Giza

MVM Giza b6

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
A5 has been released!

This is the first version that has no major problems (yes, i did find a few issues but none of them broke the map).

I was working on a new mission (expert difficulty) when we tested this and although that mission isnt in the download i still found this version worthy to be released (i can allways ninja update this with the new mission since they arent packed inside the bsp).

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
List of known issues (and status):
  • Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep. I need to have a system to reduce that (needs local testing for A6)
  • When A and B is capped, the nav changes instantly making bots cap C before the 22 seconds are over (needs local testing for A6)
  • Damn u bots not capping A... i need to fix that prerequisite... (needs local testing for A6)

Last edited:

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
List of known issues:
  • Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep, Beep beep. I need to have a system to reduce that
  • When A and B is capped, the nav changes instantly making bots cap C before the 22 seconds are over
  • Damn u bots not capping A... i need to fix that prerequisite...
Like I said in game, you could change the beep beep beep beep thing with the Administrator's voice simply saying "attention, CP 1 is being captured"
Or make it so that it only beeps on CP's being captured where no players are present. O rsomething like that.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Or make it so that it only beeps on CP's being captured where no players are present. O rsomething like that.
Thats the suggestion i already gave but im not sure if thats going to be enough :p

Once bots attack both sides i can imagine that teams have a hard time holding both. And when they cant hold A it shouldnt suddenly start beeping again.

Oh, and if i use the administrator voice i would put that at the start for them and only make it trigger when it has been inactive for a while (for example wait 25 seconds after the last group passed).

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
A6 has been tested today. the following issues are to be done:

• Z clipping near the C-Hatch middle tunnel
  • Where A actualy has the response of a door closing, B doesnt have any downside so losing that barely matters
  • Alarm sound system broke (already found the issue)
  • Waves feel short. Where mannhattan provides 3 subwaves for 3 sections of the map. i only have 3 waves for 4 sections. Although my waves are harder in general i noticed C rarely gets capped even if we failed once on all parts (although, we are capable of doing mannhattan without a single point lost).
  • Gatebots which arent giant are able to walk back when they trace a player. A thing i dont think that should happen (although i might have to verify if the same happens on mannhattan).
  • Double money collecting on the grinder. We managed to lose 9 during a wave and push in 3 bots worth 3 to still get a bonus of 100. But also we lost 4 once, airblasted a both worth 5 in and didnt get the bonus (it said a bonus of 1 as we collected 1 too much).

Especialy for the bold one i would like a suggestion. It should suddenly make it overpowered but it should make it a bit more anoying to hold the area near that point allowing bots to leave their spawn.

Possible options as 'B was capped punishment':
  • Close the C to B shortcut staircase (currently prefered since for the bots the detour would be minimal while for players it will be noticed alot)
  • Close the deathpit
  • Open an alternative spawn exit to reduce the bottlenecking
  • Close some A to B connections

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
A7 issues:

Bots out of a sudden had a 'Lets walk between A and B but never cap' moment. Its a downside compared to A6 on that hence im not releasing this.
Especialy since bots didnt realy make sense after a cap anymore. Its going to need more testing for A8.

And other A7 issues:
The door at B didnt work at all. it was there... Forgot the trigger on it (oops).
The bossfight atm was overkill. Only pyros could counter him (which was odd as there was alot of airblast knockback on them).

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
We tested A8 yesterday and again.. issues (well, actualy just 1):

I noticed that when you win a round and have a few points captured that it doesnt reset the counter for the cps. Meaning that capping a point again makes them think they capped C already. This could explain some of the older behaviour of them attacking the wrong point.

And that version has the #1 most requested thing in it. A forward upgrade station.

That boss from A7 has become alot better and its now in a very good state to play against it.

Still, hopefully i can tackle that big issue in a9 withouth having other things broken. Its now finetuning the map so it doesnt get moments on which the map breaks. Deadlocking doesnt happen, but if gatebots already try to cap the bomb after only capping A and B it breaks the map in gameplay and often makes missions harder (since i use strong pushes they now have to be killed during their attacking while normaly a capture can weaken them alot).

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Alpha 9 has been released.

Finaly a fully working (as far as i know bugless) version!

Now with an expert wave which has been fully tested in wave 1,2 and 3. and wave 4 is untested.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
A10 is allmost done. I did a change to the way the bots move through the map to avoid C being attacked too fast.

Giants no longer will walk near C when they dont have to cap it yet, small bots will still do that. This should make defending easier.

And i made a few images showing the paths for each phase (for bombers its simply the fastest they can walk except on those last parts):

Note: for the bombers the type is ignored, i just showed diffirent lines to show which bot is which. Those diffirent line types only matter for the blue and red lines.

How the map starts:
Phase1.jpg

After A is capped (as first point):
Phase2-A.jpg

After B is capped (as first point):
Phase2-B.jpg

Once both capped
Phase3.jpg

Once C is capped the gatebots no longer are active and all that matters are the bomber paths.
Phase4.jpg

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Download link is fixed now.

I changed the filename to have the _bsp suffix for that contest upload thread while not keeping the old url active.

iWantcoal

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2013
Since you aren't taking custom mvm missions, I don't have much hopes on this. But, will you be taking custom icons for after the contest? Because some of the icons don't look good and most importantly are confusing (when I saw the rapid fire soldier icon mixed with a shotgun shell I thought: wtf, dumpster diver?), especially the phlog pyro icon.

PS. "Rocket Rain Soldier" sounds a bit un-serious, maybe call him "Mega-Barrage Soldier" or "Carpet Barrage Soldier"

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
I actualy never realy said i wouldnt be taking custom missions (especialy since i didnt know if it was allowed), but i indeed did say i would do some missions myself. I wouldnt have any issues with people making custom waves for the map, and if i like them i might still ask them if it could be a default mission for the map. For the contest i however wanted my own missions only (because it gave me freedom on setting up the map system - if someone else was making a wave he would have the moment that i made the big change on the template setup only to make it easier, and because then it realy was my own work).

The icons were just a quick mockup to at least have the new classes differ from other ones. I realy have no issues if others make better ones. Just to note that they wont be exclusive to this map as im also most likely going to use them on mvm_sundown.

And about the rocket rain soldier, its the name i gave it in the popfile since valve already used rocketshotgun (heal on hit soldier - where 3 rockets arent even a decent shotgun). I just displayed that name. If i would actualy take a name i would do 'rocket shotgun' since that realy matches what the class does.

Also note, that im not taking part in stage 2 of the contest. I only did part 1.

So, if you (or Oswinnin who asked for it on page 1) want to make custom waves you can!

Also, i have names for the missions in my map although the files dont mention them. And the difficulties actualy have to be changed on them. They refer to intercepting data transmissions:
Normal (becomes advanced1): Mann in the middle
Advanced 1 (becomes expert 1): Bruteforce
Expert 1 (whatever comes after expert i dont know, and if im ever going to finish it i also dont know since even for my team its usualy too hard to beat) has no name.

Last edited:

iWantcoal

Sep 7, 2013
Rocket rain soldier's icon is indeed quite hard to design, as the rockets are large and becomes blurry when rotated. I'm thinking if you could put a hat on the robot, and the icon will be the hat it's wearing? (like how valve did Major Crits and how I did Airblast pyro, which is a roadcone)

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
I like the rocket rain one alot because of its simplicity on showing what it does.

However, to me the phlog isnt actualy very clear that its a pyro since to me it looks more like an EMP effect rather than flames.
The icon i think that would work best for the phlog and probably the backburner is simply showing the nozzle of the weapon. The nozzle of those 2 weapons are very clear after all. Except the jumping part of the backburner might go unnoticed then, but maybe that icon already does show enough

iWantcoal

Sep 7, 2013
[New phlog pyro] [Backburner]

The shotgun icon inspired me to draw only the most recognizable part of a weapon, in this case being the Dr. Grordbort engraved fuel canister. For backburner, it is more difficult since the only unique part is the nuzzle, which is too detailed for 64x64. I'll think about it later.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
For backburner, it is more difficult since the only unique part is the nuzzle, which is too detailed for 64x64. I'll think about it later.
It doesnt have to be a sharp drawing of that nozzle anyway. If you compare those boss icons in detail then they are also far too detailed for the screen. So it might not actualy be bad to have such detail on it.
Still, the icon idea of you is good. Except, those wings get cut of on the edges. Thats something that shouldnt be the case. If needed just reduce the flame size a little to allow the wings to not get cut off.

The new phlog icon is an improvement to me. Although still not clear it at least has something that isnt confusing and actualy can be guessed (unlike deflector heavies with their airblast icon). This one is what i call worthy as icon.

For the rocket rain icon i already have an idea for an improvement to make the icon more simple using the same idea as you had for it.

EDIT:

Here are the 2 tries of trying to simplify the rocketrain icon by being symetrical:
This is the one i prefer:
leaderboard_class_rainsoldier.png

And this was the one i created on attempt 1 which had too large rockets in it:
leaderboard_class_rainsoldier2.png

Last edited: