Help. TF2 isn't working while using Source SDK.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by GoBologna, Mar 16, 2010.

1. GoBologna

GoBologna L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a big problem that's preventing me from testing my maps. Here's the situation: I have a map ready to test in Hammer. I click "Run Map..." It seems to compile just fine. The problem comes when Steam tries to run Team Fortress 2. I get the following message: "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." It happens every time. I even tried closing Hammer and just plain running TF2. I got the same message since I still had Source SDK open. So I tried opening Hammer and closing the SDK window. Same result. Finally I closed both and ran TF2 normally. Worked just fine. Does anyone have any idea of a possible cause of this problem? Or perhaps even how to fix it?

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    delete your clientregistry.blob from your steam folder. it should help.

3. GoBologna

Positive Ratings:
    Still isn't working. Thanks anyway.

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    for me, that usually fixes it. it could be an issue with the steam servers themselves.

5. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Try ctrl+alt+delete and make sure vvis.exe or vrad.exe aren't still running.

6. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    You can get around this by opening TF2 before you open Hammer, then run TF2 in a window instead of full screen. Hammer opens fine if TF2 is already running, but not the other way around for some reason.

Very annoying, it happens when mapping for other games, too.

Kep

7. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well once it's compiled the bsp should be in the maps folder anyway, so have you tried restarting steam? I know this may seem silly but sometimes restarting processes works.

8. GoBologna

Positive Ratings:
    Next problem: "Run Map..." still doesn't work correctly since you can't have two windows of TF2 running at the same time.

9. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Just close the first tf2?

10. GoBologna

Positive Ratings:
    Then I'm stuck with the same problem I had before. XD

By the way, when I try to test my map in the TF2 window the spawns aren't working correctly. I've only tried one map so far, though. I'll go try another.

EDIT: Well, my the spawns are working, but whenever I load one of the maps I'm building it says "Node Graph Out of Date. Rebuilding...". Also, vertical movement seems to be a bit screwy. Of course, it may be just lag, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I -never- use the 'Run Map' checkbox in the compile window. I just leave TF2 open in the background and load the map manually from there after it compiles.

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Just out of curiosity, have you closed out of all steam applications (including hammer and SourceSDK) and restarted steam? Usually that fixes these problems for me.

13. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Uncheck the option that doesn't start up the game when the compile is completed? That's what I do.

14. GoBologna

Positive Ratings:
    Well, my only problems now seem to be:

1.) Vertical movement being messed up
    2.) "Node Graph Out of Date. Rebuilding..."