[contest entry] pl_flint

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm starting to wonder if it's still worth entering this in the competition.. I was hoping to be able to do this over Christmas but never had the chance due to 2 'surprise' projects from university *shakes fist*.

After handing in the first of the projects in last thursday i managed to complete the payload setup along with the general map settings and am currently setting up the gate system and spawns (which is all that is left, along with making sure the current basic lighting works). This hasn't been play tested once... god forbid. Once i hand in my last project this thursday i get a day to compile and make sure it actually works. I thought blitzing the essentials i had cheated death somewhat but now i see other's have managed to majorly detail their work, whilst my only details are down to a complete neglect of the dev process.

The only thing i've learnt other than the inevitability of how to set up a payload system is that i miss the days when:
A) I was unemployed.
B) Full time education was more like a part time inconvinience.
C) I had an insignificant social life.

I'm now undergoing the stresses of too many hobbies at once. I needn't bore you with more complaints about how i havn't had the time i've wanted to put into this project (Not the organiser's fualt).

I guess i can only hope that people enjoy my map when it's released 10 minutes before deadline, which is a really sad statment. I also feel like a right knob about this.

I'm afraid i've wasted your time with this post as a real visual update isn't coming out untill after the release of the first beta for the competition, when i finally enclose the map in a skybox. But as my map stands it's nearly "adequite". What a joke..

Is all i have to show are these two hammer shots of area's you've already seen that don't actually look like a crock of shit. I know how you guys love hammer shots and have come to expect them from me.

pota.jpg

potb.jpg

Sorry for the tone of the post guys, i'm just really having a moment here.

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
Hey chin up man! If you're biggest problem these days is that you're too busy making the most of life, that seems reasonably acceptable. :) School is obviously top priority and it's good to hear you understand that, so keep on truckin'! Everything has been looking fantastic though, and I'm sure the quality of work will speak for itself in the end. And even if things aren't totally smoothed out for the contest deadline, if you contribute another awesome payload map to the community that's what really matters right?

Keep digging, I'm sure the rest of the community shares my thoughts!

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks.. it sounds awefully self centred there, but i was more pee'd off about never being able to make deadlines for side projects in my life. That's what's awefully frustrating about this. I'm annoyed i wont get a tested version out let alone a finalised (or atleast near finalised) one like everyone else. So my map could be jugded on more even grounds. But that is part of the brief i suppose, everyone gets the same deadline.. even though others have had single staged payload maps in the works several months before the competition was even announced.

I really wanted to release something to impress because i know i can. D: I just don't give myself enough time between Uni, work, friends, the ska band and art commissions, and time to myself playing TF2 and WarHammer. My body feels like it's falling apart. :crying:

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Pace yourself. The great thing about this contest is that people are submitting incomplete maps (or finals if they have the time) and then later improving it.

Shadow Monkey

Super Monkey
Jun 7, 2008
It looks good....but I think the CPs are too far waway from the start....

And why do you have the TF2 playerclasses everywhere?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Classes are there temporarily for scaling. The distance is compensated by a small increase in the time limit. The cp's only look far from each other because my map's fairly narrow. I imagine spies might have some trouble on the central cp's.. pyro's might also have an easy time, along with sg's.

It's only a little longer (300 units?) longer than Badwater's first cp.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Seeing as the contest deadline is tonight this wont be entered into the competition as it isn't cordoned. I also have these issues to iron out:

Payload prop not moving with cart.
capping pount 1 also caps point 3. (No, it's not copy and pasted or told to do this in I/O)
capping point 2 also caps point 4. (No, it's not copy and pasted or told to do this in I/O)
There are actually 5 cp's. I didn't realise it was capped on the HUD as 4.
one way gates don't enable after respective points are capped.
all spawns get removed from the map on mapspawn because "they can't be found".

I have no idea why any of this is happening and.. it's frustrating. I'm out of town next week.. yea..

I don't think i'm gonna touch hammer for a while now, i've had enough of it for the moment. Trying to fix bugs in avante meant i ate into valuble payload competition time and i've left myself in this situation.

I'm frustrated enough to want to drop the map and start fresh, but i've put so much effert into it and for the most part the geometry's fine.

I'm not sure what to do.