clip vs player clip

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by shpladoink, Aug 1, 2008.

1. shpladoink

shpladoink L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    WHO WILL REIGN VICTORIOUS

I noticed Valve mostly use these textures interchangeably, and I don't see any difference between the two in game. Clip is supposed to be "solid to all objects," but grenades and other projectiles still go through it. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

2. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I'm taking a wild guess here, but maybe clip is solid to gibs and physics objects? I've never seen any reason to use one over the other, though, so I just use playerclip.

3. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Grenades and Projectiles are properly classed as "bullets" so maybe a blockbullet brush would allow collisions.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I've wondered this for a while but never really been that bothered. Some valve maps use clip whilst others use playerclip. Who knows?

5. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe some of their mappers just hate pink. o:

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I have a strong feeling clip will stop ragdolls (and I know it stops other props ie. gibs) whilst playerclip ONLY blocks the player and ONLY whilst they are alive (why sometimes you can get out of bounds once you are dead)

7. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just use playerclip, if I want to stop grenades and bullets, I use invisible, or even a func_brush set to don't render.