Citizen's Vote - Second Time Extension

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Void, Oct 18, 2009.

?

A Second Time Extension?

1. Increase the Time Limit

37.3%
  2. Leave it as is

49.4%
  3. No opinion

13.3%
  1. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    As I type this, there are slightly over 11 days left ticking away at that countdown we've all come to know, love, and hate.

Our contest was clear, simple. Payload Race versus Assault Capture the Flag. Mind you that the gamemodes weren't as simple as the name. That brings me to my first statement; these gamemodes are underdeveloped and have yet for all the kinks to work out. Payload Race is bugged constantly with stopping carts and crossovers that refuse to live up to their name. Assault CTF is, to say the least, a work in progress. Sure, we got Valve support with the HUD and flag model support, but it's system still has things to work out.

Because of these flaws, we the mappers have been flooding the gamedays with constant alphas in self-made attempts to fix the near-unfixable. Because of nearly-broken gameplay from these results, Betas simply can not be reached. At this time, only 3 maps of a total 17 (not counting threads discontinued in early august) have gone Beta - Vector, Snowdrift, and HAARP.

Now, these mappers have all proven to be good developers when it comes to maps, but not all of us are as lucky, what with the aforementioned bugs and outright gameplay-breaking problems. Add that to the Schoolyear's beginning, Job hours, and every other thing we don't need to discuss here - and you have yourself a nasty little time problem.

So I'm casting a... "Citizen's Vote," per se, to add another time extension to the contest. There is no right, there is no wrong, just vote, and we'll see where that takes us.

Good luck and no matter what happens, may the best mapper win.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Work faster, reply to forum less.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve will fix these modes though im sure so i say no, also becuase i didn't no about this contest and ideas 4 next one have been flooding in and i reckon a team contest sounds fun

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Even though I dropped out in august I agree there should be an extension. Most of the remaining map are almost at Beta and I would really like to see them reach that before the end. Just my .02 cents.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    Ye but think about it many will randomly continue doing this work and the rest of us can get on with the next contest which has had many good ideas for it

6. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    Theres already been two extensions already!!

Surely theres hype for the end now, to push it back, even by a week would just ruin that.

There has been masses of time to get a map well into beta, as proven by icarus spud and jonah. The rest of you, tbh have been slacking!! (As have I) but theres nothing like the prospect of a looming deadline to encourage people to work

7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I will cry if this gets another extension. Think of us non-participants who are enduring plr and ctf maps every single gameday. I'm sure some people like it, but then there are also people who hate the game modes. Like me. It's getting very old, and I'm looking forward to the end of this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    That's my feeling in a few more words than my original post.

If you really don't want to rush out a beta, why not have everyone release _c's, or _contest? That way it's beta enough for the contest, but not the same beta everyone else runs on.

What you don't seem to get is: A contest is a contest for a reason. It's supposed to be a chalange. These contests require a lot out of you, and require you to work under pressure for a reason.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  9. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    2? I know one was for the hammer bug. What was the 2nd for?

10. Westerhound

Westerhound L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Real lack of time :p

11. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    There was a week added right in the middle, then with a month left, a further month was added.

Didn't you notice the timer jumped from 30 to 60??

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I thought they captured a control point so time had been added.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  13. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    Yeh still this contest is getting slightly boring

14. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Gamemaster, I have no idea what you're talking about. We are discussing the current contest.

15. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    He made a joke, pretty witty too. you just failed to connect the dots.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Don't pretend Youme.

17. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    I think it's time it comes to a close. You got around 4 months to develop a map into at least it's beta stage. Any more it's becoming ridiculous. We have to set a deadline, and October was incredibly generous. At the very least you shouldn't ask for another extension in just a mere week or so before the deadline.

18. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    I'm voting for increase just a small amount just so AD/CTF mappers have time to get a new intel model if they want.

19. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Hopefully most of the members here who will vote will be fair and won't entirely base their vote on a map's completeness.

20. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    And anyway they can still continue there maps that they made for this contest if they want as i said previously