Half Life 2 - Capture the Flag

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't quite get what you're saying in the first paragraph. I'm probably just being arguementitive now, but...

I've been playing TF since before Valve even officially added it to the HL collection. It was a stand alone quake-esque CTF game mode with near limitless functionality and no relation to the HL universe. It had custom skins, custom materials and custom game mechanics. What exactly are you referencing when you say that Robin would have never made TF with such a mind set as mine when is all i say is that non-HL gameplay within the HL universe causes discordence. TF has no relavence to this even if you could speak rhetorically in Robin's place. But regardless of this "being my personal problem" this is hardly a unique opinion expressed within this thread; others have expressed this concern also.

Additionally, I know what a mod is, i've worked on mods before. You've recieved a bunch of criticism from some skilled, experienced and respected individuals in the relavent field to which you approached; If you choose to ignore that because you had other agenda's with this thread then fine, that's your perogative, and your loss. The thread has caused creative discussion between mappers and modders, you should be honoured. Your mod team members seem to have found value in this discussion, why are you belittling and undermining fruitful discussion on the basis that individuals are "missing the point", "don't know what they're talking about" (when they clearly do) or that it's ultimately irrelevant. You can't stop this kind of discussion in a sister modding community; it's only natural, so what's the problem here? You posted your publication and you got a healthy response, what more could you ask for? You're telling people you don't care, they are wrong (with no explination) and that ultimately such discussion makes no difference so we should just shutup and say no more than "good job".

On a final note: You don't need to play a map when the screen shots and video demonstrations of many of the maps show a distinct lack of attention to detail. Whether you choose to accept that or not is up to you. Observation is a simple and humble skill; as already demonstrated the Source Engine is still a powerful engine capable of impressive aesthetics feats, even if it is old the thresholds can be pushed much further than what is demonstrated in your... demonstration. If you feel like what you have provided us with is lacking in content for us to reasonably provide useful feedback then you have merely failed to provide us with sufficient information and data.

No one at no point has tried to discredit this mod. We can all appreciate things that are "just a bit off fun" but people here aren't shy to point out what would make things even more enjoyable for them. Why is this such a hurdle for you? If you disagree then tell people why, don't just tell them they are wrong because they are stupid, don't understand or that their opinion has no value.

If you take a closer look at the comments you'll see that no one has commented on the gameplay besides the rocket jumping. Why? Because they havn't played it. They understand the limits of their feedback. They have stuck to what they know and understand. They have seen a lack of aesthetics and commented on said lack of aesthetics. Just because they havn't played the mod, despite seeing relavent media, doesn't make those opinions moot.

Anyway, nothing here was said with the intent of being hostile and only people trying to help. I'm disappointed it has been recieved so negatively.

Last edited:

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
It was a stand alone quake-esque CTF game mode with near limitless functionality and no relation to the HL universe. It had custom skins, custom materials and custom game mechanics.
This is exactly what we have. They were a Quake mod, we are a HL2 mod. A mod is a mod of a current game, aka HL2. We could of just changed the rebel model and released it as a mod and it would be "a mod". We have done much more then that and have catered to the HL2CTF community that has been around for 6 years.

Additionally, I know what a mod is, i've worked on mods before
Anything other then mapping? And what mods if I may ask?

You've recieved a bunch of criticism from some skilled, experienced and respected individuals in the relavent field; If you choose to ignore that because you had other agenda's with this thread then fine, that's your perogative, and your loss.
That's fine that you see it that way, but I personally dont. We recieved critism from 3 guys, one was completely trolling, one was reviewing the maps, and the other one (you) seem very uninformed about what our mod is about.

The troll lol, his comments are laughable. How can someone tell the people that created the mod that their artistic vision is wrong lol. Pretty sure it is up to the creators to decide on the mod's creative path, and whatever that path is, is exactly how they wanted it. Case in point, HL2CTF is exactly how we wanted it to turn out artistically. Everything he said was worthless to the discussion.

The other guy makes fine points and I really have nothing against what he said and take everything he said into account. He was strictly going off what he saw in the video and wasn't straying off it and I agree with him for the most part.

With you, I just feel like you are making assumptions to how the game should be instead of how its going to be. I dont think you realize that the mod is 6 years old. Its had a player base for a long time that is accustom to certain things and have certain expectations that we must uphold to. Moving away from that would be bad for us as we are releasing the mod for those guys and anyone else who is interested in playing a fast paced Quake like fps is welcome to play it. Out of the 19 maps that will be in the release, 8 of them have been built by Menthol and myself. The rest were from older devs (most working for gaming companies or over at the Black Mesa mod project) and or customs that the community really likes. We have updated all of them in one way or another, but kept most of their original look on purpose. We also have updated over 30 older maps that were broken from this update because those mappers who originally built these older maps are long gone. When you figure in the amount of time it has taken the 2 of us to accomplish this, it's rather mind numbing. Lets also not forget the 1100 other updates done within this last year...

Also consider the fact that HL2 is older then dirt and the longer we wait to release, the older it gets and something newer comes out. So time is important. We dont have the luxury of a gaming company to have 1 or 2 people working on each map, so we have to make choices. Dont think for a second we dont take all this info in, as we do. I just cant stand having someone try to give advice on something they know so little about thats all and in this particular thread, I feel that person has been you. It's nothing really against you, I just dont feel like you understand what the direction of the mod is that's all. I do appreciate the comments though. This thread has a ton of views and the more views we get, the more our mod gets noticed. So I thank you :)

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
This is exactly what we have. They were a Quake mod, we are a HL2 mod. A mod is a mod of a current game, aka HL2. We could of just changed the rebel model and released it as a mod and it would be "a mod". We have done much more then that and have catered to the HL2CTF community that has been around for 6 years.

The point is, they reskinned almost everything, so it was no longer in the HL universe. You didn't- it's still definitely half-life.

Anything other then mapping? And what mods if I may ask?

1) Even if he had only worked on mapping, i can attest that he's got one of the firmest grasps of game design i know on the forum. Read through a few of his tutorials and you'll see, he knows his stuff.

2) Don't question the turtle, fool.

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
The point is, they reskinned almost everything, so it was no longer in the HL universe. You didn't- it's still definitely half-life.
Um, not sure if you know this as you may be young, but TF was a Quake mod and it was not reskinned. Infact, they used most of the original game's assets just like we are since we dont have an entire team of modelers and texture artists at our disposal. If you are referring to TFC, well, its not really a mod. Its a standalone game in which Robin and crew were allowed to use the entire sdk at their disposal since Valve hired them. Plus, they got payed for their work. The original Quake TF mod was free....

1) Even if he had only worked on mapping, i can attest that he's got one of the firmest grasps of game design i know on the forum. Read through a few of his tutorials and you'll see, he knows his stuff.

2) Don't question the turtle, fool.
I once wrote a tutorial on how to mine gold on the Moon. My theories are sound and Im sure my ideas would work. The problem is, Ive never actually done anything to prove they do. Maybe Ill get to the Moon one of these days to test my theories, but until then, my tutorial could probably be viewed by many as BS since Ive never actually accomplished anything.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I think you'd find it hard to find a good map on this site NOT influenced by the tutorials, not to mention several excellent maps of his own. But yeah, for someone whose key argument is "You havent played this", you seem awfully keen to dismiss things unread.

My apologies for the quake misunderstanding.