Model Construction Vehicles

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Excavator_render1.jpg

VERY WIP. Will be optimised and the cab is not finished by far.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
That looks like a plastic toy.

I know you said it's wip. but yeah...
even this thing has sharper edges!

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
It's like half Mac and half functioning piece of technology.

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
I doubt I could make any major props like diggers but anything minor (concrete blocks, barriers etc) I would give a try if there was any demand for it.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Ok, no no no.

Do you even know what you're supposed to be making, get some references.

Here's a friends model, of what I assume you're trying to make?

veh_excavator.jpg

Hope this helps.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
*sniff*
I wasn't really trying to remake the reference model exactly, just a design that I thought looked cool. But now I've given up.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
*sniff*
I wasn't really trying to remake the reference model exactly, just a design that I thought looked cool. But now I've given up.

Not trying to be a dick here, but what you made really didn't look any good.

That's no reason to give up though, because you'll never get anywhere with that kind of work ethic man.

Delete what you have, and start over, with a better idea of what you want the end result to look like in mind. That with a bit more thought into tf2's art style and you'll start getting somewhere.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Not trying to be a dick here, but what you made really didn't look any good.

That's no reason to give up though, because you'll never get anywhere with that kind of work ethic man.

Delete what you have, and start over, with a better idea of what you want the end result to look like in mind. That with a bit more thought into tf2's art style and you'll start getting somewhere.

Nah, I'm not really giving up, I just thought that model was awesome. This is more practice than a real attempt (which is an improvement on the gear I did last time), and I do have a reference picture (http://www.brookshire.com.au/wp-content/uploads/thumbs.php/excavator-line.jpg) which I deliberately ignored until the cab, which I am working on now. Rest assured it no longer looks "half-way between a mac and a piece of functioning technology" but more like an excavator. What I was wondering is how the arm looks. I might put hydraulics on it later, but I just wanted to get the overall shape done.
The attached render is an idea of where I am going, but of course with a LOT more work to do before I consider it finished. I'll be taking off the ultra-smooth subsurfing as I approach the finished design, and I am still working on it.

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
What I was wondering is how the arm looks.

Look at the model I posted, look at your own references, and compare it to yours.

What you have honestly looks terrible, it barely even resembles an excavator, and has non planars, and all kinds of other errors all over it.

Right now, delete this. Start over, and try to follow your references as close as you can. This takes practice, and this is obviously one of your first models. So of all things don't let this discourage you, keep trying, keep posting your work, and keep getting crit until you get a handle on modeling.

UGLYdumpling

L3: Member
May 24, 2010
I'll be taking off the ultra-smooth subsurfing
Don't work with smoothing on. Turn it off and post again. Can your modeling application display the surface AND the wireframe at the same time? Cuz that's ideal.

I know it seems very tedious and boring, but you'd benefit greatly if you drew out isometrics of your subject BEFORE you started modeling. It would force you to think about proportion which is the core of the critiques you've got so far.

Try to stay positive, it's hard to model on your own - and without any formal training. There are quite a few smart folks with lots of experience who seem to enjoy helping eachother out, so you've got the potential to learn quite a bit if you keep at it! :cool:

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
I think I need to make my true intentions true here. I have no intentions on seeing this model in-game. I don't even know why I posted it here. I'm not trying to make something that looks like an excavator, I'm trying to make what an excavator would look like if I was to design it from scratch. It's all just modelling practice.

Last edited:

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry for the double post.
Well, at the risk of pulling up another storm (and I admit I got quite defensive there) this is what I have created since my attempt at designing an excavator:
1094 vertexes, 2415 edges and 1285 faces. Expect culling.
attachment.php
jimma%2520with%2520jackhammer.jpg

Keep in mind that this would be the unfinished maximum detail model. The model will contain fewer curves, and a fair bit of bumpmapping reliance. So, how good does it look? And more importantly, if I added it to left 4 dead 2 as a chainsaw replacement...

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Not meaning to poo poo your efforts Tapp, it's always good to have more modellers about. :)
But if you want to practise modelling stuff why not start a new thread to get feedback and crits in? I'm sure plenty of people will give you constructive and useful feedback and tips, and you'll be free to practise without people placing any expectations on you to finish a requested model. Just a suggestion.

As it is this thread seem to no longer be about the initial request, which saddens me somewhat as it was a sensible request, which I'm sure many people would like to see fulfilled.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Sorry for the double post.
Well, at the risk of pulling up another storm (and I admit I got quite defensive there) this is what I have created since my attempt at designing an excavator:
1094 vertexes, 2415 edges and 1285 faces. Expect culling.
attachment.php
jimma%2520with%2520jackhammer.jpg

Keep in mind that this would be the unfinished maximum detail model. The model will contain fewer curves, and a fair bit of bumpmapping reliance. So, how good does it look? And more importantly, if I added it to left 4 dead 2 as a chainsaw replacement...

You know we really should have a studio section for modelers, rather than just a release & requests forum.

Anyway, much better, it's far from perfect and I think I can spot a few geometry errors on there, but this time it actually resembles what you were going for :p

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
You know we really should have a studio section for modelers, rather than just a release & requests forum.

Anyway, much better, it's far from perfect and I think I can spot a few geometry errors on there, but this time it actually resembles what you were going for :p

Thanks, what do you mean exactly by geomentry errors? I mean, I didn't copy the reference exactly but I think I got something very recognisable as a jackhammer. Also, I'll probably move this to my own thread now, I kinda am highjacking this thread. If I skinned, added LODs and fixed up the jackhammer a bit, would you use it? And you haven't answered me on whether it would make a good chainsaw replacement...