Cosplay

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cosplay can be cool if it's done well. I wouldn't ever do it myself out of laziness, and walking around a con all day in a costume sounds pretty miserable, especially in the summer.

2njwub7.jpg

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
<stupidhumor> Cosplaying like that means a lot of beans to pass all that wind. </stupidhumor>

I like the idea of making a cool costume for something or other, but I never get around to it. Last year I happened to be passing through the Seattle Convention center (for totally unrelated purposes) and found out once I was there that it was the Sakuracon weekend... I just stopped and took a lot of pictures with my sisters (who were thrilled, especially by Totoro references) and then mocked the incredible oversupply of Akatsuki members.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
...So for people who are a bit of attention whores like myself it is a good way to get that sort of attention...

One whom has admitted to being female on the internet can be little other than an attention whore.

:glare:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
One whom has admitted to being female on the internet can be little other than an attention whore.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8DIg3oHFI"]YouTube- Monty Python-Witch[/ame]

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009

That isnt true. The only reason why admitting yourself to be a woman can be seen that way is there are too many people who just don't think that women are really on the internet, so they make a big deal out of it whenever they encounter one. Really I find the whole thing kinda dumb! I mean, why should it be a big deal when OMG someone's voice is different when they use voice chat. Pisses me off with some of the reactions I occasionally get. :/

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
That isnt true. The only reason why admitting yourself to be a woman can be seen that way is there are too many people who just don't think that women are really on the internet, so they make a big deal out of it whenever they encounter one. Really I find the whole thing kinda dumb! I mean, why should it be a big deal when OMG someone's voice is different when they use voice chat. Pisses me off with some of the reactions I occasionally get. :/

OMG GIRL

It's fun being something you aren't.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I've been pondering and attempting to apply pop-psychology to this "there are no girls on teh intarwebz" category of reactions. (Disclosure: I am an adult male.)

Given the difficulties verifying another person for gender/hawtness, it's easier to say "girls don't exist here" and continue a gender-neutral discussion. Nobody has an opportunity to cackle "Surprise!" or mock anybody else for gullibility, desperation, etc. On one level, it's a triumph of feminism in that with minimal effort you will be treated the same as a guy in almost all topics of conversation.

On the flip side: "Someone who might understand my areas of interest instead of shoe shopping and teen soap operas?" is a powerful lure.

And of course we're on the continuing trend of the internet away from techies and towards popular consumption. So certain geeky segments of the population have to deal with the fact that the same mechanisms leading to more girls also lead to more superficial jocks. (Related to this piece of rage.)

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
I will definitely agree that it is easier to say that girls don't exist, but I dont agree with the fact that you say that it is gender neutral. From all of my experiences, one is always assumed to be male, not without gender. In particular, I am thinking of when using voice chat, when someone hears a higher pitched voice, there are a good number of people who assume young boy, as opposed to female.

Now if it actually were gender neutral I would agree with it being a good step of feminism, however, since it is assumed male, such progress is not present. Though for people who hide their gender it is an easy place to be heard on equal footing.

Personally I dont think that what leads to more girls will also lead to more superficial jocks. I am pretty certain that what those two groups enjoy tend to be different, and not necessarily part of the nerdier sections of the internet. In particular, I think most online gaming especially competitive gaming tends to be pretty exclusive of both categories.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IMO voice is a special case versus forums and e-mail. The assumption that everyone else is male is in many ways unavoidable: Assuming everyone is female would not be particularly more egalitarian, and humans aren't wired to think of everyone as genderless AI constructs. (And let us warily recognize that even among self-described feminists that are some significant generational schisms.)

What I mean to say is that the increasing use of the internet and games (in which I include more "casual" games) among the broader population brings in "Non-geeks" from a variety of different groups. At that same time it prises open the introvert's online space to dissimilar people, it also removes a good chunk of what made it appealing in terms of escapism and meeting society on your own terms. (Witness the "cyberbullying" stuff the media likes to lap up.)

Last edited:

Locutus

L2: Junior Member
Nov 3, 2009
I've been pondering and attempting to apply pop-psychology to this "there are no girls on teh intarwebz" category of reactions. (Disclosure: I am an adult male.)

Given the difficulties verifying another person for gender/hawtness, it's easier to say "girls don't exist here" and continue a gender-neutral discussion. Nobody has an opportunity to cackle "Surprise!" or mock anybody else for gullibility, desperation, etc. On one level, it's a triumph of feminism in that with minimal effort you will be treated the same as a guy in almost all topics of conversation.

On the flip side: "Someone who might understand my areas of interest instead of shoe shopping and teen soap operas?" is a powerful lure.

And of course we're on the continuing trend of the internet away from techies and towards popular consumption. So certain geeky segments of the population have to deal with the fact that the same mechanisms leading to more girls also lead to more superficial jocks. (Related to this piece of rage.)

A whole nother place and thread (and time?)

Anywho, I just use the "No girls on the internets" to get a rise out of people in TF2 servers. Usually it goes "Hurr she's obviously a girl" and my counter-argument is "Sounds like a pre-pubescent boy to me."

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm Pagan, so it's like celebrating Halloween twice.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Didn't mean to participate in derailing anything, it just seemed like the cosplay angle was winding down.

If I could snap my fingers and have all the tools and time and skill to make a costume, I'd probably choose some form of armor suit, since even if nobody knows exactly who you are they're timelessly cool. (With the possible exception of the Predator fishnet :eek:)

Probably some variation of Mjolnir armor from Halo, although I don't consider myself a Halo fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. (I want to play 3 to find out what happens, but I'm stickin' with mah PC!)

Thinking of something feasible yet with a character I identify with, I found that this guy beat me to it with an extrapolation from vague book descriptions.

Last edited: