Community Weapons going out

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Youme: It would have to be one-time, unannounced, based on average SDK time over like three months.

Note to self: Avoid working on map with steam in offline mode.

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
It's practically impossible to keep it under control if I were to release it. One admin would leak it (or someone with access to his server would steal it).

Releasing indiscriminately would cause this problem, but evaluating it on a server/admin basis would not

voogru

L1: Registered
Feb 17, 2008
hmm... a voogru cloud, shared between communities.

Interesting idea, but first I need to implement a working version for my server.

I'm trying to think of how I am going to tackle a backpack that doesnt suck, since I can't use the existing one.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
What I'd really like to see (ideally as a Valve-added cvar) is something to change all "Golden FAN of the +something -something" into "FAN", and "Crimson Rocket Launcher of Pain" into "Rocket Launcher" etc. Basically you can use whatever weapons are in your backpack but the server automatically equips you with the vanilla version in-game.

Of course, it would start a small internet holy war over over whether Valve-added new items qualified as "vanilla"...

Last edited:

voogru

L1: Registered
Feb 17, 2008
What I'd really like to see (ideally as a Valve-added cvar) is something to change all "Golden FAN of the +something -something" into "FAN", and "Crimson Rocket Launcher of Pain" into "Rocket Launcher" etc. Basically you can use whatever weapons are in your backpack but the server automatically equips you with the vanilla version in-game.

Of course, it would start a small internet holy war over over whether Valve-added new items qualified as "vanilla"...

The weapon names are not networked, meaning we're stuck with the default names.

I was considering making an entity that would allow mappers to define custom weapons for their map (which could be picked up or setup to replace weapons of a type), another option would be to allow mappers to apply temporary attributes to weapons (for example, 10% damage when player is inside a trigger).

But the problem with this is the maps end up only working on servers with my code and having this as a requirment is a little steep.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Voogru, don't release the plugin. You'll see server admins greedy for more population abusing it for donators... a quick, easy, and malicious way to profit off of a plugin. Unless of course, you manage to have the plugin linked to some sort of server that you control, for management in case someone starts abusing the plugin for profit (so you can effectively control how admins use your plugin).

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
For the SDK reward I was thinking of more a one-time thing like the halos.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
You should know valve can track those actions easily. So any hats that got duplicated will become removed again.

Fragimus_Max

L3: Member
Jan 13, 2008
Very cool. Congrats to anyone who's received one. I believe I saw this rocket launcher (definitely one like it) on the TF2Maps server the other night.

Is it me, or is Valve kinda making "special item equipped" players stand out more than others? Large sparkles, glowing halos, etc. lol

Kind of like, "...if you want to equip this sweet item, prepare to be used as target practice."