Giza

MVM Giza b6

iWantcoal

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2013
It doesnt have to be a sharp drawing of that nozzle anyway. If you compare those boss icons in detail then they are also far too detailed for the screen. So it might not actualy be bad to have such detail on it.
Still, the icon idea of you is good. Except, those wings get cut of on the edges. Thats something that shouldnt be the case. If needed just reduce the flame size a little to allow the wings to not get cut off.

The new phlog icon is an improvement to me. Although still not clear it at least has something that isnt confusing and actualy can be guessed (unlike deflector heavies with their airblast icon). This one is what i call worthy as icon.

For the rocket rain icon i already have an idea for an improvement to make the icon more simple using the same idea as you had for it.

EDIT:

Here are the 2 tries of trying to simplify the rocketrain icon by being symetrical:
This is the one i prefer:
leaderboard_class_rainsoldier.png

And this was the one i created on attempt 1 which had too large rockets in it:
leaderboard_class_rainsoldier2.png

That was actually my original idea for the icon, but the overly symmetry didn't look as harmonic. If you take a look at the barrage icon, rockets are randomly sized and placed next to the original rocket, giving it a feeling of inaccuracy which is the "projectile spread angle penalty" part of the robot. Same applies here.

iWantcoal

Sep 7, 2013
Also regarding the contest, I see that it's ending... tomorrow! Let's see if any of the second stagers decorated your map to... idk

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
That was actually my original idea for the icon, but the overly symmetry didn't look as harmonic. If you take a look at the barrage icon, rockets are randomly sized and placed next to the original rocket, giving it a feeling of inaccuracy which is the "projectile spread angle penalty" part of the robot. Same applies here.
In this case the rocket are actualy rotated which does the same thing. And the random sizes of rockets, the valve rocketshotgun with heal on hit also has spread yet its rocket are perfectly aligned.
I think its simple better to go for the better looking icon rather than being the most accurate one.

About your medic icon, i find the blue color a bit odd on the shield. It might be well visible but the color combination doesnt realy match to me. I think having it yellow would be better. And the color for the K might be red, black, dark yellow or anything that is visible. Depending on readability ingame we can use the kritz k.

And about the contest, its the just the voting of stage 1 that would have ended but:
Due to lack of votes, Swordfish and I have decided to push the voting period through til May 11th. We will be hosting more playtests of these maps so that you can all play them and vote for them!

iWantcoal

Sep 7, 2013
I followed the cateens for colors of the icon, like red is Uber, blue is crits, yellow would be ammo but I'm thinking making it quick fix.

But when I tested with yellow as you requested, it didn't look any better. Then I starting thinking color harmony... the uber medic icon is clearly monochrome, so I decided to keep that intact and came up with [This]

(I personally think I'm going on the right track) Also, be sure to outline the smaller rockets to the same thickness as the main one

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
The whole blue icon is alot better.

Also, for the quick fix there already is an icon and that is the red one without a shield.

iWantcoal

Sep 7, 2013
The whole blue icon is alot better.

Also, for the quick fix there already is an icon and that is the red one without a shield.

That's the point, I feel the quick fix medics (that can pull megaheal) needs their own unique icon, since they would seem like normal medics without any abilities.

EDIT: for your medics only have 40 health so they pop uber, you might not have to, be cause there is a new attribute called "bot medic uber health threshold" which changed the minimum health before popping uber. I've never tested it however :/

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
EDIT: for your medics only have 40 health so they pop uber, you might not have to, be cause there is a new attribute called "bot medic uber health threshold" which changed the minimum health before popping uber. I've never tested it however :/
Im already aware it exists, however as the contest voting stage is still running im not updating my map during that time so those medics will remain at 40hp during that time. I created that crit medic before that attribute was added (im not sure if that was before the first test of my map though since i didnt edit the class afterward). For a potential newer version (a12) i already changed it.

I was even thinking on waiting until the 2nd stage has finished to see if someone made a very good creation of the map (im not going to take an average looking map as starting point as in that case i rather would try to go for detailing myself - i however still want to give people a chance). But i can still do alpha versions to just test the waves. And a12 is most likely going to feature updated classes and some other fixes to make the waves work better in some situations (wave 1 and 4 being waves that could get some changes - although for wave 4 i dont agree with people saying it is too hard just because they arent used at the map).

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
It has been a while since i bumped this thread. but finaly there is progress worthy to post!
2015-07-29_00001.jpg

2015-07-29_00002.jpg

The fences are left overs from the old positioning, which i left there for referencing. The wooden barriers indicate the possible way of making it a wall later except they lose transparency that way. So ill have to find out something to solve that.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
New weapon found:

MvM Intercept B1
is now released
You can download it now
Hud doesn't work thanks to valve

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2070422/mvm_intercept/mvm_intercept_b1.zip

Valve has broken alot in mvm and sadly this map is heavily affected by it since it relies heavily on the hud to assist players. But the capture progress is currently not being displayed. The alarm sounds also dont help on this part since they only detect when they are attacking when the team is unaware (no one near the point - as otherwise it would be constant alarm all wave long).

So this made the map alot harder. Luckily there are a few new waves to test. This time on normal and intermediate difficulty. There also is an elite mode which is simply just trying to get the max out of a team (its alot harder than expert and most teams will say that wave 1 is even impossible - yet we managed to reach wave 3 before although painfully). but still, its testing food!

Note that the popfiles and icons are NOT packed in the map and are just placed aside the map. This has to do with the issues of mvm currently where nothing custom is being displayed yet. And that servers manualy seem to send their icons to the client resulting in multiple icons for the same class. These servers currently can still use their own.

Cartfridge

L2: Junior Member
Jul 29, 2015
A very fun map (even if it's not the hardest)
I sure had a blast playing with you guys while my brain was coping with the 5 hours of sleep and the constant spamming of "putis".
Cheers!

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
3 screenshots showing some detailing + 2 screenshots showing the range of the sentry gun (which also shows that the defendable area is still the same compared to the old hatch area

Attachments

• 2015-09-02_00003.jpg
    2015-09-02_00003.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 2015-09-02_00002.jpg
    2015-09-02_00002.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 244
  • 2015-09-02_00004.jpg
    2015-09-02_00004.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 2015-09-02_00005.jpg
    2015-09-02_00005.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2015-09-02_00007.jpg
    2015-09-02_00007.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 254

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Changes:
  • The hatch area has been reworked to give a smoother pathing to C and make it easier for players to find out the way the paths work.
  • The hatch area has basic detailing (no morphed displacements, no extended detailing)
  • Reworked some ammo/health positions so the engineer should have a better chance at defending C
  • A few nav related bugs have been fixed near the bot spawn
  • Missions have been updated:
    • Normal has wave 4 splitted and wave 5 became a boss oriented wave.
    • Advanced 3 has been added as concept. The mission itself is still unfinished. The original state and a updated state both have been added.
    • Advanced 1 has a rework in a way that the target is going to be expert difficulty (it was too hard for advanced yet too easy for expert initialy)
    • In most missions the bots now more often directly attack B rather than taking the detour of A and attacking B from behind
Currently known bugs/suggestions (they arent fixed but discovered during the private test):
  • The alarm sounds sometimes seem to mess up and might not play at all.
  • Spawn door triggers are slightly too small which slightly hinders the scout.
  • Once you drop down from the higher area near C its hard to get back up unless you are a scout. A supportive path is welcome.
  • Bots sometimes get stuck at pillars.

Still unfixed:
  • The hud is broken and doesnt display any capture status (valve hasnt fixed that)

Read the rest of this update entry...

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Version B3 on its initial public test showed some major issues which is why i had to make a B3a. But that one passed the test hence its now public!

Changelog:
- Control point hud showing up again
- More detailing added
- Missions updated (mostly normal,adv2 and expert1 had updates)
- Fixed a bug where bots jump down from C and die from fall damage (they now walk down from the bridges)

Known bugs:
- Alarm sounds play again although sometimes still arent entirely correct. But they are still more helpfull than during the times there were none.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Updates:
- Missions updated (a v1 and v2 of advanced 1 are made to cover changes that were made after the test, v2 being the one to be tested and v1 being the outdated one)
- All map regions are now detailed (some areas have basic detailing only)
- Initial connection for the 3d skybox is made

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
For the icons:
I can give some icons a shot. For the Backburner, I think the most simple might just be the Pyro's flame with an arrow curling back on it or something.