Holiday Warpath Artpass Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHeroes

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2008
A bit off topic but it's relevant to our interests here.

NoHeroes, how high up in the administration of No Heroes are you? Are you a lowly admin who volunteered to speak with us, or are you one of the top people who know what's going on in their community.

Also, do you guys have servers that allow alpha map testing, or does your playerbase prefer detailed betas. Whether it's alphas or betas, could you provide a link to your forum, or an admin to contact, to request the addition of a map to any custom servers you own and run.

Oh and I see you're a sponsor. Thanks.

I am the top dog in No Heroes ;)

Everything you've asked is covered in the section of our forums dedicated to the contest (links in the first post). I encourage anyone who has additional questions to follow the instructions and ask them there (to avoid having to maintain two lines of communication).

Konata

Jul 23, 2010
I am the top dog in No Heroes ;)

Everything you've asked is covered in the section of our forums dedicated to the contest (links in the first post). I encourage anyone who has additional questions to follow the instructions and ask them there (to avoid having to maintain two lines of communication).

I see, thank you.

EDIT: Actually, I can't find this information anywhere on your site. I'd like to look at it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited:

NoHeroes

Oct 16, 2008

Konata

Jul 23, 2010
Again, it's in the forum section dedicated to the contest (You need to be registered on the forums). Look in the FAQ:

http://www.no-heroes.com/forums2/index.php?/forum/87-tf2-holiday-warpath-artpass-contest/

See, that is my issue with being linked to the other forums... I feel as though I am being coerced into joining the forums simply because you'd rather have me look for information there than just tell it to me in this thread... I don't understand what is so hard about explaining it to me here.

Last edited:

NoHeroes

Oct 16, 2008
See, that is my issue with that... I feel as though I am being coerced into joining the forums simply because you'd rather have me look for information there than just tell it to me in this thread... I don't understand what is so hard about explaining it to me here.

Sorry, but this is not the only venue where the contest is going to be announced, and I think it's impractical to answer the same questions in multiple forums when we have a central location for all of that where the contest is actually being held.

The TF2maps.net folks were kind enough to announce the contest, and I greatly appreciate that, but it is being held and administered at our site, by our community, and I think it's appropriate that we direct people (that are actually interested in entering) there for further discussion.

Konata

Jul 23, 2010
Sorry, but this is not the only venue where the contest is going to be announced, and I think it's impractical to answer the same questions in multiple forums when we have a central location for all of that where the contest is actually being held.

The TF2maps.net folks were kind enough to announce the contest, and I greatly appreciate that, but it is being held and administered at our site, by our community, and I think it's appropriate that we direct people (that are actually interested in entering) there for further discussion.

Alright, but keep in mind that many people considering entry may be turned off by the closed-circuit style of your information keeping.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Konata, you do realise that in order to participate in (well, submit entries for) TF2M contests one needs a forum account, right? I personally don't see anything wrong in having to register on a forum, as it doesn't really cost anyone anything but thirty seconds of their time.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
This is another one of those contests that i feel will be overlooked by the more experienced mappers and the lesser experienced mappers (that are the ones under 18 who are more likely to be interested) will have to miss out on, how many entrants do you have so far?

Whilst i feel kinda bad that this community has been so hostile about your rules that are there for a reason and that you've tried to be as friendly about it as possible despite heavy scrutiny; i can't help but feel that there are other more practical reasons that will reduce the number of interested parties.

Many of the experienced mappers you're trying to reach out to would rather create brand new content that not only fit briefs that try to improve on TF2 play how they see it, but also have a chance of going official. This holds way more interest than working on someone elses (seen as broken) map that they're also aware is the target of a lot of disdain from the wider TF2 community, as already voiced by several members here (which i wish they'd have been more friendly about). This is a big thing for people who are vain enough to desire high traffic count on their maps (all year round). They'd feel like it was wasted effort.

Last edited:

NoHeroes

Oct 16, 2008
Many of the experienced mappers you're trying to reach out to would rather create brand new content that not only fit briefs that try to improve on TF2 play how they see it, but also have a chance of going official. This holds way more interest than working on someone elses (seen as broken) map that they're also aware is the target of a lot of disdain from the wider TF2 community, as already voiced by several members here (which i wish they'd have been more friendly about). This is a big thing for people who are vain enough to desire high traffic count on their maps (all year round). They'd feel like it was wasted effort.

A valid point, and one we struggled with last year. We had been planning on doing a similar contest last year for the design of a completely new Christmas-themed map (Valve's artpass contest scuttled those plans).

That's why we decided as opposed to asking for a whole new map (and all the work that entails) we would instead ask for a reinterpretation of our Halloween and Christmas warpath maps. That way, the only concern for the mappers is aesthetics, as opposed to design, etc.

At No Heroes, I think it's safe to say that we consider many of the mappers here true artists, and their maps (dozens of which we host) are pieces of art unto themselves. Last years halloween map selected by valve was stunning, and I can name dozens of maps we host that I've spent a ton of time on jsut looking at all the detail work.

Our only hope is that the compensation for the winners (which really are some kickass video cards - I just built a new rig with the same one) is worth their time. Perhaps when they see how much our community really gets into the holidays, it will drive home how much we'll really appreciate their work.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Guys. Rules are simple. 18+ or you're not eligible. Dont try to argue this fact.
Their community, their rules.

Any more bickering about this fact will get your post deleted.
If you have any more questions about the contest, sign up on their forums, and ask there.

We require users to sign up for our contests, how are they any different?

Last edited:

NoHeroes

Oct 16, 2008
When trying to sign up to your forums i got: [#10120] We could not find the validation request you are attempting to verify.

I went ahead and approved your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.