Who's is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
...spent the past hour on this...

I am pulling an executive decision here to close the poll early (by about a day and a half).

TeamNightHawk's vote count more than doubled today, and upon inspection of the voters I found many were very new registrations. Further inspection revealed some of these in Lord Ned's vote count, rising even as I searched for answers.

I question the legitimacy of these votes, if the users even took a look at all the entries or if they simply registered and voted (I'm not going to speculate on reasons/causes).
Being this is quite an abnormal happening, I made the decisions to, in the interest of fairness of competition, discard all votes by users registered on September 8th or 9th.

This removes:
sixteen votes from TeamNightHawk, putting his total at eleven
seven votes from Lord Ned, putting his total at twenty-five
no other contestants were found to have votes from users registered on the 8th or 9th.

This leaves two contestants with a significant lead:
Lord Ned with twenty-five votes
eerieone with twenty-three votes

As per previous policy this will result in a final vote between the two, giving a chance for the all people who did not vote for them (around two-thirds of all votes) to reallot their vote to the finalists.

I will leave the posting and duration of the finalist vote up to the contest moderator, zpqrei.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I would like to call into question the votes swamp_teamnhk has received, so far of his 27 votes, 19 are people who registered just today, doesn't it seem a bit odd? maybe in the future, only members who have more then say 50 posts can vote? I hate stat padding and this is a prime example, I'm sure the admins will look further into this ordeal.

I agree very much with this, even though you are new as well. Welcome :).

Thingy Person

L1: Registered
Sep 6, 2009
I question the legitimacy of these votes, if the users even took a look at all the entries or if they simply registered and voted (I'm not going to speculate on reasons/causes).

I myself have been lurking here and just now made the effort to register. Though I didn't go through all of them, I did cover the majority, including the biggest contenders.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
You can still vote in the new thread! [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9461"]Showdown for swamp contest. - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

Sgt.Sausage

Dec 5, 2008
I joined 03-08-2009 :bored:,

I'm far from new :> I just choose not to talk on the forums all the time. :O

Ah well i hope you get more active. I understand i was here quite awhile before i started posting. :p

TheBigD

Aug 14, 2009
I'm friends with NightHawk and I encouraged other friends of his to vote. It is very upsetting to me that his integrity has been called into question. There were no (hopefully) fictitious votes. If TF2maps.net would like to limit voting to the prestigious select few, that is fine, but this particular vote was open for all registrants. So, it became a little of a political popularity contest. That doesn't make it unfair and it certainly is not cheating. To sum up: I think your decision was incorrect.

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
I'm friends with NightHawk and I encouraged other friends of his to vote. It is very upsetting to me that his integrity has been called into question. There were no (hopefully) fictitious votes. If TF2maps.net would like to limit voting to the prestigious select few, that is fine, but this particular vote was open for all registrants. So, it became a little of a political popularity contest. That doesn't make it unfair and it certainly is not cheating. To sum up: I think your decision was incorrect.

Sorry but i don't see where you think it's okay to register 20ish new accounts just to vote for your friend

Your intent on voting was because he is your friend, not because his entry was the best in your opinion

TheBigD

Aug 14, 2009
All the people who registered are part of the TF2 community and enjoy custom maps and themes. No one coerced random people. No one (especially Nighthawk) stood over anybody s keyboard and instructed them. I still do not see the problem with letting people know about the contest after which they register and vote. Every vote doesn't have to be non-biased. All the votes are legitimate in accordance with the rules as they were stated when the contest began. There was no talk of eligibility. No requirement for diligent evaluation of every entry. This is a case of after the fact revisionism.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008

Also...just saying, but I doubt his integrity is being questioned

this post [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=104206&postcount=5"]TF2Maps.net - View Single Post - A public statement and explanation of what I did with the contest.[/ame] seems sincere at least to me

All the people who registered are part of the TF2 community and enjoy custom maps and themes. No one coerced random people. No one (especially Nighthawk) stood over anybody s keyboard and instructed them. I still do not see the problem with letting people know about the contest after which they register and vote. Every vote doesn't have to be non-biased. All the votes are legitimate in accordance with the rules as they were stated when the contest began. There was no talk of eligibility. No requirement for diligent evaluation of every entry. This is a case of after the fact revisionism.

Answer this then, do you truly believe that every one of these new users who voted actually went and viewed every submission and voted according to their perceived preferences?

Last edited:

TheBigD

Aug 14, 2009

Answer this then, do you truly believe that every one of these new users who voted actually went and viewed every submission and voted according to their perceived preferences?

I do not in the slightest believe that every one of the new users who voted even viewed the selection!! (I viewed most of them, about 30ish) And I see the communities point. My primary concern is that NightHawk or his friends were going to be perceived as cheating and fake voting. I'm glad that that is not the case.

Thank you to Boojum Snark for giving a thought out, logical argument in response in his public statement. It is rare (not from him! Just in forums in general) and appreciated. I agree that in the future votes of this nature should be limited on some basis of community involvement. People that give well thought out, unbiased votes are called judges and that won't happen if the vote is too open as evidenced here.

This was just a case of overzealous friends trying to be supportive. I hope I'm so lucky one day. Please, no hard feelings?

That's all, I'll stop now and go back to making graphics and gaming. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
I looked at them all, what's so hard about it that you can't do it yourself? You might have missed an underrated detail scene that you would have rather voted for.

MrTwoVideoCards

Aug 27, 2008
They all sucked compared to lord Ned's and errie's.

:dealwithit:
3916546227_99556c61eb_o.png