August 31, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Great update, I just had this idea about parenting the intel to a moving object and now it's finally possible! Brilliant :)

Did they fix the particles though, or shall I continue to happily spew waffles out of my flamethrower?

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Oh no guys, it looks like I'll have to go back to using an idle SERVER instead of the idle PROGRAM! Curse you, Valve!!!

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'm very interested in the parentable intelligence briefcase. It's too late for me to switch designs now, but I think we need to make a CTF map where the flag is constantly moving in a circuit along a track. On it's own little cart.

It would be simply to prevent sentries from being able to constantly cover it, and it could even occasionall chug towards the front lines and people would need to scramble to defend it. :p

anyone else dissapointed they missed out on this?

I think it happened to me, in which case you didn't actually get any more items, it would simply keep on bugging you about an item you already had.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Interesting how you can hack on non VAC servers but when you use an idling program on one they go out of their way to implement a system for punishing you.

What what happens on a non-VAC server stays on a non-VAC server. (At least by any technical metric.) By contrast, steam-cloud items are transferable and persistent, spanning across both types of servers.

Additionally the reason you still get items on VAC server is that due to the reporting and earning scheme: Valve has no real reason to treat non-VAC servers as second-class gameplay.

So no, it's not "it's interesting..." in that cable-news-channel-pundit way you mean it.

Last edited:

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
I disagree... don't turn TF2 into a game of dress-up... the majority of players shouldn't have a hat... otherwise they're not special. I don't have a hat... Do I want one? Depends on what it is... Do I need one? No.

You sir are the kind of person that shouldn't be allowed to own any hats at all.

You don't want hats because you like them, you don't even want them because you think they're cool. You want them for bragging rights, regardless of other issues, and as such you don't deserve them. They could be a pile of shit, but they are rare! It's all about ego-stroking.

Tell you what, what about Valve gives you something like a 9001 year VAC ban mh? You could brag about that, I mean, how many people can claim they were banned "OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!" years? On the upside this wouldn't be bothering people who want to genuinely enjoy the game.

PS: Terr, go look at ctf_System. Ravidge beat you to it.

Last edited:

psikobare

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2009
lol just had an idea, it would be awesome and possibly effective if valve gave everyone who DIDN'T use the idler a badge or medal or something similar... :p

that's exactly what i was thinking some days ago, but sadly, i failed and succumb to the dark side of TF2, since a mate of mine got a hide while idling, while, me, wasn't even able to play (broke a finger badly, can't use right hand), at least i had something TF2ish to enjoy

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
Added "tf_allow_player_use" server ConVar to control players executing +use while playing (defaults to 0)

NOOOO!!! There goes my idea of having a super secret passage that only I know :p

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I love how people are complaining about Valve wasting their time, or not spending it on certain things, when we don't know what they are doing. Whatever made it in this patch made it in this patch. Particle bug might be halfway fixed and will be in the next patch (it's not like Valve can just say, alas, a bug! And it fixes itself). FPS issues might be being worked on. We don't know.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Oh wow, they banned idling. It's all right, I was just waiting for them to fix it, but I hope this doesn't mean I get my wonderful, sexy Stainless Pot removed.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I'm very interested in the parentable intelligence briefcase. It's too late for me to switch designs now, but I think we need to make a CTF map where the flag is constantly moving in a circuit along a track. On it's own little cart.
[ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=6775]...[/ame] <_<

Feb 17, 2009
God help them if they remove my items :cursing:
*shakes fist*

Last edited by a moderator: