Assembly

Apr 19, 2009
Taking a page from the book of Ravidge.
Ok, I have a plan. To help myself, and others produce good maps.

If you (a mapper with a wip map) post a 'feedback reply' in this thread, I will personally pay you back by giving you feedback on your map of the same quality as you gave me.

If this works, I can see a future of great feedback bouncing back and forth if other people pick this 'experiment' up.
If you don't have a map, you're welcome anyway and I will reply with a friendly mspaint illustration or other amusing things! :)

You get what you give

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
  • NEVER place pickups so close together. This applies to everyone else who has made this mistake as well. It only makes it more difficult to pickup a single item whilst leaving the other in tact. [1] Also, patches need to be placed under all the pickups.
  • There is a gap here which appears to be passable. Move the train cars back to close the gap. [2]
  • This roof is too thick. I know it's only an alpha but it's worth mentioning that it should be between 4 - 8 units thick. [3]
  • I always found the path leading to the ground floor of the intel room to be too overpowered. Because there is so little room it's very easy for a scout to rush in and out with the intel before anybody can even realise. Push the wall further back (to where I've marked) as to allow players to see enemies coming into the room from further away. You also might want to downgrade that healthkit at the back to a medium at least. [4]

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Here's a small bit of post-test feedback.

Offensive engineer was pretty effective. The middle gate was a bit too much of a sentry spot. My advice is either add some railing to block the bullets or shrink the items behind said gate to small items. Speaking of items, you placed too many large health kits too close to one another. I tried chasing scouts who took the intel through the basement area and I was unable to kill them because they just kept picking up health. Maybe you should shrink the middle health kits into small ones and the large ones near the intel into small/ medium ones.

All the gamemodes played pretty well. But of all of them I liked the single-flag invade mode most. Some of the small bits such as the time after you drop the flag and it takes a few seconds to go neutral made the map play better than most of the invade maps I've tried. 2 flag Invade was less fun. Since it had the same problem as normal ctf: The turtling. People will turtle if they have to, and the bit over the capture zone made it incredibly hard to cap even though the capture zone was quite large. But this might change with more than 6 players. The classic ctf felt exactly like classic ctf, but I can't tell if extreme turtling will be possible with over 12 players. Since the basement area provides a pretty good alternate path.

Navigation was pretty easy even though I hardly noticed any signs. The layout is simple but still interesting. Though it does remind me of wells layout.

Great job, keep it up!

Jan 20, 2010
Okay, so, this is my input. It's all personal preference, so take it as you'd like. Also, excuse my awful drawing skills. I lost the pen to my tablet so I'm drawing with the mouse.

Well, except this first one:

ctf_assembly_a110000.jpg

Something odd is going on there.

Alright, now personal input:

ctf_assembly_a110001.jpg

I feel like there should be a wall here or some sort of blockage. The sniper deck, to me, just feels extremely open. I also suggest putting a health and/or ammo pack behind the wall.

ctf_assembly_a110002.jpg

This place would make a good second entrance to the base-area. Just make a walkway there with stairs that go up to:

ctf_assembly_a110004.jpg

Here (but not on opposite sides. Red side goes to red side. Blue side goes to blue side.) It might give more incentive to battle on the lower level.

ctf_assembly_a110003.jpg

I feel a platform might be okay here to fall down from the sniper deck to give a good place for defense to ambush any attackers. Maybe even have ramps or stairs going up to it from inside the intel room as well.

Last thing. I feel like the intel is incredibly close to the entrance of the base itself. I'm unsure how this plays in the game, and you might know better than me, but it almost seems too easy to get to it. Or maybe that was the intent.

Anyway, that's my input. Hope some of it helps. :]

Apr 19, 2009
Something odd is going on there.
2lazy2fix :V

I feel like there should be a wall here or some sort of blockage. The sniper deck, to me, just feels extremely open. I also suggest putting a health and/or ammo pack behind the wall.
a12 has some improvements in the works that should fix the openness problem. ;)

This place would make a good second entrance to the base-area. Just make a walkway there with stairs that go up to:
a12 does not quite have that but something very similar.

This place would make a good second entrance to the base-area. Just make a walkway there with stairs that go up to: Here (but not on opposite sides. Red side goes to red side. Blue side goes to blue side.) It might give more incentive to battle on the lower level.
hmmmmm This will be under heavy consideration.

Thanks a ton for the feedback! :D

Jan 20, 2010
That is very nice, TPG. Should make things more interesting for those snipers.

Jan 20, 2010
Here's a some more input. Again, just personal preference, so take it as you like.

ctf_assembly_a100000.jpg

I think a walkway here might be nice to allow a bit more cover at the CP and give a (somewhat) quicker way to switch sides. Might also make sentries less powerful as well.

ctf_assembly_a100001.jpg

Some boxes here might be nice to use for some cover and give a good place to place some ammo for spies and engineers.

ctf_assembly_a100003.jpg

A large box (a train car or just some stacked boxes) would be good here for a scout to double jump from the lower area to the higher area without having to take the stairs on the left.

ctf_assembly_a100004.jpg

A ladder here allowing regular classes to get to the top there would allow scouts to get up and double jump over to the center area. Gives a somewhat alternative higher route to scouts if they have the intel or just want to get from one side of the map to the other.

ctf_assembly_a100007.jpg

An alcove here or on the opposite side would be nice to give a good place for ambushing people attempting to take the lower path.

ctf_assembly_a100005.jpg

Some barrels or some sort of cover would be alright here too for ambushing people coming around the corner. Although, I'm not sure if they would be high enough to keep people from jumping on the roof. Should be okay, I believe.

That's all for now. I hope you can get A12 up soon so I can take a look.

Also, just in general, the map feels a little empty. I'm just assuming it's because you aren't finished detailing, but at the moment it feels very dry. I like the layout though, very similar to Well.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I think you are reading my mind. :V

Haha, I try my best. :) How soon until A12?

Edit: Another idea. I think it might be a good idea to move the capture area from back between the stairs to instead back against the windowed wall. At the moment you can just fall into the capture zone and capture the intel which seems a bit too easy. Moving it to the back would discourage that.

Last edited:

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
Invade?? Wait wuuuut??

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Ran around through a12 and here's what I found:

2pt13kx.jpg

20fddnp.jpg

info_observer_points in the void and behind a light.

29mn8tk.jpg

Seems a bit odd to have an open window with glass in it.

xnxnqh.jpg

Door frames aren't clipped all over the place. (I usually place func_brush's under the model and disable collisions)

2mo1m3o.jpg

2q87x4k.jpg

I can stand on/go through these.

s5wok8.jpg

Prop stairs aren't clipped anywhere from what I saw.

That's all I could find that isn't gameplay related. It looks pretty good gameplay-wise but I can't really tell without actually playing with other people. Great job so far though, lookin' good.