artpass_whark

What gametype should Whark's new map be?

• CP

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • CTF

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • PL

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
This is still a gigantic WIP, but I've started on a new skybox texture. Once he gets it set up and I can see how the scale looks, I want to do more with some hills/dunes and a few cirrus clouds. I want to paint some cards with ruins and other structures for out in the distance, too.

01ba5d1d2dbfc524d6b1c1b23fa008556g.jpg

The location is appropriately spytech in design, if not in texture. It looks fine to me. I don't mind the lack of spytech textures, because the area is still spytech (it's just very arabtech). I mean, they're pulling a giant explosive out of the ground. You don't need computers to be spytech.

Yeah, I was really liking the slanted windows, for the way it contrasts with the arabic influence. It's like a low tech spin on spytech, but still very recognizable as such, and that's pretty unique.

Last edited:

Whark

L3: Member
Jul 26, 2010
This is still a gigantic WIP, but I've started on a new skybox texture. Once he gets it set up and I can see how the scale looks, I want to do more with some hills/dunes and a few cirrus clouds. I want to paint some cards with ruins and other structures for out in the distance, too.

01ba5d1d2dbfc524d6b1c1b23fa008556g.jpg

Yeah, I was really liking the slanted windows, for the way it contrasts with the arabic influence. It's like a low tech spin on spytech, but still very recognizable as such, and that's pretty unique.

Cool. I can't wait to see what you do with the sky. And since so far I have two thumbs up on the spytech style windows and one thumbs down for them, I'll keep them as is unless the consensus starts leaning the other way.

I think I'll keep the term "arabtech" in mind as a focus for this area

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
market00002.jpg

market00011.jpg

market00051.jpg

Worked around Control Point C a bit.

market00021.jpg

Made some subtle tweaks to lighting in Red's command center.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I don't know how much you have to work with without changing the gameplay and stuff like that, but it would be cool to look at some options on how this area can be broken up with some interesting contours, like MangyCarface suggested. I'll bet some of those 800000 references will offer some cool possibilities. But I like the transition so far, too. Especially the layered look, and I think it couldn't hurt to bring in some vertical elements as focal points in this area, to contrast with the closeness of the market corridors.

I'll also get you some paintovers for the blue area when I get off work.

I was going to say something else, too, but I forget what it is v:

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
How are you going to integrate the arabic style with a crane holding up CP C?

Haven't figured that out. I'm in the process now. I'm thinking of making a haphazard, homemade style hoisting system instead of a crane.

I like to post these things in very early stages because problems or inconsistencies can be spotted before too much work is done. So that said, what do you think would make sense here?

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Haven't figured that out. I'm in the process now. I'm thinking of making a haphazard, homemade style hoisting system instead of a crane.

I like to post these things in very early stages because problems or inconsistencies can be spotted before too much work is done. So that said, what do you think would make sense here?

Take a look at the wooden cranes in Assassin's Creed 1 or 2. You could easily scale/reinforce those up to "carry" a CP.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Spoiler Alert: The curse is that you get VAC-Banned for knowing how to get it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
One thing I remember reading in a feedback thread about overlays is that posters in game never use the TF font. Something to consider.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
One thing I remember reading in a feedback thread about overlays is that posters in game never use the TF font. Something to consider.

Yeah, I used it only because it was pretty close to the all caps italics I wanted, but I can use like, Helvetica Black or Impact or something. It'll be pretty small text in the game, so hopefully it's legible at all.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I switched the "Pictures presents" font to Helvetica Extra Condensed, Helvetica being the typeface I used for the bottom text initially.

the_curse_of_the_golden_mine_by_chemicalalia-d2y79gt.jpg

How's that look? Too condensed, or AWESOMELY CONDENSED? I can stretch it out if need be.

Last edited: