Hide brushes through Skybox

Dayornight

L1: Registered
Jan 1, 2020
Anyone knows how I can hide the brushes behind my Skybox here? I've tried adding/removing nodraw, hints, areabrushes... but nothing has worked so far.

It's not a major issue or anything, but it's not really visually appealing. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 168

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
This is caused because Source always renders everything else (that is visible) in front of the skybox, regardless of the actual placement of the skybox brush.

The best way to fix that issue would be to construct the outside of that building, blocking people from seeing those interior walls by adding the exterior wall, which in a realistic world, would presumably exist. You might have to expand the skybox above your glass to fit this wall or make it visible.

Dayornight

L1: Registered
Jan 1, 2020
I have a "back wall" where the circle is drawn, but when I texture that, it doesn't render it for some reason and still shows the same thing as on the pictures. That's why I'm a bit confused.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I'm assuming this poor MS paint drawing is at least a somewhat accurate representation of your level's brushwork in those screenshots, and I'll use this diagram to explain what's going on here:
upload_2020-1-6_12-19-43.png
Side view. Red = normal wall, Blue = skybox, Purple arrow = camera position in your screenshots

The problem is one of the ways Source optimizes maps. You see, Source will automatically remove any brush faces (walls) that are exposed to the void, which is the big blackness surrounding your map in the Hammer 3D view.

upload_2020-1-6_12-23-26.png
Although any brush faces that are on the inside of that cube will be preserved when the map is compiled, any that are exposed to the void (including all of the faces visible in this screenshot) are removed because Source always assumes they aren't necessary. (NOTE: The brushes themselves are not removed! Only certain sides of them are removed.) After all, most players will never manage to get outside of your map. Why waste time compiling and rendering brush faces that will, in all likelihood, never be seen?

In the first diagram, you can see that the wall that would be blocking the player's view of the inside of the tower is on the outside of the map, meaning it would be removed by Source because it is exposed to the void. To make that brush face not get deleted, you need to make that brush face not be exposed to the void. I would advise restructuring your brushwork to look more like this:
upload_2020-1-6_12-32-46.png
By having the exterior wall wrapped in skybox brushes that connect the skylight to the wall, the wall will not only be preserved when the map is compiled, but Source will absolutely consider it as visible from the room with the purple arrow, and will render it overtop of the inside of the tower to any user standing in that room.