Model Construction Vehicles

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks, what do you mean exactly by geomentry errors? I mean,

Nothing major, you appear to have perpendicular faces with the same smoothing group on the bottom bit before the drill, and then a non-planar on the thing going around it.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Nothing major, you appear to have perpendicular faces with the same smoothing group on the bottom bit before the drill, and then a non-planar on the thing going around it.

I don't think blender has smoothing groups :blushing:
EDIT: It kinda has something like it, but I think it's only automatic.

Equinoxo

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
LoggingTruckFinal4.jpg

That's still happening, it's been sat on the backburner at 90% completion while I'm working on a couple of other projects.
That and I kept quiet for a while to allow breathing room for something more closely related to the original request to appear.

Also the collision mesh works just dandy.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Might I add that with the ability to climb to the top of the crane, that truck will be VERY useful for flank routes and unconventional methods of elevation. The skins look like they could use more brushstrokes, but coming from me (my jackhammer's attempt at skinning resulted in colour leaking between distant faces due to the resolution of the image)

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Given some of the screenshots, my main concern is that the machinery all look like it's from the right time-period. Big metal bumpers, wheel-wells, etc.

It's like half Mac and half functioning piece of technology.
Isn't that a redundant statement? ;) (Yes, I used a Mac at work for two years, down boys.)

Might I add that with the ability to climb to the top of the crane, that truck will be VERY useful for flank routes and unconventional methods of elevation.

How about making the crane a separate model, so that you can either have an elevated or flat version. It would also mean that other "attachments" besides "hydraulic claw" would be possible. I can imagine some cases where you might want the prop, but not want it to be so tall that it becomes a useful climb.

Last edited:

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009
Given some of the screenshots, my main concern is that the machinery all look like it's from the right time-period. Big metal bumpers, wheel-wells, etc.

The time period on the truck is right, I made sure of it, I could probably add greater emphasis onto those features, however.

How about making the crane a separate model, so that you can either have an elevated or flat version. It would also mean that other "attachments" besides "hydraulic claw" would be possible. I can imagine some cases where you might want the prop, but not want it to be so tall that it becomes a useful climb.

That's the plan, I'll provide a few different payloads for the truck too. The top of the flatbed is precisely 48 units above the ground for easy snapping, too.
Would it be easier to use the crane (and alternatives) as a separate model, or provide alternative trucks with the attachment as a whole. Both have their pros and cons from modelling and mapping perspectives.

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009
Well paint generally prevents the underlying metal from oxidising, so if it peels then... Rust, so you're both right. To be honest the effect isn't that great, looks a little tacked on for my liking. Saying that though, it's more effective in-engine than from those renders.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Well paint generally prevents the underlying metal from oxidising, so if it peels then... Rust, so you're both right. To be honest the effect isn't that great, looks a little tacked on for my liking. Saying that though, it's more effective in-engine than from those renders.

It's more convincing if the prop is going to be seen more than once if there aren't any identical patterns on it. If it's going to be seen once, great, if players see two, both with identical decay then you've got a bit of a problem on your hands.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'm guessing 95% of the time it will be a static prop with a defined skin embedded into a map... so AFAIK having lots of skin-variations won't cause that much map bloat or end-user performance issues unless the mapper actually uses them all.

UGLYdumpling

L3: Member
May 24, 2010
I'm new here. Been lurking for about a month or so ... hehe.

The steamroller sounded like an interesting challenge so I've posted a WIP here
Hoping to get some feedback.

I'll be spending the day playing around with proportions and blocking it out a bit more tomorrow.

Cheers!