CP artpass_mrhappy

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Make the entirety of earth the playing area. I'm not sure if Valve will let you change the geometry like that but it would be a truly unique style.

Can't change gravity in Source games, so that wouldn't be possible, directly.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
That's why Mr. Spock lent us some gravity boots.

Here's a couple screenshots because I just can't resist.

artpass_mrhappy0024.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0025.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0027.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0028.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0029.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0030.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0031.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0032.jpg

artpass_mrhappy0033.jpg

Oh, and she comes with a potential hat:

artpass_mrhappy0034.jpg

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Well, you're certainly going to win for originality, but why would a space base have that much outdoor stuff? I'd say work in some broken airlock doors to the things that go outside, or build some sci fi bubble to encase the map.

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
Well thanks :)

I plan on modelling the airlocks tonight (they will be open not busted). I thought about putting glass over it all and I may yet do that in parts though I'm not sure if I want to.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Well thanks :)

I plan on modelling the airlocks tonight (they will be open not busted). I thought about putting glass over it all and I may yet do that in parts though I'm not sure if I want to.

I think a 50s sci-fi-ish glass bubble would look great, but you'd have to do some magic with the shaders to make a transparent material stand out on a black background.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009

Reminds me of The Simpsons movie.

Anyway I sure hope this is optimized enough to be in with a chance. It looks fantastic but some areas seem very detailed and others feel quite bare, such as point B, and on the subject of B, how do you get on the roof?

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
point B needs some work. there will be pipesd to get you on the roof, also, you can jump on all the roofs leading up to it from the leading observation shack by the tall wall fin.

My FPS with better than recommended settings is a full 30 above what I typically get in valve maps in most areas. Havent optimized the lightmaps yeet.

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
Well, you're certainly going to win for originality, but why would a space base have that much outdoor stuff? I'd say work in some broken airlock doors to the things that go outside, or build some sci fi bubble to encase the map.
I think this is what he should do.
Having a huge class bubble over the map would fit the retro-futuristic stereotype of moonbases.

It would justify why the characters can breath while running around without helmets on the moon, and might possibly be a vague explanation why the characters aren't affected by moon gravity (which would be a cool, but likely against the rules due to the major impact on gameplay).

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You have a lot of visual noise on the outside of your base. It worries me that players will find it hard to see other players with that amount of visual noise.

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
A massive bubble over the whole thing would be easy to do but I don't think it would look good. If I was going to glass it in I would build a complex structure connected to the buildings geometry and have to rework damn near everything. I know it's a little unrealistic, but there are open roll doors and airlocks on everything and I've included a potential hat--a helmet--thats lying around in a few places. Also if I have time I will model gravity boots. Perhaps those small touches will assist people in setting aside their disbelief.

"How can I breathe?" "There's a helmet silly" "But I'm not wearing it!" "Well that's your fault now isn't it."

@grazr, this worries me greatly. I'm going to go throw some bots and sentries around and take "where's waldo?" screens.

Last edited:

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
"How come I can have a ghostbusting pack that actualy heals teammates?"
"How come I can magicaly become invisible by the power of a watch?"
"How come I can shoot a rocket at my feet and fly through the air without blowing up"

These things tend to be dismissed, so why can't breathing in space be?

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
There's a machine that makes it happen.

ok I brightened and whitened all the lighting and played with bots, there's no problem identifying players, it looks better, but there are fps drops if you are looking out of the glass at the top level. :/

Time to model even more fps dropping details!

Last edited:

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
"How come I can have a ghostbusting pack that actualy heals teammates?"
Who says it's actually a ghost busting back?
It's retro-futuristic advanced technology.
"How come I can magicaly become invisible by the power of a watch?"
Retro-futuristic advanced spy technology, if you watched some old bond movies and stuff like that you'd understand why it makes sense in TF2.
"How come I can shoot a rocket at my feet and fly through the air without blowing up"
Its an old unintentional mechanic from old TFC, that was justified in TF2 by its comical theme.

These things tend to be dismissed, so why can't breathing in space be?
The other things are there because they are stereotypes, fitting the theme, or comical.
Breathing in space is not funny nor fitting the theme.

Last edited: