Gaming Night VI - March 8th

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I request admin for next time and other people to, so nothing like this happens again. Doesn't give tf2maps.net a good name doesn't it? :(

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah, I finally make one of these shindigs and there's no custom maps to play. Maybe next time.

BTW, nice sniping Snipergen, you certainly live up to your name. :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no, you lot are the failers.... My server is ready and waiting... yet no one joined. if the TF2maps.net server isnt running customs, you can bet mine is, because it only runs customs....

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Dont see why you can't use common sense really,I said that my server is there waiting for use so why should it not be today? and anyway I wasn't aware the games day was failing.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I sense some anger in all youmes posts today. :D

Im off to bed :p gg on the stock maps guys, it was fun. Vander, thx, I try not to be a sniper bitch most of the time :p its spy or demo for me ^^

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Dunno what the no map thing is about, perhaps the server was changing map?
but you dont really need an admin handy, and if lots of you pile on one of the other colts playground guys is sure to be on there after a short while, I'm not the only admin ya know.
The server runs 24/7 customs, from now on common sense should dictate that.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Sure, customs, but there's a list of maps we're supposed to be playing in the first post. The Colt's Playground server was on cp_roswell_b2, which while I sure wouldn't mind playing on, isn't on that list. So we had nothing to indicate that it was, in fact, ready, and that it would be rotating through that list of maps.

Vander

Feb 16, 2008
Doesn't matter who is right or wrong here gents. Here is what I got out of today's failure:

I had to set my Steam to auto-retry to even get into the TF2Maps server. It was full and stayed that way for a good amount of time. Our biggest problem was making sure we have interest in testing out custom maps....looks like the interest is there gents.

Isn't that all that matters?

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
There is a difference in playing or testing custom maps. I think gameday is meant for playing (custom) maps.

If you really want to test them for usable feedback, gameday is not the best option.
Then you need 'Testday'. Why, because I imagine you want some rules like:
- first 5 minutes / first round is for just looking at the map for irregularites (like textures)
- testing balance red/blue
- last round, give feedback (by console or voice -> voice audible for both teams).
etc.

Note, this doesn't mean no custom maps and no testing at all on Gameday, but the main focus is playing

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Aye, I think that the gameday should be primarily for playing and enjoyment whilst testing should be for other occasions.
Thats not to say you cant point out flaws in the maps whilst playing, just the main focus should be enjoying the map. (And not just saying 'Next map already'....SOTD!!!!)

On a different note:
In the interest of preserving the gamesdays perhaps more admins should be made for the TF2maps.net server, say more prominant members, so that even if the main site guys arent there it doesnt fall through.
This is pretty much what we do on all the colts playground server, whilst you lot will think of me as the admin for our custom map lab server, there are about 30-40 others and about 10-15 others who have just as much, if not more, power to change maps, kick/ban, start votes....etc. Whilst you might think that this would cause clashes when two admins are on and they want to do different things but it doesn't, we make compromises so that as many players stay happy as posible.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I think gameday is meant for playing (custom) maps.

I have to disagree. If gameday were for just playing, there would be no point in having members of the community nominate their maps for playing on. We could all just pile on whatever custom map server happened to be available and it wouldn't matter what maps got played.

It would be a terrible waste of opportunity to get solid feedback from other mappers if gameday were "just for playing".

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
I have to disagree. If gameday were for just playing, there would be no point in having members of the community nominate their maps for playing on. We could all just pile on whatever custom map server happened to be available and it wouldn't matter what maps got played.

It would be a terrible waste of opportunity to get solid feedback from other mappers if gameday were "just for playing".

How about then : "Gameday is for playing (OUR) (custom) maps." ? :)

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
I am sorry about the last couple game days. Last week my computer / desk / room was in pieces and I did not get it all back together until to late, and this week I was stuck at a friends house in a Level 3 snow emergency.

DJive and Me are both waiting to hear back from DrPepper about getting the forum Moderators added as Admins on the TF2maps.net server. I think if that gets done then Game Days will go a lot smoother.

As for what maps to play I think that ideally Game day has multiple purposes:
  • Play custom maps from our members in all stages of completion.
    • You slapped together a concept and want to see how it works? Great, we will at least play a round or two to let you know how it works
    • You have been working on a map for months and finally want some game feedback? Great, we will play it and suggest tweaks to your map.
    • You have made a map, consider it finished and just want other people to play it? Sweet, we will kill each other, maybe complain a bit, but keep the criticism constructive.
  • Play maps that people really enjoy, but dont get to play that often.
    • These can be custom maps that other people have made that you really like, submit them and We will fit them into the rotation. (PS. I really like custom CTF maps)
  • Get less active Steam Group members to play with us. These are the people that just joined the group but have not been active. They will get a Steam Group alert saying that we are playing together as a group. Even if just one out of 50 come join us that is 4 inactive people hanging out with us, with the potential of them becoming active.
  • Get people that dont even know about us, but like to play custom maps to see our server online and come play with us. Maybe one or two will stop by the chat room or stop by the forums. Either way we gain a couple new people and more people hear about us.
  • Just play maps you / I / the person next to you, likes. So for me, I really like 2Fort and Gravelpit. I like playing with all you guys so I will probably submit those two for most game days. Maybe for the next game day I will put it up for a vote to see if people really dont want them to be there. I feel they should be there because:
    • I like them
    • Other people like them
    • It brings new blood onto the server
    • Said new blood will *hopefully* stick around for the custom rounds.
So, again, I just want to say I am sorry that this last game day was a complete bust and while I appreciate Youme's enthusiam, I think the bigger issue is getting our server to reliably host custom maps, and ESPECIALLY being up and running the correct rotation on game day.