Help with nav mesh and doors.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Potada, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Potada

Potada L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, I'm currently working on a ctf map. The way it's set up, there are some faster side routes you can use to get to the intel, but once you grab said intel, most of that side locks down via the doors.

The problem is, I can't seem to get the bots to realize they're hitting a "locked" door once they close. I tried putting some "nav_transient" meshes in the doorway floors. but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

2. The Letter Before A

The Letter Before A Cool Idiot

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly bots are stupid as hell
    I would recommend uploading the map to an imp
    When you hit rc, feel free to mess with the nav mesh.
    I know there is a way to edit nav meshes but im not sure how you do it

3. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    There is a certain entity that allows you to block/unblock nav areas - I don't remember what it's called, i'm afraid - nav_block? - But I would poke around on the VDC for that. I do remember that it has to cover the whole nav region, so be prepared to manually chop the mesh up a bit.

4. FortyTwo

FortyTwo L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    tf_point_nav_interface is what it called to refresh the nav. So when the door is open or closed, or when the intel is picked up, send a output to the tf_point_nav_interface with a target input RecomputeBlockers. It refresh the whole nav in the map, seeing whenever if it blocked or not

EDIT: also, you can take a look at this link (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Navigation_Meshes) to find out how to edit the meshes.

You might want to make one of the mesh to only specificly in each of the doors. Here some command that you might want to use it when editing the meshes:
    nav_edit (0 or 1): lets you able to edit the nav meshes
    nav_split: splits the mesh that your currently looking at now
    nav_save: temporary saves the edited nav.
    nav_analyse: use it for the very last part, it takes about a minute

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016