Are you smarter than 50% of TF2maps.net?

Are you smarter than 50% of TF2maps.net?

• Yes

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 39.7%

• Total voters

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Why are people taking this thread seriously?

See, the joke here is that more than 50% of people are going to say they're smarter than average, when in reality that can't be true.

its like, one of those jokes that is really deep in the end. we can never truly understand ourselves and also you've actually been stupid your entire life

While I'm at it, I might as well add that you can absorb a lot of information and still be stupid. Any time somebody does something original, there's at least some amount of thinking involved. So being smart, to me, is just being able to figure shit out with little or no outside help.

(this is why we should all be afraid of boojum)

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Hmm, No because none of us have tried to make GladOS a reality.
Seriously should we try to build a valve universe based OS?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I guess it depends on whether we're discussing actual intelligence or potential intelligence. We all have the potential to be smart or dumb. But I would be surprised if you knew a lot of intelligent people who couldn't articulate themselves without perhaps say a communicative disability or language barrier involved.

I don't think i could be blamed for making presumptions about Element Boi based on his post history that ran along the lines of that he's either young, holds no value in communication, has communicative difficulties or that English is a second language for him.

Those who communicate like morons tend to prove themselves to be morons on one level or another. Why else would someone speak broken English if they weren't lazy or didn't pay attention in class?

I never called Element Boi dumb. I just found it ironic that someone would claim to be in the top 5% of "intelligent people" with a sentence formed in broken English. Not to mention fail to specify what population he was talking about; the population of TF2maps? The world? Your country? Anyone who valued what they were saying would have done their best to communicate what they meant and if they couldn't... it was either a resitriction based on extenuating social cirumstances or basic intelligence.

On a side note:

I also find it interesting, forming a debate based on defining intelligence here, that a friend of mine can pass a maths degree with a first class mark. Yet she cannot boil an egg, she consistently leaves the polystyrene tray on the base of pizza's before putting them in the oven, and thinks she has fallen in love with any man that ends up sleeping with her. She constantly makes bad decisions that would be common sense for anyone else. Her first car was an expensive first hand 4 door car she scraped within 4 days of purchase because she was a learner despite advice from all her friends to get a second hand 2 door car for her first few months/years driving. She doesn't seem very intelligent does she? But she still managed a first class degree in mathematics. I just guess being a pampered only child and single for all 25 years of you life and being betrayed by anyone you considered a "bff" throughout your life makes you bad with people and basic tasks.

grazr

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I picked Yes. Am I wrong to presume such a thing? :(

Probably not (as far as i know, you just google everything :) ) but even in cases of ridiculous mental superiority (lets be impersonal and say Einstein) I'm inclined to think people are all the better for not believing in their own intelligence. I'd like Einstein a lot less if instead of "You may have difficulty in mathematics. I assure you mine are still greater" he'd said "You may have difficulty in mathematics. That's ok, we can't all be as smart as me."

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Probably not (as far as i know, you just google everything :) ) but even in cases of ridiculous mental superiority (lets be impersonal and say Einstein) I'm inclined to think people are all the better for not believing in their own intelligence. I'd like Einstein a lot less if instead of "You may have difficulty in mathematics. I assure you mine are still greater" he'd said "You may have difficulty in mathematics. That's ok, we can't all be as smart as me."

its important to know how he'd say "You may have difficulty in mathematics. That's ok, we can't all be as smart as me."
it can be said in a way that is laughing at everyone else, it can be just strong confidence without considering other people subhumans or it can be just joking around while actually being humble and nice about his mathematical superiority. the same sentence can have different degrees of arrogance depending on how its being said.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
While on the subject, now that I've stopped to smell the roses, rather than passing through and dropping a vote, I feel like going off on a ramble.

As odd as it may (or may not?) be, though semantics, I don't see "smart" the same as "intelligent" for the reason that I've always felt intelligence is only one part of three. The way I break down the issue of "smartness" or whatever you want to call someone's overall abilities is that there is intelligence, knowledge, and wisdom.

Intelligence for the most part would be your innate mental ability that isn't really learned or grown. Logical computation and reasoning abilities. Related to this is how IQ tests are full of basically irrelevant exercises that draw off experiences or learned information very little. To use a bad analogy, intelligence would be like a CPU's hertz, raw computational power.

Knowledge is everything you learn. The information you need to make use of your intelligence. You may be gifted at mathematics from birth, but until you pick up a text book and gain the knowledge of how math works you won't be solving anything.

Wisdom is a little harder for me to define, but basically being able to properly make use of your abilities. Knowing when to do or say what. In my view, this is the part that is the holy grail of AI, and the thing humans are still vastly superior to computers in.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
I tried clicking on the bread when I opened the thread. So no.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Needless to say I voted no.

You all know why XD