DotA 2 Beta

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Having never played any dota style games before and playing 7 or 8 practice games of dota 2 I don't see how this could ever be a newbie friendly style of game.

It feels like to play with other people you need to already be a competitive level player, which would probably take a whole year of practice matches.

A hundred heroes, unique to each team, a thousand items AND crafting recipes... Why make a game with a vertical learning curve? Their entire target audience is people who already play dota style games. They're never going to snare new players.

I just don't understand why there are so many of these games, DOTA, LoL and HoN exist, and now Valve are making Dota 2 and Blizzard are making Blizard Dota? It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I just don't understand why there are so many of these games, DOTA, LoL and HoN exist, and now Valve are making Dota 2 and Blizzard are making Blizard Dota? It just doesn't make sense.

Dont they have different themes or something like that?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Oh shit trotim you made tech wars?

That shit was so beast man i loved it holy fuck

Haha yeah, didn't think anyone would still remember that. That was years ago, just started mapping/modding then

At least Blizzard Dota makes some sense - they are Blizzard and the map technically was theirs to begin with. They are also only making a custom map, not an entire different game. On top of that though their FAQ already states a lot of departures from the original concept that honestly sound like they're for the better - http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/maps-and-mods/faq/dota

So in a way Blizzard Dota will be more original than Dota 2 or HoN even though it's just a map they make, not a full game. That's because they're allowed to change the formula (unlike Valve apparently).

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Oh hey this thread popped up.

Dota 2 is a very, very, very well done game, but I don't have to tell you that when the competition is Vanilla DotA, which suffers from a lot of engine limitations and control difficulty; League of Legends, which is promising yet has an awful community and lacks the polish to succeed; and Heroes of Newerth, because frankly what has S2 made in its 5 year lifespan that wasn't a buggy, unbalanced pile of crap? Dota 2 is a Valve game, and let me say that even missing half of its features, it still has an incredible level of detail and polish.

YM has a point when he says there's a steep learning curve. A steep learning curve. But it's very easy to overcome with the power of reading. Dota is not for the faint of heart. It requires a lot of analysis and thought to play properly, which is why it's very competitive. Like chess, there's a lot more than meets the eye, and it takes a lot of watching and reading to get a grasp on the game. You will play poorly, you will play poorly for a while. But in the end, Dota is a game of skill, knowledge, and luck. Heroes and items take a lot less to memorize than you'd think. Even skimming through a hero's information will give you enough to know about them. Most Heroes follow basic patterns that become easy to pick up with experience.

Dota's learning curve is comparable to most fighting games, where you end up associating things like Dragon Punches or characters that are Akuma. You see something, then you can associate that with a number of other things. You'll have trouble jumping in, but if you read a few beginner's guides you start to snowball in information. When you grasp the gameplay, you grasp the mechanics. When you grasp the mechanics, you grasp the skills. Eventually you'll understand enough to be able to wing a few matches.

But the reason that Dota is so loved is because, not only is a lot of the game sheer skill and knowledge, there's also always more to learn. How can I make my Dragon Knight build better? How can I be more effective as Slardar? You start to improve yourself autonomously, doing experiments in matches, and getting a feel for everything. At the start you'll probably stick to two or three heroes and learn them, then start playing more heroes and more until you've mastered everyone.

Here's a few things that can help to get you started:
  • The Dota 2 Wiki - Contains a lot of the information for the currently implemented heroes. Good for checking facts and information on the fly. Better written and more accurate than PlayDotA, but with less facts overall.
  • The List of Heroes on PlayDotA - This is a complete listing of all heroes - implemented and unimplemented - in DotA. Poorly written at times, but complete, and contains a lot of guides.
  • Welcome to DotA, You Suck - A harsh, yet excellent guide for new players. Walks you through what you should and shouldn't do.
  • Masterja's Total Newbie Guide - Less harsh than Purge's, but not as good overall in my opinion. Still useful for new players to read through.

If you're still interested, and want to get into the Dota 2 Beta, finding a key is going to be difficult. Some places, like PlayDota, are giving away keys constantly, and there's a lot of contests. The Steam Surveys will sometimes drop keys, and they go out in waves a bunch. Another avenue is to do something that gets IceFrog's attention (mine was with the wiki.) The beta is closed, but keys are generally available.

Until you can get into Dota 2, feel free to play a few dotalikes. Heroes of Newerth is the most recent, and most like DotA, that you can get if you want playability. But it has a rather crappy community and the game isn't very balanced. If you want to play the original DotA, you just need Warcraft 3 and the Frozen Throne, then you can download the map from PlayDota. There are AI maps available that'll let you play by yourself so you can get some practice in before actually playing games. I haven't used the platforms much, so don't ask me how they work, and it's fairly archaic. League of Legends is... well it's not really DotA at this point. It's an option, and it's more newb friendly, but the experience you'll get will be a lot different from Dota 2.

tl;dr: YM is half right/half raged - DotA, and Dota 2, have a steep learning curve but you can read some guides to get over it.

Part 2 - DotA with a Vengeance

Okay, so I responded to YM's comments without reading the thread first. Here's a little about why I like Dota 2 so much: my experience with DotA goes back about five or six years when me and some friends would play it during computer classes in middle school. We weren't very good, but then again none of us really played it that seriously. The reason we played it at all was because one of my friends' brothers showed it to him and he thought it was the shit. When the summer rolled about we weren't able to get together and I ended up finding the DotA Allstars website and managed to get pretty decent at it. I played online for a little while until high school when I got bored of playing. I tried playing HoN once, but it was a real kick in the teeth and didn't have any sort of balance between heroes.

So Dota 2 shows up on radar and I got real excited. Func_door ended up finding a very young wiki by random Google searches, and he and I managed to add a lot of information and generally spruce it up. Some time around October, IceFrog showed up in our IRC and handed out keys to the major editors, and we ran a contest a couple of weeks later. I've been playing a few games a week, though much more after they started sending out waves of invites.

There's my history, now a little about everything else: Dota 2's niche is to be Dota 2.0. There are still millions of players playing DotA, and a lot of them refuse to play HoN for the same reason as me. HoN started as Dota 2.0, but S2 evolved it to be a terrible thing. Because there's no cast or turn animations, and because of some abilities and items have been completely changed, it's not unexpected to be one-shot. And that's a big thing. Even Tiny, who can deal over 1000 points of damage in seconds, doesn't regularly one-shot enemies, but his HoN equivalent eats supports for breakfast. There's a lot of issues with it, and when Dota 2 goes public, odds are a lot of its playerbase is going to roll over to Valve.

Valve's interest in DotA is, "we like DotA, what if we made it better?" They want to make a new IP, might as well make one they like. Okay, that's not the best way to use their money, but what I've seen has been generally positive so thumbs up for that. Why are they making this when there are so many other games like it? Because Valve thinks they can do it better. Why would you make another gritty war shooter? Why would you keep making open world GTA clones? Imagine four games on the edge of a cliff. Dota 2 works the same way.

Trotim - there were a ton of awesome maps out there for Warcraft 3, and fuck yes I loved Tech Wars too. DotA's popularity is tied a lot to luck, and the fact that a bunch of mappers grabbed it up and added new heroes and items to it. Allstars, which combined the best additions, got grabbed up and somehow became extremely competitive, especially when IceFrog took over. He ended up rebalancing a lot of problems, and paid a lot of attention to how the game was played. Because of the balance and attention he gave DotA, it grew and for some reason tipped. LoL took DotA and took it in its own direction, HoN tried to improve on it and ended up crashing and burning, and Dota 2 is trying to go 1:1, copying out DotA while fixing the engine issues.

Last edited:

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I really want to start playing DoTA2. Thing is, I'm a LoL player now, and considering how much you guys in this thread criticize DoTA for being hard to learn, I'm surprised less of you give LoL a chance.

Nerdboy is right to say LoL is a different experience from DoTA. However, I feel like LoL is to DoTA what TF2 is to TF Classic. LoL is a streamlined version of the designs in DoTA, and it's easier to understand while still offering the same level of competitive gameplay. If you're looking at DoTA 1, HoN, and LoL (which I've all played), I really think they all have the same depth of strategy, but LoL is the one in a nicer package that's easier to learn. Of those 3 games, I believe LoL is definitive experience.

It's strange because if LoL didn't exist, the product I would imagine Valve making with DoTA2 would be something very much like LoL. Which puts Valve in a strange position of making a LoL competitor that has to evolve DoTA, but not to the extent LoL did. When Valve usually makes a new game, they have that high-ground as the smarter, more cool developer that has the edge over its competitors. But this is probably the first time where I don't think that's the case - I think Riot already did that with LoL. It's like Riot is Valve.

That being said, this all makes me that much more interested to see what Valve has done with DoTA 2. But I dunno, I can't imagine it replacing LoL for me. It would have to really impress me.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I've played a few games of LoL, but like I said, it didn't feel the same as DotA. A lot of the changes do make it a lot more streamlined, but it also lowers the skill ceiling a lot and takes some elements out of your control.

For example, the laning phase of DotA is very tense and engaged, probably the highest skill point of DotA. You have to be on your toes for incoming enemies, while also using your reflexes to last hit, deny, and harass. If you're ganking, you need to be stealthy enough to stop an enemy from running back, and then take them out before they can get away. If you're getting ganked, you have to work fast to either turn things around, run out of there, or die and lose some of your farm. In LoL, the laning phase is a lot more relaxed. You can't deny, so there's a lot less concern about last hitting and harassment. If you're getting ganked and manage to get back to your tower, even with like 50 HP left, you're pretty much safe. Tower diving happens a lot less and it's harder to make big plays until the game comes into full.

I wasn't that engaged by LoL because it felt like I didn't have enough impact. In DotA, you can tell when you're winning or losing, and comebacks are difficult but so rewarding. In LoL, you can make a lot of mistakes, but it's difficult to say what the outcome of the game might be. Unless you're so down on levels and equipment that you can get 1v5'd, comebacks are a lot easier, but I feel like they're more an expected part of gameplay than something really interesting. It's basically comparing Chess to Bughouse. Chess is very skill oriented and one mistake could cost you the game, and Bughouse borrows on that to deliver a similar experience that's more forgiving yet still fun on its own.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
If they wanted to make a new IP they should have scrapped the dumb, awkward DOTA moniker, at the minimal cost of losing that instant brand recognition (hell they couldve given it a subtitle to have the same effect)

Anyway I got a dota 2 key about a week after applying for one. Apparently saying I suck at the fucking genre (I do) got me in fast

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I've played a few games of LoL, but like I said, it didn't feel the same as DotA. A lot of the changes do make it a lot more streamlined, but it also lowers the skill ceiling a lot and takes some elements out of your control.

For example, the laning phase of DotA is very tense and engaged, probably the highest skill point of DotA. You have to be on your toes for incoming enemies, while also using your reflexes to last hit, deny, and harass. If you're ganking, you need to be stealthy enough to stop an enemy from running back, and then take them out before they can get away. If you're getting ganked, you have to work fast to either turn things around, run out of there, or die and lose some of your farm. In LoL, the laning phase is a lot more relaxed. You can't deny, so there's a lot less concern about last hitting and harassment. If you're getting ganked and manage to get back to your tower, even with like 50 HP left, you're pretty much safe. Tower diving happens a lot less and it's harder to make big plays until the game comes into full.

I wasn't that engaged by LoL because it felt like I didn't have enough impact. In DotA, you can tell when you're winning or losing, and comebacks are difficult but so rewarding. In LoL, you can make a lot of mistakes, but it's difficult to say what the outcome of the game might be. Unless you're so down on levels and equipment that you can get 1v5'd, comebacks are a lot easier, but I feel like they're more an expected part of gameplay than something really interesting. It's basically comparing Chess to Bughouse. Chess is very skill oriented and one mistake could cost you the game, and Bughouse borrows on that to deliver a similar experience that's more forgiving yet still fun on its own.

I guess that's the difference between low rank LoL and high. Laning is anything but relaxed in my matches and what you described of DoTA in the 2nd paragraph is what I'd say about LoL.

It's hard to judge these games without sinking some serious hours into them. Part of the problem, really. Hard to talk about one when some of your friends play the other.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
If they wanted to make a new IP they should have scrapped the dumb, awkward DOTA moniker, at the minimal cost of losing that instant brand recognition (hell they couldve given it a subtitle to have the same effect)

Well I mean, why not? Eul and IceFrog both work at Valve.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
OK so here's my 1 game review. I've won about 100 games in LoL so that's the framework. Feel free to repudiate anything I say (I'm sure some stuff would be fixed if I just kept playing the damn game)

First off, the region selector. The buttons say INACTIVE as default, which made me think all of those servers are down. Then when I click the PLAY button it tells me to pick a region??? Why is this prompt huge and empty, when it could just give me the buttons right there and then, in addition to their current location? Transparency when finding players is nice though, with the search scope bar and all. But why load before characters are chosen? What if someone's fav is picked and they're douche enough to drop? At least in LoL this happens before the game starts.

Speaking of characters, I don't have the wisdom of having played a lot of DOTA, but why have diff characters for each team- doesn't this inherently imbalance matches? I mean, in draft LoL there aren't more than one of each hero out on the field ever, but they're not teambound either so you're not screwed out of your fav champ by being on the wrong team. The characters themselves are very well designed aesthetically, but why refer to some characters by their names, and others by their titles? (Lina vs Sand King, who apparently has a name according to his flavor texts. Also, seriously? Still have an anime character in the damn game? Just rename her christ) I like the mana reminders on the large skill buttons. The hp/mana regen notifiers are great, too. Having to regain your mana on respawn by waiting is not(despite adding some insignificantly small gameplay choice, it's just fucking annoying). Buying respawn back is a good idea for late game, but death itself is handled poorly. No death stats like in LoL to help you learn/understand what happened. No darkened screen so you can immediately tell you're out of action. Respawn timer hard to find in the HUD. No notice of assists on kills is frustratingly unrewarding.

The game is dark(albeit adjustable)and the character models proportionate, so that when the minions crowd together they're hard to pick out individually. The jungle is unreadable due to darkness issues and complicated tree structures. GUI is horribly overcomplicated, like a Pokemon game backpack nightmare. Different attacks are so much easier to comprehend in LoL, even when you don't know an opponent completely- at least that's how I felt, as LoL provides layed-over radius indicators, etc. even of enemy attacks.

Last-hitting is ruthlessly strict. This is compounded by the fact that when I hold right click to command my champ to move to a spot, once they reach that spot my instruction is void- they'll turn right around if there's a minion in targetable range. So annoying.

What purpose do the extra buildings around the nexus serve? They're certainly not big enough roadblocks to minion waves. Get them out of here. I don't understand asymmetric lanes enough to be able to critique them, but my initial reaction is "dumb." LoL does tower targeting better with its laser sight.

The store is maybe the worst part. What's the point of recipes over combination costs? Why aren't prices adjusted to account for component items you already own? What the fuck hierarchy decided the tabs in the store, and why is buying (finally figured out it's simply right click) obfuscated by the ability to drag and drop items into the 'quick buy' queue? The customizable panel showing favorite items or whatever is a good touch. The stat system is confusing - there are modifiers of components of the 3 stats (damage, or attack speed I guess, or mana) but also modifiers of the 3 stats. LoL had it right by breaking it down to the simplest components possible (still could use better indication of spell vamp/ lifesteal/ armor and magic pen) Both LoL and DOTA fail at letting you move with the store panel active. What harm would there be in allowing that?

I didn't play enough to get a grasp of how the leaving punishment works, or whether there's even a surrender option.

That's about all I have for impressions now. I didn't have fun, not sure if you're supposed to the first time you play. But I definitely felt that it had more barriers to learning than LoL did when I started playing it.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
OK so here's my 1 game review. I've won about 100 games in LoL so that's the framework. Feel free to repudiate anything I say (I'm sure some stuff would be fixed if I just kept playing the damn game)

First off, the region selector. The buttons say INACTIVE as default, which made me think all of those servers are down. Then when I click the PLAY button it tells me to pick a region??? Why is this prompt huge and empty, when it could just give me the buttons right there and then, in addition to their current location? Transparency when finding players is nice though, with the search scope bar and all. But why load before characters are chosen? What if someone's fav is picked and they're douche enough to drop? At least in LoL this happens before the game starts.

This is one of my complaints with the UI. The matchmaking selection needs to be more fluid, but your statement about loading before characters are chosen... confounds me. If someone's favorite hero is picked well shit I guess they pick someone else. Dota is about team composition and countering your opponents, not your favorite hero.

Speaking of characters, I don't have the wisdom of having played a lot of DOTA, but why have diff characters for each team- doesn't this inherently imbalance matches? I mean, in draft LoL there aren't more than one of each hero out on the field ever, but they're not teambound either so you're not screwed out of your fav champ by being on the wrong team.

Teams and picking have no correlation in matchmaking. Matchmaking uses All Pick mode, which means you can pick any hero. If you're on Radiant and you really want to play as Sand King, go ahead! It's more for organization than anything.

The characters themselves are very well designed aesthetically, but why refer to some characters by their names, and others by their titles? (Lina vs Sand King, who apparently has a name according to his flavor texts. Also, seriously? Still have an anime character in the damn game? Just rename her christ)

The names are chosen based on the most common name used in DotA, or if that's held by Blizzard for copyright reasons, then the title. Lina is used more often than Slayer, and Sand King is used more than Crix. The problem comes up for heroes like Nature's Prophet (Furion) or Skeleton King (Leoric), where their common name is owned by Blizzard.

I like the mana reminders on the large skill buttons. The hp/mana regen notifiers are great, too. Having to regain your mana on respawn by waiting is not(despite adding some insignificantly small gameplay choice, it's just fucking annoying). Buying respawn back is a good idea for late game, but death itself is handled poorly. No death stats like in LoL to help you learn/understand what happened. No darkened screen so you can immediately tell you're out of action. Respawn timer hard to find in the HUD. No notice of assists on kills is frustratingly unrewarding.

The game is dark(albeit adjustable)and the character models proportionate, so that when the minions crowd together they're hard to pick out individually. The jungle is unreadable due to darkness issues and complicated tree structures. GUI is horribly overcomplicated, like a Pokemon game backpack nightmare. Different attacks are so much easier to comprehend in LoL, even when you don't know an opponent completely- at least that's how I felt, as LoL provides layed-over radius indicators, etc. even of enemy attacks.

I didn't notice much darkness at all, and fine League to be a hell of a lot darker. The GUI is extremely problematic, but I've had an easy time picking out and understanding projectiles in Dota.

Last-hitting is ruthlessly strict. This is compounded by the fact that when I hold right click to command my champ to move to a spot, once they reach that spot my instruction is void- they'll turn right around if there's a minion in targetable range. So annoying.

Turn off auto-attack in options.

What purpose do the extra buildings around the nexus serve? They're certainly not big enough roadblocks to minion waves. Get them out of here. I don't understand asymmetric lanes enough to be able to critique them, but my initial reaction is "dumb." LoL does tower targeting better with its laser sight.

The extra buildings are buffers. When creeps break down the tier 3 towers and barracks, they don't immediately push the tier 4 towers until they've cleared out the other buildings. It puts more emphasis on controlling the middle lane.

The store is maybe the worst part. What's the point of recipes over combination costs? Why aren't prices adjusted to account for component items you already own? What the fuck hierarchy decided the tabs in the store, and why is buying (finally figured out it's simply right click) obfuscated by the ability to drag and drop items into the 'quick buy' queue? The customizable panel showing favorite items or whatever is a good touch. The stat system is confusing - there are modifiers of components of the 3 stats (damage, or attack speed I guess, or mana) but also modifiers of the 3 stats. LoL had it right by breaking it down to the simplest components possible (still could use better indication of spell vamp/ lifesteal/ armor and magic pen) Both LoL and DOTA fail at letting you move with the store panel active. What harm would there be in allowing that?

Recipes > Combination costs because you can buy the recipes earlier if you have the money.

Strength determines your health and health regeneration, Agility determines your attack speed and armor, and Intelligence determines your mana and mana regeneration. Improving your main attribute (it's highlighted in your statistics) will also add to your damage.

Also you can right click on the ground while in the shop to order your hero to do things.

I didn't play enough to get a grasp of how the leaving punishment works, or whether there's even a surrender option.

There's no concede option, but if you abandon a game early or leave a game for 5 minutes, you get an abandon, and the other players can leave freely. If you get so many abandons, you're placed into a low priority matchmaking pool, where other players will be matched into games before you.

That's about all I have for impressions now. I didn't have fun, not sure if you're supposed to the first time you play. But I definitely felt that it had more barriers to learning than LoL did when I started playing it.

Again, a lot of what you've said came from misunderstandings. LoL is not Dota, Dota is not LoL. It's like comparing, say, Modern Warfare 2 to Counter Strike Source. They're both war shooters, they both have a lot of weapons, they both have very competitive communities, but they're not the same game.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, I appreciate the clarifications, esp re: autoattack (though I don't necessarily want it /off/, just when I'm not holding down a command actively) My monitor is set low because my eyes were getting burnt due to work / at home computer usage (hence the acknowledgment that this adjustable) so I was just comparing its relative darkness to LoL as I've experienced it.

I get the other buildings' purposes as buffers but they don't appear to have the health or armor to stop creeps/enemies from knocking them down in more than a few (albeit sometimes precious) seconds. Why not just buff up the towers or something?

Still don't get the recipe thing. If you've got the recipe, what good does that do you?

Also, I like to play LoL with 4 friends if I'm able. If I wanted to do this in DOTA, I'd have to be a champion on my friends' team. I understand countering your opponents' choices, but still, why not allow any character on any team? For narrative's sake? If so, that's pretty weak in the face of doubling any given player's available pool to choose from. It also doesn't solve the problem of other, less morally-inclined players than yourself, who are so insistent on picking one champ that they may drop the game instead of choosing from the other team. It happens in LoL, and they have to wait 5 mins before they're back in the queue, but since nobody's loaded yet you get matched up immediately in a new room, with that guy replaced.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
So a played a bunch today with Freelance Fox giving me some help. Had a lot of fun. This is as opposed to my first games of HoN, which were abysmal, so that's good.

But yeah, it's complicated as fuck; I was hoping Valve would have toned down the learning curve a bit. I probably would have had significantly less fun if I wasn't with fox. Things that annoyed me the most were that they need a new shop interface. And dear god, controlling summoned minions is fucking terrible; YEAH LETS PUT RTS SELECTING CONTROLS BACK IN BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT DOTA 1 HAD LOLOLOLOLOL.

Best thing about it so far: spectating is absolutely amazing. If you haven't tried it, do so. Spectating high level matches to see how people play is great.

Overall, pretty happy with it so far.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Also, I like to play LoL with 4 friends if I'm able. If I wanted to do this in DOTA, I'd have to be a champion on my friends' team. I understand countering your opponents' choices, but still, why not allow any character on any team? For narrative's sake? If so, that's pretty weak in the face of doubling any given player's available pool to choose from. It also doesn't solve the problem of other, less morally-inclined players than yourself, who are so insistent on picking one champ that they may drop the game instead of choosing from the other team. It happens in LoL, and they have to wait 5 mins before they're back in the queue, but since nobody's loaded yet you get matched up immediately in a new room, with that guy replaced.

What are you even getting at? You're not restricted in your hero selections. You can play as the Dire or Radiant heroes on either team.

And Dota is not about favorite heroes. Nobody is going to leave because they don't get to be Phantom Lancer.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Damn it now I have to play this in addition to LoL. It's really good.

Hopefully Valve continues to add to the "Learn" section of the game, but in the meantime I've been finding a few resources really useful.

Site for hero guides (still incomplete, given how few people are playing): link

Good rundown of all the items: link