Can't Find pak01_dir.vpk

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by CyanideNoodles, Dec 15, 2015.

1. CyanideNoodles

CyanideNoodles L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm having a problem finding pak01_dir.vpk with GCFScape. I go to my common/Team Fortress 2/tf folder and see tf2_textures_dir, tf_sound_dir, and tf2_misc_dir but no pak01_dir.vpk. I've verified the files twice already. Anyone else run into this problem?

2. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    All of the game files are spread accross those named vpks. There is no such file as pak01_dir.vpk for TF2.

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    pak01_dir is what CS:GO uses, right? TF2's vpks are just named differently and divided up based on what they contain.

4. CyanideNoodles

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I thought TF2 used it also. I'm trying to decompile a model and I can't find it anywhere when I use GCFscape, which vpk should I be opening?

5. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    tf2_misc_dir has all the model files and .vmts. tf2_textures_dir just has the .vtfs, and tf2_sound_dir should be self-explanatory.

6. CyanideNoodles

Positive Ratings:
    When I open it though it doesn't have the folder I'm looking for, but it is there in my models folder

7. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    You mean the model in your tf/models directory? If it's outside the .vpk, then you don't need GCFScape anymore. You can go ahead and decompile it with Crowbar or whatever other tool you prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CyanideNoodles

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the advice, downloading crowbar fixed it all for me.