cp_egypt + cp_fastlane update!

Stupoider

L1: Registered
Feb 8, 2009
Hello folks! My first post here, I've been a long time lurker (I love the tutorials!) and thought I'd express how I feel about the latest update announcement.

I haven't had the liberty to play cp_egypt, but I like the change of environment! Sure, it might just be a different shade of sand, but including more environments is a good thing, although I would've preferred a dustbowl-esque map containing an alpine environment.

I've only played cp_fastlane once or twice, and both times I enjoyed playing. I didn't see anything worth changing (yep, I didn't play the map that long either) so an update is also a positive change.

Everything before that announcement made me happy, and I'm really hoping Valve bundles a Meet The Spy/Pyro/Medic into the package. :>

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
What else? Desert maybe?

The art style is based off of the art style of a certain artist around the 1920's (I think). I don't remember the exact year, but TF2 is not just cel-shaded cartooniness. It is based off of a specific art style, including distinct sillhouettes, light tones getting darker as you move down (look at all of the character models), and specific architecture of that era. I don't remember the exact quote, but I think this is in one of VALVe's slideshows

bomc

L2: Junior Member
Sep 25, 2008
cp_egypt is a good map, and just because it isnt alpine or desert (well it is kinda desert), it doesnt mean that it doesnt fit the tf2-style. The characters doesnt look out of place, like they would if it was a hl2 map.

Besides that, fastlane needed to be updated, and many people were complaning about it, wich is why they made it "big news"

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Besides that, fastlane needed to be updated, and many people were complaning about it, wich is why they made it "big news"
Exactly. With scout being 7th in play time, disliking area and having not played egypt or junction the fastlane news is the most exciting part of it all for me! :p

Lazer B.

Jan 10, 2009
I'm guessing because Valve added it into the update, they must have given their thumbs up on the map. I personally think it is appropriate to the original TF2 graphics, though its setting is different.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
just to clarify myself, I am not saying that egypt does or doesn't fit the TF2 art style. I just brought up the specific art style because someone said TF2 is just "cartoony"

I could care less about Egypt, it's a community map, so I don't think it necessarily needs to fit the style.

ClydeJr

Oct 30, 2008
For any of the previous community maps that have been released, has Valve made any significant changes to the map before it was released?

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
For any of the previous community maps that have been released, has Valve made any significant changes to the map before it was released?

I don't think Valve has, but I think they probably ask the mapper to update it significantly so that it is highly polished.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think VALVe does any changing at all. I believe it's all up to the mapper. Perhaps because it is still the mapper's property, perhaps the mapper gets to keep the .vmf privately.

Turbine didn't get any changes at all. (not that it needed any :D)

Fastlane got minor changes, like an extra ramp or two, and difrerent pickup locations. Fastlane was a fairly new map when it got picked.

Steel was nearing it's final release. Most likely VALVe approached fishbus before he could release the final, which is also probably why instead of releasing a final, he went on to create the best map ever, Freight. Steel had lots of changes from B4 to FINAL, from lighting, performance, layout, and balance.

The fastlane update was probably directed or even made entirely by the mapper himself.

I forgot where he said this, but according to Fishbus, Valve implied that any updates to the maps were entirely up to the mapper.

Since heyo is still an active member in the community we can expect that he knows the flaws in his map and will attempt to correct them for the official update.

Last edited: