Heaven

can this setting ( in terms of style and gameplay) exist in TF2?

• yes it can

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • only as a sniper heaven (bad gameplay)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • doestn fit (bad setting idea)

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • not at all

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
moar screenies of upcomming version

a3_poster_2.jpg

a3_poster_1.jpg

Last edited:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
gameday-overtime bump. tell me..

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I played both BLU and RED once. As BLU I couldn't get to B and C because I get killed all the time by rockets/grenades and sentryguns + you couldn't even try to sap the sentryguns with a spy because you couldn't even get there.
As RED it was very easy to hold up BLU before B and C as a soldier/demoman/pyro if you just camped at the entrance before B/C.

This is the part where you can't get through as BLU:

cp_heaven_a2a0001.jpg

cp_heaven_issue.JPG

The green spots are the places where the sentryguns are, next to the sentryguns there are always all the other classes shooting at the red colored place. As BLU you just can't get through this area because you get killed all the time by projectiles and stuff. An uber didn't get us through this area because you could only kill a sentry or so, but not the 12 other red players..
Red also has a bunch of little height advantage spots so it's pretty easy for them to kill the BLU's who are beneath them.

You could maybe fix this by adding another, higher entrance for BLU so they can fight RED at a fair height.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The spamfest in todays gameday is a problem, even if it's the first time it happends, it is still a pretty serious issue!

My first suggestion to cut out A completely was rejected by you in the chat so:
SS-2009.12.05-20.12.07.jpg

Give the attackers flanking opportunities, these green paths I added should be longer and easier to defend than the main middel route (where the red circle of death is). But they should be there, just to spead out the red defence a bit. It's important that blue can put preassure from several directions in maps like these, and with only that single route it quickly got stale when red figured it out.

--

Also, add some invisible walls that prevent snipers from shooting into blue spawn (and out). I usually use nodrawed func_brushes set to "don't render" :p

Hope this helps!

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
i actually got occluder there, and it failed. ive noticed that issue but no way i could update submission. "new rules" you know.

about side routes..well..i guess i just remain central one and add 2 new routes,to B and C so red cant concentrate their plyers anywhere between A and B\C.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
scraping floating theme as well as snowy one (will be brighter)

heaven_a3_7.jpg

Last edited:

keithgarry

L2: Junior Member
Apr 16, 2009
My first post, woo! Personally I think this theme could work if you created some models specifically for it.

Pearly Gates, Moving Cloud Platforms, etc. I think you had the right idea with heaven floating. The difficulty is coming up with a general idea of what "heaven" is and then combining that with actual fun gameplay/level design. I think arena or koth would work well for this type as they are relatively small compared to the other game types.

The last picture looks just like another TF2 level taking place in the same environment as so many other maps. It's too bad you scrapped the floating theme because I think that's where your map really set it self apart from all the other ones. However, I know it's difficult to get/make decent looking custom textures and props and the whole mapping process isn't exactly easy either.

With what you have though, I see a lot of potential. Keep it up. :)

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
My first post, woo! Personally I think this theme could work if you created some models specifically for it.

Pearly Gates, Moving Cloud Platforms, etc. I think you had the right idea with heaven floating. The difficulty is coming up with a general idea of what "heaven" is and then combining that with actual fun gameplay/level design. I think arena or koth would work well for this type as they are relatively small compared to the other game types.

The last picture looks just like another TF2 level taking place in the same environment as so many other maps. It's too bad you scrapped the floating theme because I think that's where your map really set it self apart from all the other ones. However, I know it's difficult to get/make decent looking custom textures and props and the whole mapping process isn't exactly easy either.

With what you have though, I see a lot of potential. Keep it up. :)

thx for feed) well..i liked the floating idea,but there were some real problems there...
a)its just wierd theme for tf2
b)no actual props i can use to support this theme
c) trillions of "death pits"disturb players

sooo i just moved to another,more tf2-ish theme. mov im actually adding displacements and modifying skybox,as there no need for loong sightlines anymore. the layout seemed pretty good,though there was a bottleneck that im also fixing

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008

new fresh screenie for you)

final version of current location as for _a3

heaven_a3_10.jpg

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
_a3 is almost here, compiling _a3(test) atm.

so after a closed test with some tf2mappers and fixing all the issues they will find a3 will be finally out with all-new setting and lots of changes.

heaven_a1_a3_compare_1.jpg

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
_a3test gametest bump

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I played the map some hours ago and I like the new theme. :)

The biggest problem was that the layout was not really clear. There were signs, but they weren't obvious or they were still kinda confusing. I showed you these places, hope you still remember them. :p

Controlpoint D also needed some more epicness, as they said about Panamint. D is now just a box with a capture point in it, and lacks good spots where RED could defend.
+ As I showed you, point D is not really obvious for RED, and the RED players could simply miss the point and walk to point B/C by accident.

Also, when BLU has A capped and are attacking B and C, RED spawns right next to B and C and so they have a very short route to these points to defend them easily. Maybe disable this spawn already for RED once BLU has taken over point A.

But, cool map. :)

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Ok, some things from this afternoon

- Definitely needs more signage, especially as never playing before on the attacking side, coming out of spawn there were signs pointing to both C and B, but no clear indication of how to get to D. This poor heavy and I wandered around for ages until we finally found a door that led to the point the rest of our team was busy sieging.

- Brighten things up! Especially around C and D, things were very dark, I kept running forward to heal a pyro or soldier, only to have them turn around and gib me.

- I'm not a fan of having red be able to drop down on both sides of D, they're able to eliminate even the best of pushes in one spawn wave by just spamming the weakened attackers from both sides.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
thx for feedbacks,guys :D

well..what will be there in _a3 version

-tuned perfomance (thought you may not have noticed,its not that high near A)
-more exits from redspawn1 to B and C (preventing spawncamp)
-more places detailed\re-detailed (im continuing transformation to new setting)
-more signs,and better placement. More obvious routes
-some fixes to all small issues found there
-point D,not sure how much ill change right in a3

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I have no idea if you included this in your "small things to fix" point, but don't forget to fix the fade distances of the pipes in Blu spawn. You also wanted to consider adding a window near the med health outside A, and some pickups were a) floating and b) had no patch overlay.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
I have no idea if you included this in your "small things to fix" point, but don't forget to fix the fade distances of the pipes in Blu spawn. You also wanted to consider adding a window near the med health outside A, and some pickups were a) floating and b) had no patch overlay.

done right after gametest
also,made this hole in the center of the point smaller and added overlays that show the actual cap zone. also increased ap zone abit

heaven_a3mark.jpg

Last edited:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
after some playtests i finally wrote down things that are to be done in a4

first of all,new point D
second,point A needs to be more open
third, i should make doors linked to areaportals (there is only 1,experemental door of this type in a3)

and ofc fixes,polishing and optimisation as well as furthere detailing

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
Just tested this earlier:

I can't say for sure, but I found that there were some serious issues with getting past defense. Whilst we were without a Medic and up against 2 persistent Engineers, it shouldn't be that easy for 2 Engineers to almost single-handedly hold off an entire team.

There were also some navigation issues as I said in-game. I was able to find my way to the points relatively easily on Blue team, but on Red I was unable to prevent Blue from capturing the final point as I was lost at B/C (which I also had problems getting to at the time they were being captured.)

I also suggest making the paths from Blue's spawn to the rest of the map a little bit safer, perhaps add some rails or something because so far it's relatively easy to get knocked off by Pyros and projectiles.

Visually, the map is quite stunning, no real issues with the overall look of the map.

I'll have a demo up for this a little later, keep up the fantastic work!

Status
Not open for further replies.