Ghost mode in Halloween minigame

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
Greetings, again.
I'm trying to use the post-round deathmatch minigame that Helltower uses in my halloween cp_steel map, and it almost works correctly. The main issue is that after death, players become invisible and their corpse and/or cosmetics hover in place where they died. What's supposed to happen is that they become ghosts who can fly around and say 'Boo!". I was told that I needed to 'pre-cache' the ghost models, but I'm not sure what this means. And if that fixed the models, would it also allow the ghosts to speak? I can't find anything inside Helltower that has to do with these ghosts, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Greetings, again.
I'm trying to use the post-round deathmatch minigame that Helltower uses in my halloween cp_steel map, and it almost works correctly. The main issue is that after death, players become invisible and their corpse and/or cosmetics hover in place where they died. What's supposed to happen is that they become ghosts who can fly around and say 'Boo!". I was told that I needed to 'pre-cache' the ghost models, but I'm not sure what this means. And if that fixed the models, would it also allow the ghosts to speak? I can't find anything inside Helltower that has to do with these ghosts, so I'm not sure how to proceed.
Pre-Caching the models would just mean placing a copy of the model in your map, I believe. The turning to ghosts on death might be an addcond, not too sure though. if so, you can use a tf_add_player_condition

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Place these models into your map and that should give your players a visible ghost model.
2zODddf.png

As for the Boo sounds, have an ambient_generic with the soundname "Halloween.GhostBoo" in your map, or copy it from Helltower
6C6zSLl.png

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
Place these models into your map and that should give your players a visible ghost model.
2zODddf.png

As for the Boo sounds, have an ambient_generic with the soundname "Halloween.GhostBoo" in your map, or copy it from Helltower
6C6zSLl.png
Thanks a bunch! This gets me thinking, could the models and sounds be changed? Makes me imagine crates flying around making box-smashing noises...

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Thanks a bunch! This gets me thinking, could the models and sounds be changed? Makes me imagine crates flying around making box-smashing noises...
More or less.
You could export a crate model using the same filename as the ghost and that would work, however the problem is precaching.
Players who play your map first will see crates, but players who played another map before yours will have precached the stock models and see ghosts.
It's not a good idea to do this.

The sounds on the other hand, definitely. You just need to make your own soundscript.