CTF diefenbunker

about 20 ninjas

L1: Registered
Feb 1, 2010
Deep within the Canadian Rocky Mountains lies a hidden bunker. A secret bunker. A Diefenbunker.

Red and Blu are battling for safety from the obviously-impending nuclear strike, and each team holds the other half of the bunkers operating instructions.

I haven't had anyone look at this yet (which means 0 testing), so if I can get some critique, maybe I can get it up for a playtest. It is completely functional at the moment, so if you're interested, you can download it and test.

Thanks to any and all feedback!

Last edited:

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
I knew exactly what this was going to be just by the name. My mother bought me a small book about the place when she visited there.

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Don't suffer the fate of junction, please.

about 20 ninjas

Feb 1, 2010
Might be huge. Doesn't seem like it to me, but that's just me. Like I said, its never had more than just myself in it. It also might be the excessively high FOV I had set...

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't really like CTF but I liked your map so here are some pictures and words:

This door is cool, but it makes the sound the doors in the menu make, when you choose teams:
d7PBe.jpg

I wouldn't make that raised. Also the noise in here is annoying
XXt23.jpg

Crazy bright and the shadows are so well defined, I dunno if this is really a problem but it seems odd
tlA1q.jpg

Why is there a huge death pit here
Z5rQq.jpg

There's a black thing spinning on this on Red's side. Also I found these odd.
xn5Kp.jpg

red props, also why doesnt blu have an annoying piston
ryUPI.jpg

scale this sign to .6 both ways and center it
LHp4w.jpg

overlap
SUEJI.jpg

health and ammo in these open spaces looks weird and will play weird
cyEki.jpg

about 20 ninjas

Feb 1, 2010
yyler, thanks a ton. That helps me a lot, since I obviously missed some things. I hadn't played it with sound (can't where I'm working at the moment) but I will promptly change those.

And with the death pit.... I know lots of people dont like them, but I personally enjoy the role they can play. But I suppose if I want to keep them, I should give them a purpose.

But thanks again, these are the things I overlook when I get too absorbed into it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's more the size of the death pit that irked me, if anything

I like death pits too, so long as they have a reason--I just can't think of why there is one there, let alone one that massive, you know?

Truthfully I think you should make the middle smaller to avoid layers of turtling (the issue I think ctf_well suffers from) which'd help tone down the amount of space eaten up by a death pit.

Maybe move it so there's just one, half per side.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
Looks like you have a ton of health and ammo right around mid (2 large, 2 medium of each). Too much ammo is probably not a huge problem, but if you have too much health it might become too easy for one team to completely take control of mid since they would have added survivability. If you look at other CTF maps you'll find that those for the most part are very sparse on the health and ammo around the middle of the map.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Actually, lots of ammo means it is easy for engineers to get set up and stay set up.

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Still looks quite nice, though it looks quite big, especially around the center and there are some weird health pack placements around the place. Still, it looks like you've eliminated the sniper battle problem that most CTF maps have, well done. I'd love to see how this plays.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Looks like it has potential... one thing is for sure though, you better not use those split glows on those fluorescent light bulbs! Better download that like pack and copy the good ones from there! =P

about 20 ninjas

Feb 1, 2010
My neck and back are killin' me, so I'm off for some needed sleep. This is what I came up with for the centre:

- closer together
- better flow from one side to the other
- slightly better health and ammo pickups
- no more death pit
- now there is a wicked elevator shaft

I haven't uploaded the new .BSP yet, because I'm awfully exhausted. Plus, I missed a thing or two now that I checked...

But some feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Lookin' better indeed, the only thing I think that could make it better as of right now, is by adding some type of cover on the walkway going into the shaft. Something on the sides for sniper cover a bit, maybe some of centered stacked crates or those aluminum wall barriers.