Backlot

ARENA backlot rc2

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Those pics that you posted in chat - the chickenwire on BLU's side is way too large, scale it to 0.1x0.1.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
a8 - Looking nice
- Started some detailing around the edge
- Set theme to a pipeline meets well meets construction type thing
- It is at night now (First arena map i know to do this)
- optimized a tad

Updated Pics to.

The edges/actualy construction parts seem a little dark now that I look at them again, I'll be adding more lights for those area's in the coming alpha's.

EDIT: @Seba: Done.

Last edited:

NinjillaX

L3: Member
Apr 4, 2011
For a small map like this I'd go for asymmetrical detailing. It's more of a challenge but it makes things look so much more varied to me.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Thats what I was doing, I have recieved a comment though that they buildings should be similiar shape, as a way for better aethetics, I agree with this person a bit and will be adjusting the detailin on blue's side to be more... "far along" on their construction, but hopefully still keeping what I originally had in mind.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
arena_runaway_a90010.jpg
arena_runaway_a90011.jpg

arena_runaway_a90012.jpg

Not finished, but this will probably be what it looks like for a9.

Things I know i need to adjust
-Break up that repeating concrete/brick texture on mid (posters, lighting, etc)
-lighting overall
-Might adjust that rebar texture over cap point doors, feels odd to me.

EDIT: also for a name, I'm jumping between Framework or Backlot (thanks LeSwordfish for the name!)

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Correct me if i'm wrong, but rebar is the framework that holds concrete together, right? Usually it would be with less neat concrete i imagine.

I'll repeat what i said in chat, to expand on it. Those walls are too simple and flat and blocky and neat. Egypt doesnt really get away with that, but if it did it would be through textures with the distinctive brick pattern on them. That texture is so flat and smooth it doesnt look very good at that amount.

If it werent for the metal struts on the inside, i'd suggest some on the outside. As it is, that building looks very dull. Maybe X-shaped wooden struts on the outside, or changing it to a less flat texture, or adding a rim of something else around the bottom part of it. Look at well's mid for a good example of interesting neutral detailing, i'm picturing that.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
When I read "framework" I first associated it with programming, then with teaching exercises, then with writing, and finally realized after that what it was referring to. My main reason for voting Backlot is that Framework has too many alternate meanings.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Heh, I updated this without making a post.

See previous post and other ones scattered around the site for WiP shots of mid. Updated screenshots in release post with some too.

I'm at a9, this was really only released to check gameplay balance issues that may have been caused by detailing. I still have lots of detailing left, specifically the main "front yard" area (with the trucks) i'm not sure how I want to detail that yet.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
It is, from CoD4. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

McNuggetFiend

Jun 22, 2009
I have not had the pleasure of playing this map with a bunch of people, but I like it so far. A nice little arena map...but I'd like to see it have a bit more breathing room, mayhaps?

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
The map was designed to be small, to promote faster gameplay; something I feel needs to be included in Arena but is not in many cases. it has infact already been made wider, and I have had no feedback saying that it needs too. Once you play it, which if you can, I suggest you download it and do it, I've been told the map is quite fun. You can probably see that it is fine in width.

That being said, if I get a lot of people telling me to make it wider, then I will try and find a way to give more breathing room. Also, for a10 (next version) I will be testing the mid a little and making it a lot more open that it already is by removing the rebar on top of the doors and removing the clipping that prevents people onto the point.

McNuggetFiend

Jun 22, 2009
I've fooled around with bots on it, which of course is hit or miss in Arena especially and I certainly support fast paced Arena play, but I also don't like the possibility of Arena becoming what team can just outspam the other team.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright. I see you concern for it being spammy, but from the tests that have been done on it, that latest version (a9) after 50 rounds of testing has maintained a 50/50 red vs blu win percentage (alright, 2 rounds went stalemate, but thats because of 1v1). You can see the percentage here . if it was all about "who can spam more" this would not be the percentage.

The map is fast-paced, yes, but its fun and a lot of the people who have played it enjoy it, and a few of those who enjoy it actually hate arena, but enjoy this map. I made it small to promote the fast gameplay, to make arena less boring. Because people who play arena hate waiting, and with this, your waiting for no more than a minute (avg is like ~25 seconds).

If you can ever get a chance to play it with real players (maybe look out for one of our impromptus, if you are part of the steam group you will get an annoucement when one is), I think you'll find its (not the best) but a pretty enjoyable arena map.

McNuggetFiend

Jun 22, 2009
Haha I'm sure it is an enjoyable map! I'm not hating on it dude, I'm just saying I could see how it might be spammy, but that I had only played it with bots :)