Community Medieval Update

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
A fair number of the stuff, maybe most or all of it, was stuff released before the Medieval Update. They simply bundled it up and came up with a long-winded story that probably sucked - probably because I didn't read it since it was too long.

10 items at the most were released before the community update, infact one got ingame before the update came out too. There's at least 70 mods in the update, you do the math. The update had alot more new stuff than just a story.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
The new stuff was still uninteresting and boring.
I expected much more from this when i first heard about it and was disappointed when it came out.
Most of the items are just helmets and swords or otherwise just boring.

May 2, 2009
Quite sure gunpowder came to western civilizations 400-600 years after the "medieval" ages

Medieval ages starts when Ancient Rome (~300 AD) fell and ended when (Renaissance 14th century) started. Gunpowder came to Europe near 14th century.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, I'd say some of the comments are a bit harsh.

This is a pretty decent pack of props that imo are done pretty well all the way around. It was also done by amatuers ground up. I think a lot of the concepts/models/textures are well done, fit TF2's 'medieval' style pretty well and the pack shows a ton of creativity.

I think that get's lost by a bunch of people which is funny considering this is a MODDING community. Some good maps come out of here, but face it, that's 10% of what's produced. So what if only 10% of these models are good enough to make it in game?
Then it's still on par with what this community contributes to TF2.

We have also had maps included in TF2 that a lot of people like/dislike. So that aspect is probably right on par with the models too.

I think part of it is that some mappers open hammer, and they have everything present for them. And it's not too hard to stick generally to design that is similar to Valve's designs and have a 'good map' visually.
IMO modelling for the game is that much more difficult. You have to concept it, model it, texture it and make it meld into the game in a way that people are accepting.

I challenge anyone here who thinks that stuff looks terrible to do ONE model any better.

It's like modelers around here have always been second class citizens, and I realize it's a 'mapping' forum not a 'modeling' forum. But they do go hand in hand with custom content for TF2.

So I say to the team, congrats on the release and good luck getting in game.

T-LOID

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2011
Sure, some of the comments are a bit harsh, but perhaps only because they come over as direct attacks claiming everything looks terrible. I can't speak for the others, but I know that I don't want to see most of these items in-game because after the cow mangler and bizon, I'm seeing the effect of drastic changes in the art style.

Personally, I don't want valve to implement these weapons in-game because of the art styles not blending well. Perhaps they would be better fit in a sort of total conversion, where the entire setting of the game is medieval, with new character models and perhaps redesigned maps.

I'll be the first to say that I wish I could make models like those seen in the pack. They're all very nicely done, though not all are as clever or ingenious as others, but it just... doesn't fit.

I commend everyone who worked on the update, I don't think I could do it just yet, but I hope no one loses any sleep over the idea that I won't use them because I prefer the 1950s setting.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I agree, HellJumper and Wilson. Looking at the pop culture of the 60s, one can see that Star Trek and Doctor Who also existed at the time of TF2, so maybe we can get some phasers and sonic screwdrivers in TF2 as well. :O

Next week, Doctor Who spy set.
Spy gets sonic screwdriver to replace his sapper and 3 different style fezzes and bowties.

Mnemosynaut

L1: Registered
Jan 15, 2011
MORRIGAN ALLEY UPDATE (B3)

Changes include:

* Fixed teams not switching when RED wins the round
* Added support for bots
* Reduced RED spawn time slightly
* Reduced BLU spawn time immensely.
* BLU spawn slowly increases till it eventually matches Reds as each point is gained.
* Time gained in Caps 1 and 2 have been decreased by 40 seconds.
* Cut holes out of courtyard railing to help Reds jump down easily.

Better late than never. Get it here: http://medieval.tf2mods.net/6_1.html

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Is there a way to download this anymore? can anyone else upload it even? I really badly need the noose in it (apparently there is one in it)

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Specifically this stuff:
46266d4f50.jpg

The page comes up with "Unable to select database" so I can't download it

http://medieval.tf2mods.net/download.php?id=181 This is the link specifically

Last edited:

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
The content is still on TF2mods servers I think, it's just after the recent server move the webpage isn't linked up to it properly. Smashman who made the medieval site is pretty busy with other projects like mods.tf but he does know about the problem as I spoke to him about it a few months back. He's at Eurogamer right now ( I met him yesterday there) but i'll poke him about it again afterwards