much forced me to delete it. After that I reinstalled hammer and the ABS's resource pack, only to find out all of the saved files of maps I had are gone, any way I can get them back?

I've tried downloading my map and sticking it in the mapsrc file, but it's not a VMF file so it doesn't show up.

Thanks.

2. Spartykins

Spartykins L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Not quite sure I understand, did you also delete your .vmf files as well when you uninstalled Hammer? Or were these saved somewhere else on your drive?

3. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    If you no longer have the vmf of your map, and only have the compiled .BSP, you can decompile your map using a tool such as BSPSource. Unfortunately this wont be 100% accurate and there will be some slight differences, but in this situation its your best option

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bunker Junker

Positive Ratings:
    I tried figuring out on how to get the tool running, but I couldn't figure out how to get it running, as it kept failing.

Welp, guess I'm screwed now.

But thanks for trying to help Necro, I appreciate it.

5. Tango

Tango L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Storing your maps on a different folder, in a USB or best Dropbox can help prevent this from happening again. Personaly I use Dropbox since it's free and can be accessed anywhere, anytime. (With an internet connection of course)

6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Dropbox also does versioning iirc.

7. Bunker Junker

Positive Ratings:
    So it can turn BSPs into VMFs? (Sorry for late reply.)

8. Tango

Tango L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    No it can only store that file.

9. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    What I meant is that it doesn't just store the file. It stores all past versions of the file too.

10. Dr. Bum |SCG|

Dr. Bum |SCG| L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    If you still can't locate it, you can try refreshing your computer to a set restore point.

11. Bunker Junker

Positive Ratings:
    Ah alright.

12. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    I'm guessing you don't have Java installed cause that's what it needs.

13. Bunker Junker

Positive Ratings:
    I had it installed, but it still didn't work, probably downloaded the wrong one in that case.

But I don't wanna have to go through the process of picking the right one, as it was already a headache to find out how to get it working.