Arena Lighthouse

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I've tried a variety of lighting styles by plonking in the default light_env settings for 4 different skyboxes and took a screenshot of each one for a side-by-side comparison.

lighting-1.jpg

lighting--2.jpg

lighting-3.jpg

lighting-4.jpg

Take your pick! :thumbup:

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
4 or 2. Though I'm leaning towards 4. Just seems a bit smoother than 2 (not as dark in the dark areas, not as light in the light areas).

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
1 or 2.

1 is nice and light without being too bright. There is good contrast between the lit and shadowed areas, but not so much that the eyes will have to do a lot of adjusting when moving between the two.

2 is probably a better choice as far as atmosphere goes. It makes the whole place feel much more like it's some sort of seaside shack town. Obviously it's darker than number 1, so I think the major deciding factor here is whether you want a darker or lighter map.

3 is getting the raw deal on this one because, for the angle of the light, it's a poor angle to take a screenshot from. Everything looks too bright because the buildings are blocking their own shadows. I don't like how 3 looks from this angle, but my opinion might change if I were shown another shot from a perpendicular angle.

4, seems just a tad on the dark side to me. I like it, and perhaps it would look different in-game, but I think number 2 is your better bet if you want a slightly darker map.

On another note, did you happen to use a prop wood texture on one of those buildings? It's the one directly behind the big Blu building and the lighthouse in the upper left quadrant of the screenshots. That structure back there seems strangely lit in shots 1 and 2, I can't tell about shot 3, but in shot 4 it's practically glowing.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I accidently used the vertexlit version of the wood texture. I did realise this when I was taking screenshots but I couldn't be bothered to fix it as I was watching AVGN between compiles. :p

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
I like 4, but there's a weird lighting with the buildings in the distance, near the right of the lighthouse.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I like 4, but there's a weird lighting with the buildings in the distance, near the right of the lighthouse.

Like I said, I selected the wrong texture and applied the model texture as opposed to the lightmapped texture.

It seems that number 4 is victorious. Thanks for all your opinions. :)

Sep 12, 2008
Hmm..
For gameplay 1 would be better I think, but for the view 4 would be the winner..
So 1 is my favourite because 4 is just too dark.

Last edited:

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Theres houndred light maps, go 4 or at least 2.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
I like 4 because it gives the map a unique look that no other map have. That's how I imagine a small lighthouse island :p

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
lighting-4.jpg

lighting-5.jpg

Comparison between #4 (Badlands) and #5 (Well).

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Damn, 5 is nice. I really like the shadows it casts on the hills in the surrounding area.

Hmmm.... I think I'm going to have to go with 5 now.