Arid

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
Regarding that page, it's still WIP and (as far as I know) screws up in certain browsers but I will have it fixed eventually.

I have some quotes from the killingJoke forum after today's play test:

SurviX said:
Ctf_arid would work as a compititive map. It looked like ctf_turbine(was pretty simple, and not too big which is pretty important for compititive-side map). Adding some health/ammo packs and finishing it to end, it could work as a ctf map on compititive side.

Luxa said:
ctf_arid_a5:
  • overall map structure is good, perfect size for comp. play
  • think middel section of tower should be accesable to all classes (stairs)
  • not enough ammo/health packs, could definately use som on top of tower for demo/solly who jumps up
  • stairs to jump over wall at side entrance for if u walk on the heightened path on side of map (near hp pack)
  • could use more "cover" objects both outside as inside

SCN said:
I agree with luxa, uh, yeh, that is all ;p

Lil Bastard said:
arid looked quite okay, and i enjoyed plaing it.
-it had a few routes to the intel, and the middle tower was a great idea. (but the red glowy room was just stupid)

Hero said:
  • Overall size and style and layout was good
  • Tower needs ways for scouts to get to the top
  • Remake the inner structure of the house, now the route with the garage was sooo much faster then the other that it was like only having 1
  • More hppacks and mostly more ammo
  • remove/remake the little route with a 50%hppack at the end that wasn't good for anything
  • add objects and a few more covers (as luxa said)
  • Move the spawn or intal room a bit, now a demo could watch his stckys from 2m outside of spawn

---

I'll also work on uploading the STV Demo of your map shortly.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for that, it seems to be the same things coming up in pub play and comp, if anything you guys have asked for more things, that I wouldn't have thought about. I have ideas about increasing the complexity as well. So... To hammer!

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Played this for a bit last night and it seems to play quite well. It's pretty fast paced for a regular CTF map and there doesn't seem to be a lot of good turtling positions which is a good thing. The structure in the middle does seem a little redundant to be honest, as the only characters that can scale it are demos and solis and there's not much to do up there other than spam rockets. The real score class on this map at the moment seems to be scouts as the middle area is very easy for them to bounce about in. I'd be tempted to turn the middle structure into a more fully fledged building with stairs and shizzle. Maybe that's just me though.
Also some cover coming out of the main spawn exit would be good, the number of times I ran through that door into a waiting scout or soli started to make me take the route through our own intel area just to get out of the base.

Also the red wall hurt my eyez :p

Last edited:

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 6 Released!
  • Reduced Respawn Wave Times.
  • Added ramps to side route with med hp pack
  • Added a small hp pack to the middle floor of the middle building
  • Added ways to get to middle floor of middle building for all classes.
  • Textured blu intel room
  • Slightly altered the area outside the spawn room - to remove the ability to sticky camp intel from 2m outside
  • func_detailed some stuff, not much
  • Added a little cover from outside main exit

I didn't change much indoors, and didn't add much cover. I'll need to look at more playtests to see for sure what areas need it the most.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
Played Really well just now - totally action packed. As to feedback - think we covered it all in game but i'd say more helath and ammo in the middle and a route into the far left of each side may be a good idea. Difficult though - since the route's you have and the layout you have are clearly working already 8) Nice job.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah man it's working well. I reckon some more interesting bits inside and you're onto a winner with the layout. The changes you made all seem like good ones too.

ooh btw, I noticed the new ramps where the med healthpacks are have little walls by them that are very easy to get stuck on.

Last edited:

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
thoughts after the 10v10 playtest today, which is the worst by far, so far D:

So is it the SGs OP or just the fact there were like 5 of them? Or was it just the teams?

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Did it ever occur to you that it could be the fault of the map and not the players?

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
The fact the numerous other playtests have never encountered the problem before, with the same layout. Makes me think it was the players.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Alright, that's entirely probable.

I found the bases to be a tad to open, and the mid was confusing as hell.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
So, should some signage and cover work?

I want your guys opinions on this as well:

a7001.png

It's a shorter more direct route from your base to the enemy intel, however I feel this may make caps even quicker, and I'm not sure about that S:

EDIT: I'm taking all 10v10 and larger playtests with a pinch of salt, as long as it works with smaller numbers I'm happy.

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
So, should some signage and cover work?

I want your guys opinions on this as well:

a7001.png

It's a shorter more direct route from your base to the enemy intel, however I feel this may make caps even quicker, and I'm not sure about that S:

EDIT: I'm taking all 10v10 and larger playtests with a pinch of salt, as long as it works with smaller numbers I'm happy.

From that 30 minute playtest today, I say it played mighty fine for a small-ish map. I do (as always) have a problem with this map.

Mainly, the sentry cover on the intel, it really shouldn't be that easy to camp.

More engie problems. A single sentry can control the entrance to intel. (I remember a wave of engies and me as pyro >:D)

The whole middle tower (while it provides interesting combat) is useless to most classes. I'm NOT saying remove it, just make it more...accessible.

As a whole, it was fun to play (ps, add the signage :p

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
From that 30 minute playtest today, I say it played mighty fine for a small-ish map. I do (as always) have a problem with this map.

Mainly, the sentry cover on the intel, it really shouldn't be that easy to camp.

More engie problems. A single sentry can control the entrance to intel. (I remember a wave of engies and me as pyro >:D)

The whole middle tower (while it provides interesting combat) is useless to most classes. I'm NOT saying remove it, just make it more...accessible.

As a whole, it was fun to play (ps, add the signage :p

Just FYI, one sentry gun CANNOT, hold down the intel >.> to cover all entrances you'd need at least 4. I've added more signs though.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I feel this map would work well in 6v6, but Intel room is to easily campable and everything in the mid is like a couple units or so above the ground.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Fixed the thing @ mid, I had this crazy scheme:

Whatneedsdone.png

Paint over the base, with anybodys suggestions as to what needs done where. Anything inside the pink lines can be changed.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
So nobody has any ideas whatsoever to do with the bases? Even though alot of people have complained about it? :S

Walker

L2: Junior Member
Oct 22, 2009
So nobody has any ideas whatsoever to do with the bases? Even though alot of people have complained about it? :S

Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!

whatneedsdoneimo.PNG

The pink path I added is a route above the bases from the accessible part of the roof that, currently, does nothing but give snipers and ninjaneers a place to hang out. The red block is a drop down from that path, straight onto the intel. I think I might have suggested this once or twice during testing.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!

whatneedsdoneimo.PNG

The pink path I added is a route above the bases from the accessible part of the roof that, currently, does nothing but give snipers and ninjaneers a place to hang out. The red block is a drop down from that path, straight onto the intel. I think I might have suggested this once or twice during testing.

You sir hit the nail on the head. The only problem still is that even if you can drop onto the intel there could be a sentree horde in the corner and you'll get all of 2 ft.

Id reccommend nobuilding certain parts of the base.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
I'd rather make radical changes than nobuild areas. If I'm perfectly honest, I only see it as a last, last resort.