[DEATHSTAR SIZED SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens Megathread

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Ten minutes later he hops in a tie fighter and blows up thirty of those comrades with no respect for their lives whatsoever.

Because they have no respect for his, or anyones. He is the one. He is branded as a traitor to all First Order soldiers, to be killed with high regard. He realises that the first order is not his place. If he had of gone down, no one would have comforted him. He decided to not fight for the First Order. Doesn't mean he won't fight against the First Order.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think the moment was posed as unreasonably comic - it got a big laugh in the cinema. It could have been done, I think, but I think it was pitched for humor a bit too much. Uncuepa described it as slapstick and i agree.
When viewed next to the humour forced into the prequels like the entire C3PO battledroid gag that was terrible when it started, lasted a full 20 or so minutes and only got worse as it progressed, the new SW humour is fantastic.

I went to the film wanting to have a good time, and the laughter only helped that. It was serious when it needed to be and it was funny when it could afford it.

As far as Finn's sudden change of heart about killing, I suspect people are quite capable of turning on their oppressors in an instant and it didn't really feel that odd to me

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
C3P0 was underused, which is the correct way to use him.

I took the destruction of the senate and Corruscant as a not-exactly-subtle middle finger to the prequels.

Interesting thing I noticed about R2D2 suddenly waking up. When it happened, I thought "Oh hell, Luke's here," but then he wasn't...so I thought instead, "well, that seemed a little deus ex, why didn't he wake up earlier?" Then it dawned on me... that was the first time Rey was in the same area as R2D2.

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Never said that they fucked, just that Max likes him. Just because I called Daisy Ridley my girlfriend doesn't mean she is that.

Sorry, I know, that was just a horrible joke. I was totally fine with Max (or Marz?).

EDIT:
Also it was mostly (if not only) the part where they had to blow the new deathstar up (and subsequently do) that i felt was too close to A New Hope. I wished they had put a little twist on it.
It totally wasn't something that broke the movie tho, since Star Wars have always "just" been a fun space adventure where the plot never really were that important, but rather the adventure, charachters and their moments etc.
And in that regard, I believe it nalied the formula pretty well.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Interesting thing I noticed about R2D2 suddenly waking up. When it happened, I thought "Oh hell, Luke's here," but then he wasn't...so I thought instead, "well, that seemed a little deus ex, why didn't he wake up earlier?" Then it dawned on me... that was the first time Rey was in the same area as R2D2.

I've seen several people say the same thing about Rey waking up R2. AS IF IT WASN'T ALREADY OBVIOUS ENOUGH THAT REY IS LUKE'S DAUGHTER

Though, due to the fact her being Luke's daughter and this film being all about Han's son, and how that just sucks ballbags... I'd be happy if she was simply one of the kids that Luke was training and R2 was waking up because of her force presence or something.

@Di Gorgonzola Maz is the official spelling Maz Katana.

The feeling I got from that short exchange was that she might be overly fond of Chewie but not in a relationship. I dunno, it was only 2 lines. Could go either way and I'd be happy either way, but I'm definitely looking forward to Rey and Chewie's new partnership.

Also they blew up 5 planets, all within eyesight range of the planet the rebellion is on but DIDN'T blow that one up? Convenient much?

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
That doesn't really answer it. Why didn't they pick up BB-8, then torch the planet, rather than zapping a bunch of secondary targets and then having to twiddle their thumbs while under attack until they can kill the people they actually care about?

Also Ren wasn't on the planet when they torched the republic, right? And then they were perfectly willing to zap it later: BB8, map, and all - this was specifically after they knew they couldn't get the map from Rey.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Kylo was on his way to landing and that wasn't the planet with the resistance base. Blowing up the governing force with the starfleet is a better idea than blowing up a worthless planet just because. I can understand the "get bb8 and THEN blow it up" but again, the planet had no strategic reason to be blown up. Only BB8.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
a) when did they tell us this was the governing force and the starfleet?

They targeted the Republic. The Republic has a starfleet. Leia says this in the movie.

b) they knew they didn't have a map

Who didn't have which map.

c) they had multiple shots. Was the resistance really, what, their septenary target?

Yep, because the first order expected to have the map to Luke Skywalker. They never counted on Kylo instead taking a force sensitive, and then letting her escape into their facility. And then have a rescue party also make their superweapon vulnerable before they could destroy the resistance.

Also again the resistance was in a different star system to the republic capital. The weapon targets star systems.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
Well that was an interesting movie.
I really liked it through, but I still have few problems with the movie.
  • How did Poe survive? (Yeah I'm glad he survived, but how?)
  • They reused lot of music from the other films (That felt really lazy.
  • That casm that appeared between Rey and Kylo was little too convinient.
  • The beginning hit almost all story notes from new hopes beginning.
Other than that the movie was pretty spectacular.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Poe flew away?
Yeah, but in what? It's unanswered, and we can reasonably assume he found some sort of transport, but his X-Wing was toast and the TIE fighter was toast, so we don't know.

TyeZenneth

May 31, 2014
Oh at the start? Yeah, probably did the same thing Finn did. Walked until he found a town, asked for transport.
The thing that gets me is how fast he had to have gotten back to the rebel base, seeing as he recuperated enough to hop into an X-Wing to go get BB-8 at Maz's place.
But I guess he didn't get held up by Han and Chewie and stuff.

TyeZenneth

May 31, 2014
Also, can I just say that I really fucking loved the mix of practical and CG in this film?
It was all really, really well-done, except for that one carrion bird that looked like it had two joints in it, tops.
But you only saw it for a total of five seconds.