artpass_IrishTaxiDriver

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
generally i really really like the arrangement of the scene:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2379&d=1282640557

these holes in the ceiling and bottom with the wooden planks - that has a very unique and cool idea to it.
unfortunately you're kinda killing it for me with your lighting. Theres like roughly 15-16 light sources in this scene - that's pretty overkill for my taste. also it looks very distracting to my eye - it's wobbling around from light to light.
i think if you do your homework there and get some more inspiration concerning the lighting situation (how many light sources, how bright to make it believable....).
i think if you put in that extra mile in the outcome will be totally worth it ! gogogo :D

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
a burnt out satellite/meteorite in the pit below. Make it glow gently and have a bit of smoke coming off it

Ooh I like that. I was thinking UFO but that works a lot better. Course I need to get my hands on that satellite model that someone was working on!

generally i really really like the arrangement of the scene:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2379&d=1282640557

these holes in the ceiling and bottom with the wooden planks - that has a very unique and cool idea to it.
unfortunately you're kinda killing it for me with your lighting. Theres like roughly 15-16 light sources in this scene - that's pretty overkill for my taste. also it looks very distracting to my eye - it's wobbling around from light to light.
i think if you do your homework there and get some more inspiration concerning the lighting situation (how many light sources, how bright to make it believable....).
i think if you put in that extra mile in the outcome will be totally worth it ! gogogo :D

I'll double the light_spots and cut half of the lamps. I'm gonna put in a few extra miles 'cause I want to win :)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
that's the right attitude :D

Draser

L3: Member
May 17, 2010
Wow, i like your work so far, its really coming along nicely :) and as soon as you get the satellite part worked in, PICS PICS! haha, thats gonna be awesome

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Wow, i like your work so far, its really coming along nicely :) and as soon as you get the satellite part worked in, PICS PICS! haha, thats gonna me awesome

I will! But I don't think treythepunkid posted the finished one yet, or this is a horrible case of internet illiteracy for me.

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
Whoa! Thats amazing! It kinda reminds me of a part in Call of Duty 6. I don't remember much because I was at my friends, but it had a bomb fall through some castle.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Updated the OP with a whole batch of new screenshots to reflect the current progress. The old ones were horribly out of date and I've replaced/nodraw'd every dev textured face in the map.

In terms of general detailing, I've got one room by C, the red spawn, and a few logistics errors by B. I'm way ahead of schedule!

I'm working on the satellite stuff now. I found the models (it turns out I am illiterate) and I'm messing with placement and changes I can make to the surrounding areas to reflect the crash.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Heres a batch of new screenshots. Improvements this round consist mostly of hint/skipping, replacing the brush rain with the colliding sprite rain (thanks to Psy), one or two occluders, and a whole lot of nodrawing and gutter placement.

I've also done a first pass of the red spawn (which I'm not set on so only peeks in other screenshots), and every area at least has a base level of detail. Only one room is lacking detail currently, but I've got an idea on what to do.

So in this version I think the outside is completely done. I'll still have to check it over to make sure.

My artist also backed out so I've got some signs to make. Still plenty of time left :)

EDIT: Oh right theres a glimpse of the satellite under C. They're winching it out of the crater.

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Heres a batch of new screenshots. Improvements this round consist mostly of hint/skipping, replacing the brush rain with the colliding sprite rain (thanks to Psy), one or two occluders, and a whole lot of nodrawing and gutter placement.

I've also done a first pass of the red spawn (which I'm not set on so only peeks in other screenshots), and every area at least has a base level of detail. Only one room is lacking detail currently, but I've got an idea on what to do.

So in this version I think the outside is completely done. I'll still have to check it over to make sure.

My artist also backed out so I've got some signs to make. Still plenty of time left :)

EDIT: Oh right theres a glimpse of the satellite under C. They're winching it out of the crater.

Thats one of the coolest point C's i have seen. The broken up boards looks awesome, and is that my satellite model i see? :) :) :) :)

By the way, I will be updating that soon with the clean version of the separate parts and source smds and textures so its Art Pass friendly.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Thats one of the coolest point C's i have seen. The broken up boards looks awesome, and is that my satellite model i see? :) :) :) :)

By the way, I will be updating that soon with the clean version of the separate parts and source smds and textures so its Art Pass friendly.

It is your satellite! I will add you in the OP as I keep forgetting to do it!

I'm not so good with models in source (I was a model mixmaster in goldsource). I think your current version is more than good enough for the context I'm using it in. The rooms with the skylights in the base map are all broken through and there are satellite parts strewn about.

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
That last point reminds me a lot of steel, which was probably one of my favourite takes on the spytech base theme. Keep working at it!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
That last point reminds me a lot of steel, which was probably one of my favourite takes on the spytech base theme. Keep working at it!

My good buddy Fishbus made steel, I did some textures for it and playtested all the versions. I'm happy to echo it!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
My developing computer's video card has finally shit the bed after a slow week of dying. I bought a 4850 to replace it but it won't be here until Thursday :(

In unavailable screenshot news, I've actually detailed every area in the map (trust me I checked, the last jerk of a spot was part of red spawn), did a little more optimizing/nodrawing, started placing posters on bare walls, and threw up cobwebs in a whole smattering of places.

Apr 19, 2009
Had a quick runaround with bots and I have to say this has some really nice detailing going for it. However, I did find a few little nit picks...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-09-24 16-47-59-60.jpg
First off it looked like you can go easily into the room with all the wood and setup shop. It felt a bit like a tease. However, the saw ticked me off a bit more because it looks like you can safely go around it when it really funnels you into your death.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-09-24 16-45-00-23.jpg
This is a bit of a petty nit pick to say people would think they could run out the back door but its a nit I figured I would pick.

Lastly my FPS was taking a bit of a hit even when the bots were off. I assume that optimization is not done?

Other then that, your map is quite the contender!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Had a quick runaround with bots and I have to say this has some really nice detailing going for it. However, I did find a few little nit picks...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-09-24 16-47-59-60.jpg
First off it looked like you can go easily into the room with all the wood and setup shop. It felt a bit like a tease. However, the saw ticked me off a bit more because it looks like you can safely go around it when it really funnels you into your death.

I'll add a half door in that wood room to show you can't go in. I'll also add some props around the saw to show why the player gets funneled into it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1276735/Pictures/Maps/hl2 2010-09-24 16-45-00-23.jpg
This is a bit of a petty nit pick to say people would think they could run out the back door but its a nit I figured I would pick.

I could do a crate wall there. I thought'd it be fine because it was clearly detail and you'd have to turn around to see it.

Lastly my FPS was taking a bit of a hit even when the bots were off. I assume that optimization is not done?

Other then that, your map is quite the contender!

Where was your FPS hit the most? No optimization is not done.

And thank you for saying that!

Last edited:

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Gonna run through it too. I'll use this post for later.

qPPpv.jpg

Missing texture.

jmY9m.jpg

Are you supposed to be able to jump through that window? If not, make it clearer you can't.

03kxR.jpg

More missing texture

jxdmS.jpg

can walk right through those

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Gonna run through it too. I'll use this post for later.

qPPpv.jpg

Missing texture.

03kxR.jpg

More missing texture

Huh, those are movie props. They're Source SDK only then. I'll gut them.

jmY9m.jpg

Are you supposed to be able to jump through that window? If not, make it clearer you can't.

Must've left the clip on there, I'll fix it.

jxdmS.jpg

can walk right through those

Thats a strange one. I thought I would've gotten something as obvious as that! It will be fixed regardless. Thank you :)