Fusion

CTF Fusion B2

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've done quite a bit of thinking, how I can make the flag mechanic more pub friendly. Because as it is now, it's very problematic having the intel return on every opportunity.

First thing I thought of is a sort of base boundary, where you can't return the intel. It is only possible to do so when it has left your base.

Implementing this would also require a more obvious base layout, which I think I'm going to build either way, the current indoor parts are too cramped.

So who thinks this sounds like a good idea? I want to hear what you thought of it the moment you read it. Is it stupid, or could it work?

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
I think the "cap at the flag" idea is too gimmicky.

The touch return is enough to get the attention of any and everyone.
bring back cap zones. touch return is second nature for anyone whose first fps isnt tf2 =]

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Map is not dead, I'm working on a2, though I dont have much mapping time to spend so it's very slow at the moment.

There are some major changes already, I wish I had some pictures, but for now you all just have to take my word for it.
The middle is reworked, tons of changes to the building areas, intel room remade.

I will also check out the new fancy I/Os added in the patch, they look great on paper.

honorum646

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 9, 2009
Totally unimportant but if this fusion such as that found in the sun (H2 + H2 --> He + energy). It would actually produce Helium-4, not 3.

Also, I don't see any reason for the name fusion, but i expect there to be some sort of reactor. (even though technically that would be fission).

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Totally unimportant but if this fusion such as that found in the sun (H2 + H2 --> He + energy). It would actually produce Helium-4, not 3.

Also, I don't see any reason for the name fusion, but i expect there to be some sort of reactor. (even though technically that would be fission).

I don't know all that much about chemistry, and I won't pretend I do.
I chose the formula Helium-3 + Helium-3 = Helium-4 + energy because it produces a fair amount of energy, is being used for tests and they look the same (so I don't need to model 2 different intelmodels!).
Also it's cooler looking than H2 :) But since I don't know better, I just picked one from a list of fusion formulas, if anyone knows what actually would make sense, be sure to tell me.

The name fusion first came as a description of the gamemode, bringing the flags together to score. I picked the snow theme because it's cold, and research for any kind of energy seemed appropriate to me.
There will be more of a lab/whatever feel to it, once I get to proper detailing (beta).

I test compiled a2 yesterday, it seems to work fine, but I found a few small things still bugging me.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
a2 released, tons of new stuff. New pictures in the OP

Bridge Scenario v2

edit: and yeah, comment as little as possible on the detail/texturing. Some things are just clearly not done. like the snow on roofs thing, others I just couldnt be bothered to fix at the moment. (just wanted to release, ugly but playable).

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Ok, I have a plan. To help myself, and others produce good maps.

If you (a mapper with a wip map) post a 'feedback reply' in this thread, I will personally pay you back by giving you feedback on your map of the same quality as you gave me.

If this works, I can see a future of great feedback bouncing back and forth if other people pick this 'experiment' up.
If you don't have a map, you're welcome anyway and I will reply with a friendly mspaint illustration or other amusing things! :)

You get what you give

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I have a quick run around and I found the following.

• You can get stuck in between these rocks. [1] [2]
  • These beams need to be clipped. [3]
  • Your spawn entrances need 'resupply' signs. [4]
  • Some strange gap in the bridge pillar. [5]

I'll try and throw this in for some impromptu testing at some point. :)

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
The architecture and all-around design looks nice and originally styled. It looks as fresh as it could without being a new theme. As to be expected from you, I suppose.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Thanks a lot guys, I'll get back to all of you shortly :)

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Just played this on the EU server. 'Twas fun. Here are some things that I noticed:

2dl23vt.jpg

You can get "stuck" in between the stump and the staircase. You can get out, but it could be a problem if there's an enemy chasing you.

4qlnwg.jpg

The model doesn't have a collision model. Making projectiles go through it. Maybe add a func_brush entity in the general shape of the rock to make it seem a bit more realistic.

The map was very fun to play. But I think the touch-return function is a bit unnecessary. It made capping the intel very difficult. There were some sniper lines in the middle area that I couldn't really screenshot. I'll post them later on if I have the time.

Great job, keep it up. :)

Jan 20, 2010
Yay picture input time! My usual disclaimer, most of this is personal opinion (obviously) so take it as you will. :)

ctf_fusion_a20000.jpg

When I walk up to this I get slowed down for about a second. I'm assuming it needs some sort of clipping where I blacked in so you can just walk on with no problem.

ctf_fusion_a20001.jpg

This reflective texture just looks odd to me here. At first I thought it was an accidental nodraw but it just looks weird to me.

ctf_fusion_a20003.jpg

Some sort of boxes or cover here would be nice. This room in general seems very open, which could be good or bad depending.

ctf_fusion_a20004.jpg

A small health pack and/or a small ammo pack would be useful here. It's in a good out-of-the-way area so it takes a bit of work to get to.

ctf_fusion_a20005.jpg

A shelf with some boxes would be useful here as well for some ambushing/spying.

ctf_fusion_a20006.jpg

I think you should extend the platform there to where the black is, makes walking up the stairs a bit less awkward.

ctf_fusion_a20007.jpg

A sign or some cover up on this roof would be useful. I also think it might not hurt to give some round-a-bout way for snipers to get up to the roof as well.

ctf_fusion_a20008.jpg

The far roof is clipped. I'm assuming it's to avoid soldiers and demomen getting from one side to the other but it seems like I should be able to get onto it when I'm playing. Maybe a higher roof or a second inaccessible story to the building would work to make it more obvious.

Hope that helps. :)

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Oh, something I else I just noticed which I came across when making my snow map.

You're using the HL2 snow texture, you want to be using the snow-blend under the TF keyword. Sure it means you have to do a lot of alpha displacing but I promise it looks much better

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Thats not the HL2 snow. It's the snow_full material that blends with the snowy grass texture.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Replacing the ugly cliff edges with actual industrial structures. Like it was planned from start.
Most of it is outside playable area so I went ahead and fixed it up. I could not stand having the temp-rockwalls anymore :D

Team_Fortress_2-2010.02.09-00.49.53.jpg

Sneak edit: new picture with modified env light.

Also, it's getting colder. 16 units of snow is predicted in the whole area!

Last edited:

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Hey if you need any custom textures done in any aspect, drop me a call.