Model Construction Vehicles

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
thats some great info and screenshots on that site !
thanks for that resource :)

Equinoxo

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
Screenshots? So that's how they did it ;)
Here's my progress on the logging truck, it's coming along nicely, needs a bit of tidying up, the crane, a few logs and a stray banjo.
attachment.php

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
wow, that looks really good, Equinoxo - cant wait for your model being textured ! hoe you finish it :)

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009
Don't worry, I'll definitely be finishing this.
The modelling's pretty much finished at this point, might add a couple of details around the trailer, a seat for the crane and of course... The banjo. However I'll need to shave off 1000 polys here and there (at least to bring it to the same around the same amount the existing dumptruck and pickup models use)
The existing log-pile model fits quite neatly onto the back, so I won't be modelling any extra logs for it.
attachment.php

I should have it mostly textured by tomorrow

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

don't use that log pile!! its a HL2 prop they used as a reference when making lumberyard. They removed it originally but had to put it back because some silly mappers used it.

Use the proper TF2 logpile!!!!

Jakkarra

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 26, 2009
Or, make another logpile that looks just like that, it saves you editing your truck there.

Incidently, do you mind me using it possibly? :D

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for the heads up YM, I checked it with the TF2 logppile and that thing's huge! Three times longer than the whole truck. Looks like I'll be modelling the logs after all.
Also, I'll have no issues whatsoever with anybody using this however they would like.
Out of curiosity, would it be acceptable to modify the existing Valve model to fit the truck, or is that frowned upon?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i think as long as you make it crystal clear it's valve's original work and you just made tiny modifications to it, that should be fine. valve is really modest and open about "using" their work as long as it stays within their designed environment (which is tf2, in this case :p)
i once mailed them if it was alright that i included some of their hat models (which i hacked the textures around) for that weird hatstand i made a long time ago. and they were absolutely fine and generous with their reply. said it was alright and it was fine to release it :)

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I'm bummed that the logging truck is being made instead of what I asked for.

Looks good, though.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Maybe. <_<

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Don't get me wrong, it looks fantastic, but is not what I had requested.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
[continues request derailment]Any chance we can have the log pile as a separate model please? That way we can use the truck with and without the logs. Looking good by the way.[/continues request derailment]

I am also disappoint by the lack of diggers and such.

Last edited:

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009

Jakkarra

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 26, 2009
You could just put pipes on it, Y'know.

It's exactly the same, but they are hollow.

:3

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Re modifying valve's stuff:

That's pretty much all mapping is. Use of valve's materials and models to make your own is fine as long as you're making for the same game.

Equinoxo

Feb 1, 2009
Cool, thanks YM. I'll probably remodel the logs but use the existing material, for now I've simply retextured the HL2 logs model as a reference.
Almost finished texturing now, just need to dirty them up a bit and add some details. Opinions on how it's looking? Constructiony enough? I'll work in a Blu and a Red skin for it too, and maybe another version more suited to the alpine environment.
attachment.php

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
It's looking great, but one suggestion: can the crane be a seperate model? A truck with a flatbed and no crane would be ideal for a little project I'm pidding with at the moment. In fact, your first screenshot is perfect.

Will the skins be blu, red, and neutral/dump truck yellow?

Kep

Opinions on how it's looking? Constructiony enough? I'll work in a Blu and a Red skin for it too, and maybe another version more suited to the alpine environment.
attachment.php

I should have it mostly textured by tomorrow