Gliding players off the roof

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Taxouck, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Taxouck

Taxouck L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello!
    As it currently stands, blast jumping classes, aka demos and soldiers, have access to the roof of the main red and blu buildings in my map; flat, uninteresting, prop-less roofs that can only be accessed due to them being low. While I could make them higher and/or make them interesting gameplay-wise, it would look weird architecture-wise, and tall buildings aren't what I want to do in this map anyway. So... What about triangular roofs that would make players glide off rather than stay somewhere useless? Is it possible? What's the minimum angle for them to work? Is there a special invisible block/entity that could ensure it working correctly?
    Basically, gliding in hammer 101 plz?

2. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    Just player clip them

People'll jump up to get on them, hit a player clip, then won't try it again

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    I believe that players can walk on surfaces with a maximum incline of 45°. Therefore to make a surface no one can walk on you'd need to make it at least 46°.

But as @Moonrat said, just block it off with a normal world brush with the tools/playerclip at texture on it.

4. Taxouck

Taxouck L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Problem is I don't want to prevent players from being able to leap over them too much. It's walking around on it that's problematic... Plus, I don't really have any visual cue as to why they can't get up there, though that's only a "minor" problem and can be fixed.
    Nonetheless, thanks for the help, I suppose this still is how I'll find a solution to this problem. Thanks (again).

5. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    Overwatch does this and it's pretty fun. I would use a trigger_apply_impulse and push the player towards the edge of the roof.

6. PyroDevil

PyroDevil L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldn't it be better to use trigger_push? From what I understand, trigger_apply_pulse needs a input to activate.

7. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    I know you had other points, but even many official maps don't have much of an indicator for everything that is higher than a bit over player height. A very prominent example would be the "clocktower" on sawmill.

8. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Valve sometimes puts tires on roofs to indicate its a no go zone.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think there's a trigger entity that says "if they're already going to go through this, let them; if they try to stop, don't let them". It would be nice, but on the other hand... you really don't want explosive jumpers to be able to clear the entire map so easily either. The Sticky Jumper is borderline overpowered for maneuverability as it is.

10. Hipster_Duck

Hipster_Duck L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    If it works visually, you could put something on the roof to prevent them from staying on it, like the acid on the roofs on trainsawlaser for example.

11. LadyRaee

LadyRaee CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL

Positive Ratings:
    Sawmill, low roofs above main point entrances, they have tires on them, although they are accessible (ctf_ version even has ramps leading up there).

12. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    You could also texture the roof with a slippery texture that players will slide on, like dev_slime.

13. Di Gorgonzola

Di Gorgonzola L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was about to mention that I remember seeing ABS using some kind of custom no-friction tooltexture in a map a long time ago, to prevent players from standing on the satellite dish prop. I have wanted to ask him about how he managed to do that ever since but never got around to do it.

14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I would suggest opening up the dev_slime vtf and seeing if there's any unusual texture properties, then making a new texture with those properties.