Guild Wars 2

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Is this like Star Wars TOR free, where it's kiiiinda free but all the good stuff isn't??

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Stuff that F2Pers don't get
Less bag and character slots
Map wide chat
They can only whisper every 30 seconds
They can't join WvW(the server v server v server pvp) until they're level 60
They can access the Trading Post but can't mail items to other players.
Anything in the Heart of Thorns expansion

To upgrade they need to buy the expansion, which will give them three character slots, more bag slots on every character, access to the Heart of Thorns content such as new maps, guild halls, raids, elite specializations and a new class.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
RIP GW2. Can't wait for that other dead mmo to go f2p, wildstar. Goddamn I loved that mmo. So much atmosphere and the combat system was just unique enough to keep me playing.
Too bad Tera doesn't have Australian servers though.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Is this like Star Wars TOR free, where it's kiiiinda free but all the good stuff isn't??
It's better.

The only content that is 'locked' is some chat features, and World vs. World vs. World, but thats only locked until 60. You basically can do everything else with no restrictions.

RIP GW2. Can't wait for that other dead mmo to go f2p, wildstar. Goddamn I loved that mmo. So much atmosphere and the combat system was just unique enough to keep me playing.
Too bad Tera doesn't have Australian servers though.

And GW2 is preeeeeetty far from dead. They just sold 5Mil copies.

Unless you play at all the off-hours, it's very, very active.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Maybe it's just dead here, I keep having to play with Chinese speakers on terrible ping.

Also does this mean litterally 0 for people who already had an account like I, or do we get goodies.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
But then we'd have to level it up and I'll be inferior to all the other flag planters during world bosses :(

Not that it's a problem, if we can get a good group together I'd be very much up to play and start a new guild. I don't have thorns so I can't do that stuff. Though I haven't even experienced about 80% of the base games dungeons yet so I should probably do that.

Only thing that keeps me from playing is not having guildies. I have 3 capped characters so I got burnt on alts.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
I'd be up for that if there wasn't still the daft EU vs US divide. GOddamnit let me go do things on Gates of Madness without leaving my friends in EU behind.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Oh it's all regional? So I wouldn't be able to play with frozen?
Yeeeeaaahh fuck that noise

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Oh you can, you just have to actively choose between EU or US. Like, pick a US server, not a EU server.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
oh. Well that makes sense.
Can you flip between them though or do I have to have a US character and an EU character? or is it US account or EU account?

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure once you select a server you're stuck with the server, sad to say.

To clarify I mean region, if you choose a US server you have to play on US servers within your group.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure once you select a server you're stuck with the server, sad to say.

You can pay to transfer.

The way it works is that when you get the game, you choose to be on the NA or the EU network of servers. You can play with anyone on your same network, regardless of servers. So if say, Jethro was on Tarnished Coast and I was on Sea of Sorrows (both NA servers), we could play together. If Jethro was on say, Vabbi, and I was on Sea of Sorrows (EU and NA respectively) we could not play together.

You can always transfer between servers or Regions, but it costs money, depending on the population of the servers. It's not horrible.

Also: To note, Servers (within each region) now only matter if you want to play World vs. World vs. World. There is something called MegaServers on each regions network. So while you might be on Sea of Sorrows, you could be in a zone with people from Blackgate, or Tarnished Coast. You WILL be doing open world content with people from other servers on your region.