May 14, 2008
a5 released.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Really enjoyed this version.
Still quite long sniper lines, but they seemed balanced
Engineers dominated the intel area, but a good uber push was generally effective - I liked that.
The fog was too thick, increasing the starting distance by a few hundred?

Overall, it was fun, but could do with a little more vertical spaces.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've decided to make some quite radical changes for the next update. Probably move the spawns and intel to a more central position of the base (instead of strictly left/right) and update the pathways around there.

And redo the middle, it's not really working as a battleground atm. I will have to think hard about this one... any suggestions are welcome.

I'm also making particles for the captures. So they get a bit more noticable when they happen. I'm thinking a massive shockwave of glowing sprites? yeah that'll do the trick.
SS-2010.03.08-21.43.50.png

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
The cap-at-flag mechanic made for some really exciting and satisfying turnaround caps. I know there were a couple complaints, but I think once people get used to the idea and adapt to it in terms of strategy and awareness, it'll be a much better CTF experience than standard 2fort rules.

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a little bit more connectivity between left and right sides of the bases. Currently the only way to cross between them is that one thin section (whether through the doors or jumping over). That might contribute to the feeling of separation. Ultimately that might be a good thing, if it's supposed to be the ninja route, but generally it felt unused.

EDIT: Regarding the middle, I think part of it is that it's a big valley running crosswise, which means anyone trying to get across is subject to soldier/demo splash spam. You have to be on one side or the other, or you're pretty much toast. On the other hand, I liked the general amount of cover I had as medic, so that's a good thing to keep.

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Welp, I'd say you got it nailed pretty well. My only concern besides the sightlines (which is somewhat unavoidable considering your notorious sniper play) was the gameplay mechanic, but now it all makes sense. Though the math is a bit wrong. 1+1=1.

No, I'm not saying to make captures add two points to the team scoreboard.

1, 1, 1... er, 1!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm looking for some quick input on the dropdown entrance towards the intel.
Currently making some heavy adjustments to the whole map, and I'm not sure if I should keep it or not. Either way it will get changed to fit the new environment but if it's not used I might aswell throw it out completely.

The actual question is not really if the current dropdown is any good or not, it's rather: Do you want a one-way attack route at all?

Sep 12, 2008
I'm looking for some quick input on the dropdown entrance towards the intel.
Currently making some heavy adjustments to the whole map, and I'm not sure if I should keep it or not. Either way it will get changed to fit the new environment but if it's not used I might aswell throw it out completely.

The actual question is not really if the current dropdown is any good or not, it's rather: Do you want a one-way attack route at all?

I'd say go for a new one. You can never get enough versions and experiments out before you go with a final idea, even if they turn out to be completely stupid. Don't change it too much though, since I really liked the overal gameplay.
I didn't really like that dropdown either to be honest. It was annoying to stand down there as a defender waiting for the attacker. You couldn't near the hole because you would get killed right away. Maybe if you didn't make it a hole but more something like a (tall and wide) doorway, it might work better?
That's only what I think about it, though!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
If I move the one-way closer to the intel, it might become too powerful, since it would mean a safe way to get close, unseen... I don't like that idea.

I have a fair bit of detailing already, which is somewhat annoying to work with, not because it's in the way or annoying to move (it isn't). But having it all match up again in their new locations, bleh.

I might have some screens later today, if I'm really lucky.

Sep 12, 2008
If I move the one-way closer to the intel, it might become too powerful, since it would mean a safe way to get close, unseen... I don't like that idea.

I totally didn't mean it like that, i meant the opposite. I'll try if I can get you some screenshots.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I totally didn't mean it like that, i meant the opposite. I'll try if I can get you some screenshots.

Thanks, But in my haste I've already made a path that I'm somewhat happy with, atleast in theory.
I'm now working on the middle section of the map. No screens yet though.. sorry.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
update to a6. finally.

I've been working hard on this one. Please check it out

quicklog:
new base structure, new mid layout. Lowered returntime to 15 sec. Dropdown redone. Lighter snowfall.

ctf_fusion_a60000.jpg

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I was getting some significant FPS hits in the middle looking towards the enemy base. I don't actually know if these existed in the previous versions.

I like what you did with the left/right connection in the base.

Due to everything being opened up a bit, plus that I still only use some very basic hinting the fps was bound to take a hit. I don't actually think it's much worse than a5, but it's a definitely going to be harder to optimize this new layout.

I was contemplating whether to bother with prop fade distances or not but figured it's still alpha and that playtesters could probably manage without it.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Just bringin' this up from Page 2

Bridge looks like combine architecture.

Looks nice and all, but it really does look a little too much like Combine architecture. Maybe its just the color scheme.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Not actually news, but I'm playing around with the demo smoother, my first attempt (that actually moved the camera around):

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOslEk02sM"]YouTube- TF2 Map - ctf_fusion_a6 - Demo smoother test[/nomedia]

:)

Last edited: