Canada

Canada RC1

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
-B3 Released!-
Totally rehauled the central cap. It's now got NO trees and more hard cover to protect against snipers and engineers.
Fixed many small bugs around the map - all the ones J4ck8 pointed out have been fixed, and 4 areaportals have been added by suggestion.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
-B3 Released!-
Totally rehauled the central cap. It's now got NO trees and more hard cover to protect against snipers and engineers.
Fixed many small bugs around the map - all the ones J4ck8 pointed out have been fixed, and 4 areaportals have been added by suggestion.

what about cubemaps?

Boonsaw

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2008
Kind of liked it, killed my fps though (But that's mostly on my side).

This looks weird though, as I said:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
played better, new mid is more open and not so messy,thats good.

still i recomend to move spawn to make both routes equal length, as the second one is longer and gives no actual advantage for you taking it

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
and some screenies
first,someone complained bout optimisation
i ran it with mat_wireframe to the cap point and thats what i saw
you rly need to fix dat.
in other news,i still recomend to do this, and also to do this that will both help gameplay and optimisation

hope dat helps :D

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
played better, new mid is more open and not so messy,thats good.

still i recomend to move spawn to make both routes equal length, as the second one is longer and gives no actual advantage for you taking it

I'm not sure moving the spawn would be a good idea, the building between the longer path and spawn creates a barrier that helps stop spawncamping.
I'll definitely find a way to make the other pathway give you more of an advantage, or at least give you a reason to use it.
I've found sentries work very well there

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
That first picture seriously concerns me because when I was testing my optimization I couldn't see the base from spawn. The areaportals had made sure of that, so that's really not good.
I still need to get round to figuring out how to get the fade distances to an appropriate amount, but i'll make sure they're done in b4.
I won't be adding a fence to that roof like you suggested though, it's open for a reason, if you're gonna have a good view of the point, you should be baring yourself.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
sure,as you like
just makin some suggestions :D

lookin forward for _b4

oh and one more thing, turn max hdr ammount abit lower,it was too bright and bloomy in some areas (as for me)

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
My clan recently tried this map out as a possibility to add to our rotation. While playing, I came up with some thoughts on it:

1) Love the detailing work and decoration.

2) The point and the area around it is golden. I honestly don't see how you can improve it without messing it up.

3) The area forward and to the left of spawn is immensely huge for no apparent reason, and offers no real benefits to using besides being a spy route. During our play, players 90% of the time took the route of ladder -> roofs -> either upper or lower path in the building there. Even if the big area was intended to be a spy area, it seems awfully huge for such reason.

That's my two cents.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
My clan recently tried this map out as a possibility to add to our rotation. While playing, I came up with some thoughts on it:

1) Love the detailing work and decoration.

2) The point and the area around it is golden. I honestly don't see how you can improve it without messing it up.

3) The area forward and to the left of spawn is immensely huge for no apparent reason, and offers no real benefits to using besides being a spy route. During our play, players 90% of the time took the route of ladder -> roofs -> either upper or lower path in the building there. Even if the big area was intended to be a spy area, it seems awfully huge for such reason.

That's my two cents.

Thanks loads.

I've been trying to think of ways to improve that side path, people have told me before it is rather useless. I've only found it any good for sticky-jumping back to spawn so far, but if it wasn't there, you'd definitely notice how there is only one path. I'm sure i'll find something to do with it though.

If it does get into your rotation tell me, i'd love to play it with you guys sometime :)

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Bump for being played in an impromptu.
Any feedback would be great :D

EDIT: What Flame said so I don't forget:
Flame said:
21:52 - flame [f4a]: oh the points surrounded by a pit that nobody wants to fight on
21:52 - flame [f4a]: and the point itself isnt fun to fight on either because its so enclosed
21:53 - flame [f4a]: and the height variation on the sides is where u want to be
21:53 - flame [f4a]: not on the point iself
21:53 - flame [f4a]: i suggested removing a wall or two on the point
21:53 - Prestige: the point building might need to be biggeer
21:53 - flame [f4a]: and making it more like ravine
21:53 - flame [f4a]: etc

Last edited:

H-land

L2: Junior Member
Jul 15, 2009
While I was playing Canada, most of the bad experiences I had were around spawn. The path under the... pedestrian overpass? Is underused probably because the overroof path is so handy and direct, and because this route is too straight and bereft of cover. I also noticed that at once point, there's a little nook that you could hide a teleporter under that I think that you should close up. I was also getting not quite spawncamped, but perpetually irrirated by some bugger little scout who kept running a circuit on the spawn area roofs. I think that by closing off the area that allowed him to make a circuit or at least removing the pickups in there, that you could make combat by spawn undesirable enough to stop people from doing that in the future. Maybe. I hope.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I found snipers to be over powered. Me and Ravidge did pretty well in the impromtu.
I also found the travel distances to be really long, if not too long. - Mid's rather small too.
The main problem was with your upper exit comming into mid. A sniper can so easily camp that tiny door. Over all shorten travel distances and add cover here:
overpowered.jpg

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
-Updated to Release Candidate 1!-

rc1:
Moved the middle cap around a bit
Changed healthpack+ammopack spawns and sizes
Added cover to the side route
Detailed the map more heavily
Flagged the snow as weather particles
Added snow to the rooftops
Added a mysterious trainpath!

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
These houses seem a little flat, it kind of breaks the immersion that they're obviously next to the skybox.
koth_canada_rc10000.jpg

If I rocket jump up a bit it looks weird:
koth_canada_rc10002.jpg

This is on both sides:
koth_canada_rc10001.jpg

Apart from that, I had fun! Except for there was one door that sometimes didn't open, where the engys were building? I'm not sure if it's supposed to lock sometimes or what.