Engineer Update is Here!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Huh, I didn't expect to see so many negative opinions on Thunder Mountain. I was slightly annoyed by the whole three payload maps in one update thing, but every single one has exceeded my expectations. Upwards looks and plays brilliant, Hightower is an interesting twist on payload race, and Thunder Mountain is the first staged map I really enjoy. It's open, has lots of routes, and has a lot of interesting ways of playing it. I guess the third stage doesn't work for everyone, but I had a lot of fun on it. I agree that the detailing is a bit weird though - beautiful in places, and then really bland in some.

Overall, I think Valve is really improving their map making.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Probably my favorite thing added so far is indeed the building carrying. Probably the craziest thing I'm doing with it (and others are picking up on...) are when a Lvl 3 sentry of yours is about to go down (such as when Blu pushes on an A/D and you're Red), you pick up the sentry and run for cover. Later, during a lull in the action, set it back up and repair. I still don't know if this is good or bad...

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Whatever it is, it's definitely the most elegant way to solving the Engineer's "binary playstyle" problem. Whether it's balanced is a second, I can imagine Valve tweaking the setup times for higher-level buildings a little bit, or adjusting the Engineer's walking speed with the buildings - but overall it's a great idea.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
I think it's pretty fair, the amount of people that get killed whilst moving their shit is amazing.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Whatever it is, it's definitely the most elegant way to solving the Engineer's "binary playstyle" problem. Whether it's balanced is a second, I can imagine Valve tweaking the setup times for higher-level buildings a little bit, or adjusting the Engineer's walking speed with the buildings - but overall it's a great idea.

I expect to see things such as changing around the func_respawnroom entities in previous maps so that attacking teams can set up buildings before the round begins.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
So any ideas about what valves next plan of action for tf2 updates is?
Where's the meet the videos?
Is robin going to be annoyed at that artist for insulting him in a newspaper clipping?

Find out next week on...

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Really nobody spotted the hidden newspaper clipping saying something about robin?

Feb 17, 2009
That clipping is from the War or even Sniper vs. Spy update.
Robin would have fired somebody already if he would want to.:facepalm:

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
That clipping was from the Classless Update. All you people are terrible at being right.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
There's a lovely new props folder called "props_coalmines" that has all the new rocks and a few mining-themed walls 'n struts 'n things. Some of the wall-fence things could probably be done moderately easily with func_detail brushes, but these work well too. A couple might be good for adding a wooden door in a brushwork mining fence.

My favorite part is the new industrial-style windows - they're the same dimensions as some of the existing window props, but just different enough in their details that they can be used to break up monotony in a map with lots of detail windows. :) Very useful to me right now...

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
There's a lovely new props folder called "props_coalmines" that has all the new rocks and a few mining-themed walls 'n struts 'n things. Some of the wall-fence things could probably be done moderately easily with func_detail brushes, but these work well too.

Hopefully there will be less 2fort fence and more of these fences. I've already replaced the two 2fort ones in my map.