Davekillerish's Youtube Forum

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Davekillerish, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    Why is there a black bar on the side of your video?

You are also very quiet, often times your game volume is over powering your voice. Try to speak up next time, or turn down the volume of your game in the settings or in post editing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    I used OBS to record, and I dont know how to full screen the game.

Also, My voice and the game audio are separate as this wasn't a live recording, audacity made the audio a little more quiet, and I turned down the game volume to compensate.

4. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have a Mac or an ATI GPU? ShadowPlay is simply the best screen recorder for PC's with a compatible GPU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    Can an admin edit the title of this post to say:
    "Davekillerish's Youtube Forum"

6. SC PL

aa SC PL local shitposter

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Grizzly Berry

aa Grizzly Berry

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not a huge fan of introduction videos, because they usually talk about what you're going to do instead of just doing it.

As mentioned by NickTF, try and figure out how to get rid of those black bars around your videos. People are much more likely to stick around if the audio/video quality is on point. However, even with perfect audio/video, it won't matter if your videos don't retain your audience's attention. It's important to keep the video moving along and make sure everything has a purpose. There was a big chunk in the middle where you weren't talking and I wasn't sure what the point of it all was. If they're supposed to be funny clips, make sure you enforce that with some silly music or graphics.

Another thing you can do to keep the viewer around is to amp up the energy. Your voice sounds a little dead and unenthusiastic. This is something that will come with time, but just be aware of it when recording. You don't need to sound like someone working for Disney, but make it sound like you're more interested in what you're talking about.

If you want to get better, just keep making videos. It's just like anything else, it takes practice.

Edit: Oh, and be yourself! That's a big one too.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would say OBS is simply the best if you once go through settings

9. CriminalBunny

aa CriminalBunny Lasers are just deadly rainbows

Positive Ratings:
    You're really proud of that orange username don't you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Beef Bucket

aa Beef Bucket L41: Blessed Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bonus Tip: Work on that Thumbnail

Impact is the Hitler of typefaces. Go to Fontsquirrel.com and pick out literally anything else. A few I would recommend are:
    I would also recommend going to Subtlepatterns.com and finding a texture to use as a background instead of flat black. If you can't find any dark textures you like you can download a light texture and invert its value

Finally instead of coloring the text straight white and straight yellow consider coloring it light grey and yellow-orange
    My favorite yellow color is RBG 255, 193, 7

Here is a thing I whipped up

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  11. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Not in my experience. ShadowPlay has the least performance hit, best quality, smallest file size, and is the easiest to use. It beats everything IMO thanks to it integrating with the GPU.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  13. Beef Bucket

aa Beef Bucket L41: Blessed Member

Positive Ratings:
    OK, so that asphalt texture appears as straight black when shrunk down, now we know

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Grizzly Berry

aa Grizzly Berry

Positive Ratings:
    I'm assuming you know what you want to make, so make that. Don't ask us if what you're making is good. It's important for you to create on your own and find your style. Compare it to mapping. Some people push out reiteration after reiteration doing what people ask for, but what people ask for isn't always what's best for the map. Same thing here. Do what you want to do. What we like shouldn't matter.

However, there is definitely a standard for audio/video quality and it's important for you to keep that as high as possible. In-game voice chat is horrendous. Use Discord or Mumble if you plan on doing more videos with a group like this. Also figure out those black bars asap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    I understand why you felt the need to make the first point, but I wasnt really asking if the content itself was good, because thats oppinionated, it was mainly the overall combination of the actual content, my voice usage and what not, and the audio/video.

I do appreciate your advice though.

16. Pixenal

Pixenal L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    What resolution is the video at? Because it looks like its at 1024x768, if so, maybe try bumping it up to 1366x768, that may help.

17. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:

18. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
  19. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    Congrats on hitting this milestone, you are one step closer to that diamond play button!

Suggestion: Never use Comic Sans, it looks fairly ugly, and the amount of jokes and memes about it on the internet right now is bound for disaster for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    What font should I use then xD Ive tried robotic and normal fonts.