[ETF2L Contest WIP] CP ASH RIDGE

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Formerly named yukon; now, Ash Ridge!

This map seeks to address the underuse of some of the utility classes in micro (6v6) play through distinct path choices, several useful dropdowns, and creative geometry placement limiting the effectiveness of the more used classes (namely the junk above the center point preventing cross-map leaps.)

Balance is still being fine tuned.

Thanks to:
Acegikmo, my mapping partner and creator of all the custom textures
Shmitz, for making the alpha displacement material
Akill from ETF2L and his crew for introducing core comp concepts to me and helping me understand what they need
F_M and 2f2f for playtesting, and Persian for resource checking.

Current version has 1 problem with an unpakratted texture resulting in some checkerboards. A2 will have this solved!
Link: Download!

Screenshots:

Blue spawn:
cp_ash_ridge_a10003.jpg

Blue CP 1 (final CP):
cp_ash_ridge_a10002.jpg

Blue CP 2:
cp_ash_ridge_a10001.jpg

Middle CP:
cp_ash_ridge_a10000.jpg

DL Link posted! Look at top of post!

Constructive crits only, thanks gents~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Wow, I just love it.

My only suggestion is that you brighten up some parts of the level as alot is covered in shadows.

ikem

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 8, 2008
mangy is the man :D

nice job mid looks outstanding i will comment more when i playtest

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
I have to agree with Ikem, that middle cp looks amazing for an alpha I and other cp's are also really good.
I also like the way you've used the alpine props but not fully set the map in alpine. It give the map a lovely feeling.

Cerulean

L3: Member
Sep 12, 2008
This map was... I'm going to call it "intuitively fun." For the 10 minutes I played... there were just a couple things I'm not sure about. The first thing was that a couple paths seemed a little hard to go up, esp. right outside of spawns. The second was that there was an area or two that felt like it should've had a small health kit hiding nearby, to put out the fire... but I died both times. But it was fun. And you and your stupid medic owned me.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Whoo, nice nice :D Can't wait to play it :)

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
At the second pic is was like OMGWTF...

Nicely done, and i agree that some places are a little bit dark.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Mind if I post the dl link (when it becomes available) and map description on gotfrag? You can get much better competitive advice from there as well, mainly because the US teams browse that site.

Also, <3 for using Granary Sky.

CJLJ

L1: Registered
Apr 27, 2008
I haven't had a chance to play it in a game yet, but i did notice a couple of things. The bridge at mid as duplicate brushes on the red side, the stone arch at red 2 has bad seams and the ladders at cp 1 are really hard to run up unless you approach them dead on (maybe make it wider with clips?).

It's the only ETF2L map entry so far that looks great and isn't just a rehash of Valve maps though so i'm rooting for you to win.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks guys. I appreciate all that CJ, I'll be sure to remove those things. Ladder clips are definitely funny... if you run at them straight they work fine, otherwise they kinda screw up.

Cerious, I'd love it if you could promote this anywhere that plays the 6v6 format, as that is the best feedback source for this competition. Thank you!

I'll probably release an a2 relatively soon to address initial problems.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Gameday: I was interested to see how players would blend into the new textures in a real game (and not just screenshots). It worked really well I must say, never had any troubles noticing blue (or red) players against the gray/brownish rocks.

As a sniper I enjoyed the fact the the layout almost forced me to move forward to be effective. There is almost no cover to hide behind (goes for both sniper and "target") so you gotta be quick and move around a lot to keep alive.

There are no real sniper spots or such (that I could find) so when using the "camp sniping" technique you will find it hard to get any of the action. Maybe at the middle point you could stand around a bit, but since its out in the open youre likely to get backstabbed pretty quickly. point 2/4 and 1/5 are not made for campers at all :)

Some may say it's a sniper friendly map and to some extent I agree, but only to certain snipers... those who are willing to set fire to their boots and run around like crazed gunmen.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
[AoC] would really love to give you map a comp playtest. Please check this out.

Steam me (steam id: b_Mar_d) if your interested.

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
Dear lord mangy! I saw the original yukon and ran all around it and was absolutely delighted by the sexy layout but this version has far and above surpassed my expectation! HOLY CRAP! The 2nd screen is just stunning! I love the style!

As far as balance I haven't had a chance to play a full game but I just love it to bits so I'll try and get my clan to PUG on it. :3

For looks, the only things that are the least bit disappointing are the out-of-place brown rocks around middle and the lack of the affore-promised snow textures. :(

<333

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
We tested the map last week end, it's pretty nice. Just one problem, IMO the last point is way to close from the spawn exit, it's not impossbile to take of course but it's very frustrating for the "loosing team" not to be able to get out of spawn to defend. We'll surely play it more as it's part of the cycle now.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
We tested the map last week end, it's pretty nice. Just one problem, IMO the last point is way to close from the spawn exit, it's not impossbile to take of course but it's very frustrating for the "loosing team" not to be able to get out of spawn to defend. We'll surely play it more as it's part of the cycle now.
this is the only issue i saw during gameday. the spawn is WAAAY to close the last point.
ass.. errr ash ridge looks and plays amazing. i can totally see this becoming official.