Droppin' Bombs - my BOMBTASTIC Indie Iphone Game!!

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
When I think of indie games I'm thinking Magicka, Killing Floor, Amnesia,Torchlight, and Overgrowth. Games that are innovative and trying something new for the heck of it in contrast to the corporate world which just remakes the same game every year.

That's not what I see here, and frankly I'm really getting tired of people riding the indie bandwagon to the bank like this. Sure it fits the literal criteria of an indie game, but what is setting this apart from the other thousands of games out there?
You're comparing a small, casual, beta iPhone game to full-priced, complete PC games with dedicated development teams. See the problem?

From what I'm seeing, not a whole lot really. The video you posted shows the gameplay as yet another simple touch everything game, and then seemingly out of nowhere the player gets a game over?
You're supposed to get combos by touching multiple bombs of the same color. If you've ever played a game like Destruct-O-Match, it's like that except the bombs are falling from the sky rather than from the top of the screen. When a bomb lands on a bomb that hasn't yet been tapped, you lose a heart. Once all of the hearts are out, the game ends.

It really wasn't that hard to figure out.

If that's all the gameplay your game has to offer that's definitely not going to set your game apart with that.
Sometimes, destroying bombs is more fun than rapidly pressing key combinations to create spells which you combine into more powerful spells with up to 3 friends.

This is a game that I'd probably get if my iPhone's battery wasn't small enough to make me have to conserve it.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Gotta agree though, I mean getting a game to work like this will help you get a lot of experience and it's hard to get over some initial hurdles but in the end this is nothing more than your average Newgrounds or Kongregate Flash game that people might play for 3-4 minutes and then move on. It might be a solid first project and that's fine but it's really nothing special so being a bit more humble could probably help. "Help me get rich and famous" even as a joke is not gonna get you any sympathy.

How much is the game anyway? What is the gameplay like, are there multiple modes? A summary is really needed, a gameplay video with little commentary doesn't quite cut it. What about the size of the objects anyway, aren't they a bit small to be touched with a finger, especially the top row? Right now the website is down so I can't comment on that at all

and the photo on the toilet is just a very bad idea

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
You're comparing a small, casual, beta iPhone game to full-priced, complete PC games with dedicated development teams. See the problem?

Nononono

I'm complaining about samey effectively clone games sporting the indie title in an attempt to gain recognition over their corporate counterparts.

Also innovation and creativity are possible on all gaming platforms regardless of development team size (see braid, crayon physics, world of goo etc). So I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here? Iphone games are exempt from creativity and innovation because of these factors?

I don't buy that.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
I'm very sorry that we still don't share the same sense of humor, trotim :)

- The first release will have 3 game modes.
- So far we didn't receive any complaints about the elements being too small.

Thanks for jumping in to our defense, Verumae :)
We're quite aware of the fact, that there are other games out there by professionals (artists or programmers) that have different target groups, much more content and no toilet pictures included.

We're just very proud how far we got with this. We found each other on the Unity3d forums and collaborated since february and 6 months later finally got to submit the game to a couple of testers - which was a huge success already for us.
I'm not professional artist and blake is no professional coder, however we managed to get something out of the initial prototype:
droppinbombs_collage.jpg

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
Nononono

I'm complaining about samey effectively clone games sporting the indie title in an attempt to gain recognition over their corporate counterparts.
I didn't see him say "this game is good because it's indie" anywhere. Plus, I don't see any corporate game like this.

Also innovation and creativity are possible on all gaming platforms regardless of development team size (see braid, crayon physics, world of goo etc). So I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here? Iphone games are exempt from creativity and innovation because of these factors?

I don't buy that.
You're pretty much just saying what he's doing is unoriginal and is a clone of a corporate game. Just because he's not inventing new laws of science doesn't mean what he's doing is bad.

I am now going to stop arguing for reasons unknown.