Arid

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Well In that case midget , Ill do some shoopin' and be back in a minute.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
Bearing in mind no team is likely to have more than one sentry in 6v6 - and any team that does will lose, I wouldn't be too concerned about the sentry farm. Seems like an interesting change - and it's definitely a positive thing to make the outer, higher route, more useful.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
youpunchedoutallmyblood.jpg

has the dropdown, but the darker ares downstairs are intel room entrances and pink is walls I added/moved / wanted to draw.....

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Bearing in mind no team is likely to have more than one sentry in 6v6 - and any team that does will lose, I wouldn't be too concerned about the sentry farm. Seems like an interesting change - and it's definitely a positive thing to make the outer, higher route, more useful.

It's not on the top of my priorities, but I'd like a mid ground for pub play and 6v6 comp. So it's at least bareable with more players.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 7 Released!
  • Fixed floating mid area
  • added an extra route from the left hand (coming out of spawn)
  • added lighting to the rooms before intel
  • added a drop down area into intel room
  • increased signage inside base
  • func_detailed some stuff

I'm holding off on any /major/ layout changes for now until I can get another 6v6 testing.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Bump for the playtest today.
  • Reduce flag return time.
  • Change intel room some more

Anything else people want done?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
There was a too good sniper spot which was covering the middle. The one on the big dev block, right before the dropdown.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 8 Released!
  • Added cover just outside the dropdown
  • Added a wall around the area outside intel, instead of skybox so rockets explode for splash damage
  • Changed the drop down, and moved it.
  • Moved the wall at the left hand side of the spawn, across.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Just did some lighting tests, crap quality images, buuut, which looks the best (bearing in mind I wanna keep the desertish theme)

Badlands
ctf_arid_lighttest10000.jpg

Granary
ctf_arid_lighttest20001.jpg

Goldrush
ctf_arid_lighttest30002.jpg

Fever
ctf_arid_lighttest40003.jpg

H-land

L2: Junior Member
Jul 15, 2009
Making that side exit a one-way thing would, on the one hand, hinder ninjaneers and pyros and spies and other such unsavory characters that would make me feel unsafe coming out of spawn. However, I didn't feel particularly unsafe at any time during the last playtest, despite this side entrance, and on the other hand, this would make the run to the resupply cabinet and health, precious health, that much longer.
When it gets down to it, I'm not sure that a one-way door there would quite be worth it.

Kireas

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
Said my thoughts directly to you, but sum up:

1 way segment a good idea.

Perhaps choke the side routes a little to force use of the central area.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I would say the whole thing needs to be scaled down slightly. Tighten up the side areas and maybe get rid of the walling around that big ramp. It cuts off the flow between it and the ground, so even if you come out of your base and see someone going up the ramp, engagement is unnecessarily delayed.

The other thing is I believe the structure in the middle is a bit too much of a divider. Blue spawns on the same side as their best attack route, while red spawns on the other side with their best attack route, and so offensive forces rarely clash with each other. The whole game seemed to be split between Blue Offense vs Red Defense, and on the other side Red Offense vs Blue Defense.

Make the whole middle smaller, and make it easier to cross through the structure.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 9 Released!
  • Added mid hp in the mid
  • Tried to make the side door/route less useful.
  • Removed barriers on the side ramps
  • Added a blocked off side route, somewhat
  • Removed small hp from first floor mid

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
The middle felt quite pointless and nobody really used it.
It's probably because it's on raised ground and the structure implies that you shouldn't enter it. Make it brighter and less ominous somehow :p
I thought the distance to cap was a good one, but that ledge that you want to make one way should stay how it is - a challenge to climb up from the wrong side but you get a great reward if you do it.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
I'll add some sort of other barriers to that bit one way thingy as well. A little bit of cover. I still need ways of using the mid.

how about if I were to add a ramp type thing here:

herez.png

Or, possibly a one way ramp (like it is now) just extended all the way across, and a flat bit further along. Incorporating more into that higher area?

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 10 Released!
  • Started out of bounds detailing
  • Increased the width of the ramps to the mid area
  • Added some props kicking about
  • Added 2 walls into each intel room
  • Various other changes I forget

Arid1s.jpg

Arid2s.jpg

Arid3s.jpg

Arid4s.jpg

Arid5s.jpg

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I've never liked the middle of this map because it serves no purpose. It doesn't break off into another path leading into the base nor does it serve as a nice focal point. It's just there, standing around like a bloody idiot whilst everybody wanders past completely ignoring it as there are several better, more viable routes leading into the bases.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
I've never liked the middle of this map because it serves no purpose. It doesn't break off into another path leading into the base nor does it serve as a nice focal point. It's just there, standing around like a bloody idiot whilst everybody wanders past completely ignoring it as there are several better, more viable routes leading into the bases.

Don't worry - I've tried to incorporate it more into the map, and if all else fails I'll block off every passage/choke them beyond beleif until people start using the mid :p

I would've thought 2 small ammos, 2 small hos and a med hp would have been enough encouragement to use that area...

EDIT: Just to let you awesome feedback-posting guise to know, for my mid I was trying to find a way not to use sewers, or a bridge... which lets face it, most ctf maps utilize >.>

Last edited: