CP Frozen

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I added shrubs and overlays to start fleshing out what the map will look like. I know that area is boring and flat, and when I detail, i plan to make it exciting. I was thinking about exactly doing what you were suggestion, BUT I don't want to make things crowded.

The reason that that area doesn't look exciting is because I just made it yesterday, and am looking to see how it plays before detailing... I know you enjoy detailing ravage, but detailing does not make the map :)

Prop

L3: Member
Jun 17, 2010
What ravage said i thought was a gameplay addition, not a deatailing addition. It could be somewhat a detailing but, looks like it would be added for gameplay

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
If you had played the map, you would see that doing that would make the area more cramped, something i would prefer to avoid doing (since its already a bit small as is). Yes, it looks pretty, but it looked more like a detail thing rather than a gameplay thing. Something I did after I posted these shots is that I removed the wood wall underneath the platform with the fence. This creates a little nook for red to set up a cheap/semi-weak sentry spot.

I'm on a deadline (in my mind) ... I start a huge semester in under a month, so i'd like to focus more on gameplay now rather than making it look pretty (something I did for the 72hr contest), and as thus, would really like some feedback on gameplay for the next version, which is coming out later today.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
cp_frozen_a3.bsp.bz2

a3:
broke a sentry spot in stage 1
added a ramp up to the bridges across the route after 1-1
made the canyon between 2-1 and 2-2 wider, redid the upper flank to be more seperate from the rest of the routes
broke a sentry spot in stage 2
redid red spawns in stage 3.

Issues I still know about, yet have not fixed (I don't see them as gamebreaking)
Crooked spec cam in stage 3
some setup gate doors can be flamed/exploded through.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
Stuff you need to fix so far.

Overlapping overlay.

KeRqQ.jpg

What is this... Areaportal fail?

91cyD.jpg

Wierd fade. Maybe fixing it?

IhFyi.jpg

CCck5.jpg

Mm, so far I noticed these. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
That what you call an areaportal issue is a skybox (sealing) issue I think.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Okay, so when I say the map is too small, or doesn't have any chokes between the points. I'm not just throwing it out there without some thought. If you look at dustbowl there is this bottleneck between the points in each stage. VERY easy to identify!
Frozen has no bottleneck where red can hold blue off and give them some time to set up new sentries. So a offensive team will just ROLL right through red after the first cap.

Now for some comparison shots!
Here I've made a unit of measurement in photoshop, it doesn't translate to any nice unit number in hammer, but it's something I can count and it's always the same size.
SS-2011.07.29-17.47.48_measure.jpg

So there we have a baseline for how long you travel from setupgate->point1->point2.

On Frozen, the stages are much shorter (notably stage 2 and 3).
SS-2011.07.29-17.45.15_measure.jpg

[Yes, both images are taken at the same scale, cl_leveloverview 9]

Last edited:

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
Aw man, now my feedback seems so unintelligent :(

http://i.imgur.com/SFSqN.jpg
These need to be clipped.

http://i.imgur.com/44vl4.jpg
This is an invisible wall!

http://i.imgur.com/vZCpU.jpg
These giant tubes suddenly stop into a thin wall. Maybe push back the machine a bit so the tubes look like they go somewhere.

http://i.imgur.com/zGknk.jpg
I thought I could jump over here to the other side, but the rock model has an invisible wall. I suggest either walling this off or making it possible to get over this gap with a double jump.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, so school will be starting for me soon, but I will (when I can) be working on each of the stages individually. Orange is spawn doors (not sure about the ones with the ? next to them, I will probably add the middle one.) Green are paths that you can't see from the picture (the grey platform is ~64u above the ground).... Distance from spawn to cp1 is ~1700u compared to the original distance which was 1250u (and as another reference, dustbowl s1cp1 is 2100u).

cp_frozen_stage_1_prt_1.png

I am trying to work on how to make the bottom right look less dull, and how to make that mid a little less open than it is now. But this is the general layout.

Here is the first half of the new stage 1 (second half may be similiar to the original. The other stages may not get this much of a change (for example, I want to keep stage 2, but I will be reworking some things so that it is easier for blu to hold after capping cp1)... but stage 1 will get settled first, then I'll move on.

EDIT: Windmills are gone (for now?)
EDIT 2: Also, that grey roof'd building top mid does not have a room that large... the room is around half or so?
EDIT 3: Have a screenshot
cp_frozen_stage_a_a10000.jpg

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
cp_frozen_stage_a_a1

Going to be testing these stage by stage now. I completely redid the first stage, hopefully this will play better and be less chokey than the previous version.

The other stages won't be completely redone as much as this, but there will be some changes that should be very beneficial.

Enjoy, feedback welcome.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Painfully easy to snipe. I was racking up very hefty killstreaks with the sydney sleeper.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
the respawn times for red in the test were 20+ seconds. that causes the following problems:
1. 20+ second respawn time sucks
2. red team doesn't respawn in time to properly set up on CP2 and has to get blu off it
3. 20+ second respawn time sucks

also, by "gay spots" in feedback i meant the pipe. a solly up there is rather unpleasant, instaflanking anyone exiting the right exit. if not clip, you could add a little awning over the spawn exit maybe

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I'm working on a mini project right now until I can see how much time I can put into cp frozen (only 3 weeks into classes, and I have a new schedule -_-")...

Once my mini project is done I will resume work on stage 1.

Things to fix:
Respawn times
Sightlines
final cap point being too hard to defend.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
About damn bloody time.

Updated the first stage to cp_frozen_stage_a_a2 (blame rexy, i'm using his naming convention)

Have some pictures of the changes:
cp_frozen_stage_a_a20000.jpg

cp_frozen_stage_a_a20001.jpg

cp_frozen_stage_a_a20002.jpg

This pictures show:
#Added a dynamic element (<3) to CP1. There is a large door that will remain down until CP1 is captured. On capture, it will rise up. There is also 2 ways around said door. It has the same flow, but not such a long sight line.
#CP2 has been reworked, it now has a dropdown into the CP building. This dropdown does not interact with the point, red can barely see any of the cap area from the drop down (this is a good thing)
#Added a little nook/thing for sentries, to cover B, but might end up being too powerful. Just testing it for now.
#Added cover coming out of lower exit for red.
#A gamebreaking Misaligned texture in the red spawn room.

This pictures do not show:
#Fixed respawn times so you don't have 20s respawns anymore

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
the pictures show:
a gamebreaking misaligned texture