Hella

CP Hella b1

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I would appreciate if people posted feedback after today's test.

What I'm getting so far:
  • Make blu spawn better
  • Make B actually a good point
  • ????
If anyone has ideas for those or anything else, I'd love to hear them. Paintovers are nice if you are feeling extremely helpful.

I think that B needs some kind of height advantage for RED, and C does as well for that matter.

Who was saying that the barrels at A were bad, and why were you saying that?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The doors that open after Point A is capped need to open up a little quicker imo. Disrupts flow if they are too slow...

And for blue spawn, I'd try and stick with the 1 major 2 minor or 2 major 1 minor rule for spawns, that might be helpful, currently i could stay in the corner inbetween the doors and pocket heal without cause for concern.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
cp_hella_a30000.jpg

you could open up the wall like this, so that if someone spams the point from there, he cant hide behind wall or unbroken window. this would make the 2nd floor counterspammable and snipable
cp_hella_a30001.jpg

here you could try putting an extra exit, although it it stays open, it'd probably make the spawn more spammable. widen the path like shown so there's more space to dodge incoming spam
you could just make spawndoors close instead of staying open.
cp_hella_a30002.jpg

widen this area too. make it so that when theres spam, players have enough space to avoid it, instead of being forced to either stand back or run straight at the spammer
cp_hella_a30003.jpg

if you dont want to use doors, dont use them. opening this house up would also allow for a sentryspot there without using barrels that received some objections in impromptu
cp_hella_a30004-1.jpg

you said setting props to have no collision sounds like work. actually all you have to do is use entity report as shown and then set collision to nonsolid for all props at once
cp_hella_a30005.jpg

this health and ammo seems to be too far from blu spawn to help attackers and too far from cap point to help defenders at cap point. i believe it only helps the spammers and you should remove it.
cp_hella_a30006.jpg

put a stronger supports there sometime :p
cp_hella_a30007.jpg

sort out your skybrushes here. that tower and some surfaces near it keep popping in and out of view. you might want to move that tower into 3dsky like in gravelpit
cp_hella_a30008.jpg

you could try putting a building here that faces the point and put full ammo in there to help engies setup some defense quickly. then if it works ok, expand it somehow - make a ramp up there, 2 stories, badlands spire, quaddamage mid, something, anything

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
just as an fyi going to scrap
  • last point
  • last building
  • the area around b
  • the houses behind a
  • the blu spawn area
expect a new version in a long time

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
This is what I am keeping from a3, just to give you an idea of what to expect for a4.

MShFA.png

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I like it... I also spy the TM thunder ents :p

EDIT: One thing that I noticed is that it was constantly an uphill battle from point to point; so you may want to take that into consideration when redo'ing it :p

Yep, that's part of the redesign. I don't think that it's inherently bad, but the way I was doing it was bad and the way most people do that right out of the gates is bad.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
We just played it on our PlayStuff.net's Weekly draft #02 and we had an epic game on it!
Main point was that the second point (B) seems out of place. Maybe just take it out and shorten the space on that point a bit to make it smaller?

Keep up the good work!

This might be the first time someone has called this map good or fun or exciting. I guess I should begin work on it again.

The map basically has two possible futures. I could keep the current layout primarily intact and drop B and then fix the A to C transition to be better, or redesign the entire map, keeping all three points, and probably fixing more of the long term issues that map could have. I'm not really sure what to do and truthfully I don't often have the time to even think about it!

I dunno, I'll start testing it again and see what people think I guess.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
cp_hella_a4

a4:
fixed a texture bug

cp_hella_a40008.jpg

There is a known issue where the particles don't show up properly if you aren't me or Psy.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
cp_hella_a4a

a4a:
modified some pickups
fixed a skin not changing on cap
modified some timers doing some weird things
fixed some areaportal nonsense
fixed the particles not being correctly packed
added a little ramp in a certain place somewhere