Grinder

Grinder a10

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
cp_grinder_a80001.jpg

cp_grinder_a80002.jpg

cp_grinder_a80003.jpg

And tell me this isn't good readability!
cp_grinder_a80004.jpg

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
yeah those lettered CP's look nice, i might look into using them on my map i'm working on...once i'm happy with the layout to even release the alpha, which seems to be taking me forever.

Lookin good :thumbup:

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
Whoa, very nice. Are you going to make holograms for the HQ cap, too?

I'm really interested to see how you will detail the towers at A and B in beta. If I recall it correctly, you originally wanted to theme the map like 2Fort, right?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
yeah, I change my mind a lot :)

Those towers probably won't survive the detailing process. I just like big tall things that can't possibly exist.

Phobos

Feb 22, 2009
yeah, I change my mind a lot :)

Those towers probably won't survive the detailing process. I just like big tall things that can't possibly exist.
Ahhhh.... I see. I tried to imagine what they could look like in the end, the best thing I came up with was gigantic chimneys.

Did you see the mixed (half red/half blue) B sign in the sneak peak of Nucleus? As if Valve made it just for Grinder. Hopefully they didn't forget to include a mixed A sign.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Did you see the mixed (half red/half blue) B sign in the sneak peak of Nucleus? As if Valve made it just for Grinder. Hopefully they didn't forget to include a mixed A sign.

What seems strange to me is that it says B while it's an arena map.

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
I ran through the alpha 7 and I think the looks of the HQs are stunningly nice looking

though as I tend to think of maps in a competive point of view I noticed the lack of higher ground as a defender, my proposal is to bring the upper level above the entrances into play and maybe even put an/two entrances up there.
I also think A & B are too close to the HQs, it's just a feeling but that will probably be noticed in playtests if it needs any fixing. I think this gametype could be really interesting in 6v6 as it requires the team to split up in order to not lose a point behind their back as they move on to the last point.

Tinker said:
What seems strange to me is that it says B while it's an arena map.
I noticed that too but I don't think this is the thread to discuss it in :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Actually, we playtested an earlier version competitively before, and found that the HQ was too easy to defend, and that A and B was too far :p

But that is a neat idea you have there, and I'll definitely use something like it if the HQ still needs a little boost.

Phobos

Feb 22, 2009
I also think A & B are too close to the HQs, it's just a feeling but that will probably be noticed in playtests if it needs any fixing.
I like it how it is now. This gives the heavy a chance to shine without being dependent on teleporters.

Just thinking: A sentry on your suggested ledge (in front of the banner) would be brutal. Overlooking all entrances.

[Offtopic]I think the B sign in Nucleus is there to create the illusion that the chamber of the doomsday device is part of larger facility.[/Ofttopic]

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Updated to Alpha 8!
Download from TF2Maps

cp_grinder_a80009.jpg

-Removed the 2nd floor on B
-Increased capture time on HQs
-Detail pass over existing areas
-Added detailing to spawn rooms
-Added new CP holograms
-Added Cubemaps

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
[Offtopic]I think the B sign in Nucleus is there to create the illusion that the chamber of the doomsday device is part of larger facility.[/Ofttopic]

Maybe they're hinting that it is a part of something bigger in the future.... (cp_nucleus) :D

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Are you still continuing alpha testing of this map, or are you moving into beta phase?

EDIT: First post as an Alleged Expert

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Alpha until I finish detailing.

Besides, I still have some gameplay factors I need to smooth out.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Sexy, you want a comp playtest or a pub server playtest?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
comp :)

I can easily get a pub playtest anytime, but a comp would be difficult by myself.

Phobos

Feb 22, 2009
You pak-rat'd the holograms correctly. The red ones looks good, sharp and clean.

The blue ones... well, see for yourself:
blurrogram.jpg

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I noticed that too. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the materials, but the model.

The other skins using Artesia's template are the same.

Feb 14, 2008
If you kind of try and do it in reverse maybe... then it might work. Like text that is by default at half opacity and full opacity in the middle ... or something.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
how do pump out sweet maps so fast?
are you even human?

something is afoot. :glare: