Goldthorpe

PL Goldthorpe b5

Curtain_Pole

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updates to b3

This update focuses on detailing nearly all the map (apart from the team spawn rooms) There are some new screenshots to show the changed detailing and lighting.

fun fact: the a1 version of the map is 1,393KB and the latest (b3) version is 10,405KB

Curtain_Pole

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2012
Map has been updated to b4

The map is now fully textures (Bye bye dev textures) and is fast approching RC. Read the map description for more info about the b4 update

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey!

So, after the last test, the demos broke and feedback system wasn't working, so I'm going to jot down my notes here for you to reference. I really like the idea that you have going with a gorge style payload map, kudos on that.

• Blue spawn is kind of neat (keep 'em for now!), but the yard in front of it is very straight forward, makes it hard to push out of. A single perch at the back of the yard can see all the exits, so getting out of spawn was a little rough.
  • Your choke by the cliff should be a bit wider, this will make it much easier for blu to attack. To balance this though, look into how to make it easier for red to defend.
  • The Layout was simple to understand and the vertical height made things fun. I would suggest just looking at the first half of the layout, and maybe redo it a little bit.
  • Prop spam! Wilson was saying that you had it up on your cliffs and in some other areas of your map. This isn't Unreal (sadly) so you don't need so many props to make your dispalcements look good. Infact, they could look a lot better if you didn't have them.
  • Your skybox is a good start, but the rocks you have a really standing out a whole lot, which makes things look weird. I personally think that the fog could be toned up a bit to give it a bit more of an atmospheric look.
  • Your detailing should be down where people will see it. 9/10 times, people aren't going to look up to admire the scenery, so move your detailing around to the places where people will be looking the most, then lessen it in the other areas from there.
  • Love the finale.

I might be missing some stuff. If you guys played this map with me and the others this evening and have more feedback to add, do so!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Here are some impressions I got from our test. Aside from the map being over-detailed in general, which you'll have to figure out on your own because excess rarely means anything in particular is overkill.

EF9C63CF7E4F44695880697842D4B5580895101B

Visible nodraws around these windows.

8F1AF36A2671A6BF5FC5EFAE09D604138ABACE2A

I realize it's not meant to ever be seen from this angle, but even from further down I could tell that you've got boards that are thicker than they are wide. I have no idea how you would fix this, but it looks hella weird.

C654FB55F75065DEF864057EDFD6B6ACA47DE04A

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the alignment of these brick textures; you've got the floor-level dirt just hanging in mid-air on the left side and then right in the middle of the wall on the right, when it should only ever be at floor level. Also, this area in general has serious arrow spam; I think RED can tell when they come out of spawn that doorways lead outward.

02467C967B81C672432ED264EA966AB596ABA0E4

Four problems evident here: The roofs, like many on this map, are too thick and have the wrong texture orientation on the edges. The railing props are spytech and designed for indoors, and look out of place here (and this particular set isn't even aligned properly). And finally there's something up with the lighting on that billboard; I think you're supposed to put a light in front of it or something to accurately simulate the light levels it's meant to have. Or maybe it's just not usually in shadow like that; I dunno.

C9278368DD3EE8FB65B94D232487C1C97F9FCE14

This room could stand to be a little longer. See that bit of completely blank wall there? I spawned so close to it that it took up almost my entire field of vision.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
ONE COMPLAINT: players can get stuck on the rocket, and they can see the whole map & the empty skybox.
EDIT: Remove the windows looking into red spawn! Never, EVER let players look into spawn.

Last edited: