Contest #4 Prelim results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I was expecting judges who have lots of comp experience, people who actually analyze maps to come up with better strategies, teams who can see immediately what pros/cons there are in the layout.

I haven't really read the discussion but as I understand it, the comp panel "we" recruited aren't actually as competitive as I expected?

aww... :/

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It is when a person knows what's happening behind the scenes but can't give details, and other people keep jumping to wrong conclusions. Saying "you're wrong" is the best he can do, while saying nothing and letting someone believe the wrong things is the worst.

That's not even the point Shmitz. I'm talking about how he talks to people. Not only is he condescending towards anyone without community influence, but he makes sarcastic comments all over the forums that would and have gotten other members bans. I just don't get why people put up with it. Flame and his attitude is a running joke in the chat and the active members only put up with his crap because he is actually helpful when push comes to shove. But nothing excuses an individual that consistantly kicks dirt in the faces of others.

Despite what this post may imply i don't hate flame and i respect how helpful he has been to the community. But nothing excuses an individual from treating the community members like crap. You wouldn't accept it from an admin and you wouldn't accept it from a normal TF2maps member. Yet when Flame makes jokes or remarks at the expense of other members he gets a pat on the back.

Last edited:

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
like crap? I get attacked, I don't do the attacking.

muffin jumped down my throat. I've had it to here (points really high up) with the div6 lying judges wasting my time. I havent spoken bad about anyone, and ive been diligently working on judging the maps for the contest since it's my job. I just feel as if the other guys arent as valuable as I am nor do I think theyre on par with me skillwise and map knowledge wise to be getting equal say in the outcome of the ctf contest.

Sorry for defending myself and having friends in this community to thank me, but really. I wouldnt say I talk down to anyone, I just voice my opinion aggressively.

getoffmyback

edit:
supersandvich: flame uve been a bad boy and need to respect our friendly members they are good christians

Nov 14, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with Grazr. Although Flame usually has good things to say, he says so in such bullish and rude ways, no one would want to listen.

I don't mean this to be a personal attack, but I have always found Flame's posts quite rude, however to the point they may be. They are just not nice, like Grazr said.

Anyways, I think we need someone with real influence, like ID, or YM to step in and tell us what the whole deal is with the judges.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
No, grazr, everything you said is besides the point of this thread and all prior discussion. If you don't like flame's general attitude, call him out on it when it's not actually relevant and reasonable given the situation. It's like you and Muffin are ignoring all context and going "Oh, Flame said something! I better wave some pitchforks around now!".

This is not the time or place to be hitching the horses to the hatewagon. I'd rather see the contest get taken care of.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
No, grazr, everything you said is besides the point of this thread and all prior discussion. If you don't like flame's general attitude, call him out on it when it's not actually relevant and reasonable given the situation. It's like you and Muffin are ignoring all context and going "Oh, Flame said something! I better wave some pitchforks around now!".

This is not the time or place to be hitching the horses to the hatewagon. I'd rather see the contest get taken care of.

That's not it at all. I make one "take it easy Flame" post and you're making out like i'm trying to start a hate wagon and throw the topic off the rails. You managed to create that discussion yourself by misinterpreting my comment and calling me out.

But now i'm just satisfying the very arguement you're trying to make so i'll leave it at that and not post in this thread anymore.

If i havn't said it already, congratulations to the preliminary winners. You all put so much hard work in, good luck in the finals.

Last edited:

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
That's not even the point Shmitz. I'm talking about how he talks to people. Not only is he condescending towards anyone without community influence, but he makes sarcastic comments all over the forums that would and have gotten other members bans. I just don't get why people put up with it. Flame and his attitude is a running joke in the chat and the active members only put up with his crap because he is actually helpful when push comes to shove. But nothing excuses an individual that consistantly kicks dirt in the faces of others.

Despite what this post may imply i don't hate flame and i respect how helpful he has been to the community. But nothing excuses an individual from treating the community members like crap. You wouldn't accept it from an admin and you wouldn't accept it from a normal TF2maps member. Yet when Flame makes jokes or remarks at the expense of other members he gets a pat on the back.

how is this a "take it easy Flame"?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
how is this a "take it easy Flame"?

I wish you'd stop telling everyone they don't have a clue. Whether they're right or wrong, that's not how you treat or talk to people.

That post, sillypants. I didn't make that other post until Shmitz replied.

edit: Ah crap, you got me to post in this thread again... oh well.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
It is when a person knows what's happening behind the scenes but can't give details, and other people keep jumping to wrong conclusions. Saying "you're wrong" is the best he can do, while saying nothing and letting someone believe the wrong things is the worst.

I wouldn't really refer to that as "calling you out"

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well this has been yet another unnecessary flame war (that's not a pun) that has accomplished absolute nothing so far. I have more I'd like to say but I'd rather not contribute to this stupidity. Could we just stop it?

EDIT:
It's like you and Muffin are ignoring all context and going "Oh, Flame said something! I better wave some pitchforks around now!".
But I feel it's necessary to say; I was kind of hoping my apology for my stupid mistake would keep me from being accused of randomly attacking him. I do like to wave my pitchforks but I make sure to do so for a good reason because I don't like to start flame wars. Like this one.

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Wouldnt be a community if we all agreed! Now... How come nobody seems to be ever actually playing these maps on the server?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Wouldnt be a community if we all agreed! Now... How come nobody seems to be ever actually playing these maps on the server?

I noticed this too, unfortunately i can't play any games at the moment because my second GPU has finally melted. Which means i can't even play some of the underdog contest maps i've not yet played :(

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, for one the server config that changes the mode to time-based CTF is not working. At least not on the EU server.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, for one the server config that changes the mode to time-based CTF is not working. At least not on the EU server.

I noticed this last time i tried to test sabotage D: it was rather frustrating to put up with...

Who is in control of the servers right now, just drpepper?

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
i'm not entirely 100% on what's going on here, but from what i can gather it sounds like the judges aren't as "leet" skilled comp players as people 1st thought. personally i don't see a problem with the judges not being uber-skilled-pro-players. anyone in the competitive scene will be someone who plays tf2 quite a bit (plus isn't gonna be as niggled about things that us mappers might get caught up on, so it's adding important perspective there). Most of the time i'm guessing working out which maps play well and which offer a better play experience is not really all that hard - you know if a maps good when you're finding yourself having fun, and getting caught up in your team-chat makeing strategies, popping ubers on sentrys, and intercepting intel carriers. i'm sure the judges had ample experience on all the maps, with a competent group of players who were playing seriously (rather than 6sentry-intel-room-farms or other sillinesses).
besides all that though, you didn't know who they were when you started mapping for this contest, and i don't really believe this kinda information would have made anyone just up and quit their map if they had known. (and if it had, then that's kinda a shame cos it means you've forgotten why you went into the mapping in the 1st place).

have we perhaps lost perspective here of WHY we map? this isn't a job it's a hobby. so you guys should be in it for your personal fun of making a map primarily. any prizes/gifts/rewards are just nice lil bonuses. i don't know other people's reasons for going into mapping, but mine started out because i never saw maps that offered situations/layouts of the sort that i wanted to be able to play in. i wanted to try and create the sort of feeling that i was looking for in a map myself.
now i didn't make it through the prelims - and yeh, i'm a lil sad about it, but i still had fun making maps in a different way to usual, and learning more about how the comp community think and react to things. people got to play maps that i made, (and hopefully had fun), and that to me is almost equivalent to winning a contest - knowing that i made something that people were able to enjoy and appreciate.

so i guess i'm saying to take a moment and think about the fun times you had, and cherish those, instead of feeling sore about the contest (which we all know has had it's fair share of bumps).
if you can't do that, then at the very least, lets get this contest over and done with without dragging it out any more then needed.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, usually contests allow people to get a little more competitive, so saying it's just for fun isn't entirely true, even though people will obviously be doing it for fun as well. But i don't think that's what the problem is or has been. This contest had a lot of expectations which it failed to meet. Thus, a lot of entrants and even other members who havn't submited entries are a little disappointed.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
YM, if you need this open again or cleaned, let me know.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
seriously disappointed in everyone's behavior in here. what a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.